How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

I watched the movie. Seriously do you really think they meant to just go off into the wilderness and maybe teach one person?

Its ambiguous. It could have meant teach your sister, teach your entire family, or go off and start a school. We don't know. We weren't meant to know. I think what we all do know now is that, since GL never really had some massive plan for these movies, he didn't know what it meant either. Anyone saying they knew exactly what Yoda meant by that line is just projecting their own expectations into it. It could mean a lot of things.

So, here's a thought. What if Luke tried to start a school and teach a bunch of people at once, and it all went to hell? What if he simply failed as a teacher? Great as a Jedi, lousy as a Jedi Instructor.

I think that, while these stories are keeping with many of the same beats and cyclical structures as the previous films, they're also expanding and changing the emotional tone of the films. It's not exclusively a big, rollicking space fantasy now; it's got different layers to it, or at least has the potential to be that way. The end result is that even if there's some big snow battle, and Rey gets her hand cut off, there's still going to be emotional differences to this film.

So, here's a thought. What if Luke tried to start a school and teach a bunch of people at once, and it all went to hell? What if he simply failed as a teacher? Great as a Jedi, lousy as a Jedi Instructor.

I think that, while these stories are keeping with many of the same beats and cyclical structures as the previous films, they're also expanding and changing the emotional tone of the films. It's not exclusively a big, rollicking space fantasy now; it's got different layers to it, or at least has the potential to be that way. The end result is that even if there's some big snow battle, and Rey gets her hand cut off, there's still going to be emotional differences to this film.

It was firmly established in TFA Luke did start a Jedi Academy with likely more then one student, in not sure why some people seem to be forgetting this.

It was firmly established in TFA Luke did start a Jedi Academy with likely more then one student, in not sure why some people seem to be forgetting this.

That was certainly the conclusion I drew from the film...

I mean, setting aside Kylo, there's still the issue of the Knights of Ren (and Stimpy). Who are they? Where'd they come from? Maybe they're ex-pupils as well, corrupted by Kylo or something?

I guess a lot of this boils down to what kind of SW film you're hoping for. Are you more into a film that delivers some well earned emotional gut punches, like the originals did? Or would you rather see a focus on visceral thrills like spaceship battles and ass-kicking light saber action? I don't see why we can't have both in the same film.

Here are two direct quotes from Rian Johnson that keep me optimistic:

"That was the first thing I had to figure out. Why is Luke on that island? And I didn’t have any answers. But it’s not like you can just pick anything you want out of the air. I grew up having a sense of who Luke Skywalker is. It guides you to a very specific path. I know he’s not hiding on the island. I know he’s not a coward. He must be there for a reason that he believes in. You’re finding a path forward, but there end up being fewer choices than you think."

"That’s him (Luke, saying "it's time for the Jedi to end" in the trailer). It sounds pretty dire. That’s something that we’re definitely going to dig into. The heart of the movie is Luke and Rey. It follows all the other characters, but its real essence is the development of the two of them. And it’s absolutely tied up in that question of, what is Luke’s attitude toward the Jedi?"

That sounds like a filmmaker, who also happens to be a decent writer, taking these characters seriously. I think that's cause for hope, not handwringing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...on.html?referer=https://t.co/ivMmbxWQPf?amp=1

I guess a lot of this boils down to what kind of SW film you're hoping for. Are you more into a film that delivers some well earned emotional gut punches, like the originals did? Or would you rather see a focus on visceral thrills like spaceship battles and ass-kicking light saber action? I don't see why we can't have both in the same film.

"That was the first thing I had to figure out. Why is Luke on that island? And I didn’t have any answers. But it’s not like you can just pick anything you want out of the air. I grew up having a sense of who Luke Skywalker is. It guides you to a very specific path. I know he’s not hiding on the island. I know he’s not a coward. He must be there for a reason that he believes in. You’re finding a path forward, but there end up being fewer choices than you think."

"That’s him (Luke, saying "it's time for the Jedi to end" in the trailer). It sounds pretty dire. That’s something that we’re definitely going to dig into. The heart of the movie is Luke and Rey. It follows all the other characters, but its real essence is the development of the two of them. And it’s absolutely tied up in that question of, what is Luke’s attitude toward the Jedi?"

That sounds like a filmmaker, who also happens to be a decent writer, taking these characters seriously. I think that's cause for hope, not handwringing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...on.html?referer=https://t.co/ivMmbxWQPf?amp=1

Don't be ridiculous, it's just a remake of ESB...

Stop making sense!

Don't be ridiculous, it's just a remake of ESB...

I'm sure we'll hit some of the highlights of ESB in this. Disney is keenly aware that nostalgia pays dividends for its Star Wars films. But I think they've also realized that a fresh take on things is paying off as well.

