Iconic DC Comics Character - Gay

Given that Shazam (dislike them officially renaming him to that) is the B-story in Justice League I wouldn't bet on it. This is a shameless attention grab, you'd want to do it in a main title, not a back-up feature.

The reason to pick an established character for this is pure pandering. When Batwoman was introduced back into the continuity in 52 all the media would talk about is her being a lesbian. It no doubt overshadowed everything else about her to some, to the point where that was all people knew about her. Now take a character who's already been around for 50 years and has a build-in fan base and is a proven commodity, then have them come out of the closet. Gay doesn't become the defining characteristic for that character, it just becomes another aspect of who they are.

Honestly, what is going to appeal more to the targeted demographic of this attention grab, a new character made purely for the sake of diversity, or an established character coming out?

The cover of X-Men 51 has two guys getting married. A black guy and an elf. And all teh X-men are there so they all approve.

Y'know, comics are for kids. I know many adults read them, but they are for kids. So why drag sex into it؟

If I made a comic to show gay sex to boys I'd be arrested as a perv.

The cover of X-Men 51 has two guys getting married. A black guy and an elf. And all teh X-men are there so they all approve.

Y'know, comics are for kids. I know many adults read them, but they are for kids. So why drag sex into it؟

What comics are you reading? Most of them aren't written for young kids these days.

I'd expect the X-Men to approve, since mutants are an expy for every minority.

Um no. Comics are not for kids. They haven't catered to kids since the death of the Comics Authority years ago.

And just for your edification, the 'black guy and an elf' are Kyle and Jean-Paul Beaubier, otherwise known as Northstar.

They do still sell comics expressly for kids, but yeah, it's usually over in the corner of the comic store, at least a good comic shop should have that corner.

Yes, those titles are called Tiny Titans and Super Hero Squad. Maybe the book based on whatever the kiddiest DC cartoon is too.

Most comics haven't been targeted at kids since at least TDKR.

Maybe they are going for the 1950s meaning of Gay.....

anyone seen the Deleted scene from bttf "
Marty: "What if I go back to the future and end up being... gay?"
Doc Brown: "Why shouldn't you be happy?"

Isn't it obvious? The "Iconic" male character not seen since the New 52 relaunch is Icon. DC can pump it's diversity to the max. Now they can cover an African American Superman and a gay Superman all in one swipe.

551074_368313189901426_1397115219_n.jpg

any more questions? :D

eeeeeeehhhh, nope. The Joker is too busy being insane to be gay. But I heard his voice with that pictoral joke including the silly saxophone of love and the "wah wah" in the last pic. Thanks for nothing EoS…

Last edited:
It's interesting how the keepers of what defines what kinds of diversity is worthy of championing come to their decisions.

I can think of tons of other examples of diversity we will never see hyped and splashed on a comic anytime soon as it would not be favored by the present guard of such matters.

eeeeeeehhhh, nope. The Joker is too busy being insane to be gay. But I heard his voice with that pictoral joke including the silly saxophone of love and the "wah wah" in the last pic. Thanks for nothing EoS…

Safe to say it will not be any villian.

This kind of change requires it be a good guy.

I guess even a fictional person can't come out of the closet without upsetting some people.
That's really not a fair statement.

I think there's more than one way to look at this.

Are they messing around with an "icon"?
Are they pandering to an audience?

I think those are very legitimate points. Marvel did this the right way a long time ago... and to be honest, we haven't seen how DC will do this yet. But, frankly at this point in time it seems desperate, it seems like they're pandering to an audience and hoping to exploit a cause.

Do people have a right to be upset? I'm not sure yet... the fact that they're using terms like 'iconic' does upset me. Not because that this fictional person is gay - but, because they're taking established characters and using them for something they are not (or at least were not).

To me, it's not about the 'gay' issue. It's about DC desperate publicity stunt and who and how they're using a character and exploiting the 'gay' issue.

I guess even a fictional person can't come out of the closet without upsetting some people.

It's more mucking around with characters that weren't written with that intention is my concern and what makes that ok and not ok to do.

I really dont care to read about Superman or Batman going to gay weddings of Jimmy Olsen or Alfred's because that was never how those characters were written.

If they want to use a new character for that then fine.
I suppose a character that never had much past written on the matter
may work.

That is my concern, what next? Which character gets a new realignment for the claim of diversity sake and who are the keepers of what is diverse worthy to alter a character?

A lot of theories float around about the X-men being an allegory for the Harvey Milk School. Not sure about the sturdiness of those theories, but still. I also wouldn't doubt that it could be a back-burner character (Captain Marvel) just to get publicity on that certain character. Batman (and the like) doesn't need more publicity.

I still think we should just take a chance and go all out with Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. They're so funny and cute together.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back