TFA was not just a remake of ANH. Yes, in broad strokes/high-level plot points, it was. It hit many familiar beats. But it also did a bunch of stuff differently. It has a more varied cast in terms of demographics. Its emotion, I would argue, is much more raw and intense. When Han dies, it's an incredibly intense scene across the board. The acting, the music, even the lighting is all really intense. Way moreso than Obi-Wan's duel with Vader, which takes the mentor figure out of the film and spurs the hero to action. The space battle to destroy Starkiller Base is visually intense as well. It's literally sucking a sun dry, with night descending on the world itself, plunging everything into darkness, all while the Resistance fights to stop them. Again, way more intense than the Trench Run from ANH, which is, visually speaking, actually a pretty brightly lit affair. I'd argue that the tone is in many ways more somber, too. Yes, the good guys won this round, but it came at great cost, and everyone knows the stakes have just gotten incredibly high. It's a victory, but a melancholy one. Far more mystery is introduced in the film, too. ANH was pretty up front with what was going on. The Force wasn't a big mystery. It was exactly what Ben said it was, and the audience had no reason to assume otherwise. It's only after additional films came out that the Force became a bit more mysterious. Luke's family history was unknown to Luke and to the audience, but for the most part, it didn't really matter. Again, there was no reason to doubt Ben, so it didn't come across as actually generating a mystery to be uncovered.

Some may disagree with some of the differences between TFA and ANH (e.g., if you, like me, are not a fan of "mystery box" contrivances, you may not like the introduction of these big questions that have yet to be paid off), but the film is still different.

Rogue One, likewise, was a very different Star Wars film. Yes, it's set in a very familiar setting and focuses on an event where we already know the general outcome (theft of the Death Star plans). But it's tonally way, way darker than pretty much anything that came before. The Star Wars Wild Bunch, really (although, they're more heroic than the Peckinpah film's characters). The rebels are cast in much more morally grey terms, too, with Alliance Intelligence appearing willing to really get dirty to complete the mission and the one insurgent group on Jedha actively engaging in torture. And, sure, it featured a bunch of sequences that hit emotional beats similar to the other films (a big starfighter attack on a space station, a ground battle against big walking machines, heroes shooting their way through Imperial corridors), but the overall path that the movie follows is different from any Star Wars movie that came before.

I think Disney has recognized the success of these films, and recognized that taking things in a different direction -- while retaining surface-level familiarity -- is paying off. So, while there may be rumors of this or that plot point being hit that mirrors an older film, I think it's a safe bet that whatever comes won't just be some tired retread of the same ol' same ol'. Although I've admittedly kept myself in a near total blackout about the new film. (And would appreciate staying that way, so any details, please spoiler-tag in here, if you wouldn't mind.)

Honestly, the only thing I've been worried about with Disney's current stewardship of Star Wars is the apparent interest in mining old characters for stories. I'm less interested in [Character]: The Backstory, and more interested in new characters. Had Rogue One ended differently, I'd have enjoyed seeing what happened next for that group. Assuming this new Han Solo movie isn't a complete disaster and I like the characters that are introduced (and hopefully not killed off), I'll likely enjoy the Solo film being the platform from which their stories are launched, rather than creating a Han Solo franchise. (I have the Brian Daley trilogy for that, if I want it.)

I haven't forgotten it. I would have had no problem with it if Luke had just one, ONE, fully trained Jedi. He had plenty of time to train Kylo and at least another. My problem is whether that was done intentionally for the story or to get Luke back to the sole Jedi Obi Wan role since they were so intent on paralleling ANH? The latter points to that being the case.

We recently have learn that Luke thought of kylo as the "new chosen one" the one to start a new generation of Jedi.

I'm curious to know the origins of the knights of ren, are they Luke's students who think the same thing of kylo? Did Luke preach to his students kylo is the new generation?

And when kylo flipped the knights went with him?

This is even if the knights are force sensitive

Something tells me the knights are nothing more then smokes elite super soldiers (like death troopers)

I THINK I want the knights to be force sensitive, lightsaber wielders... but I also liked not seeing them use the force or have lightsabers in TFA. It made kylo more "special" to me. The leader of the group capable of wielding a saber where the rest of them carried other inferior weapons

I figure we will get their back story in a comic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The questions are...
1. Where is Luke's lightsaber?...
2. What was the change requested by Rian Johnson of JJ for the end of TFA?...

1. Its no where on his belt in TFA. We have seen many angles of behind the scenes footage with no saber hanging :(

Rumor is the lightsaber in TLJ is kept in his man purse he's wearing.. but who knows

2. The only change I can think of by request was rian asked JJ to switch BB8 with R2. Originally it was BB8 that would go with Rey and chewie to find Luke. Rian asked for it to be R2, hopefully we will learn why. And being a huge r2 fan I hope we get more of him in TLJ then we did in TFA

1. Its no where on his belt in TFA. We have seen many angles of behind the scenes footage with no saber hanging :(

Rumor is the lightsaber in TLJ is kept in his man purse he's wearing.. but who knows

2. The only change I can think of by request was rian asked JJ to switch BB8 with R2. Originally it was BB8 that would go with Rey and chewie to find Luke. Rian asked for it to be R2, hopefully we will learn why. And being a huge r2 fan I hope we get more of him in TLJ then we did in TFA

Lets say that... TFA is more of a greatest hits when it comes to it's use of moments/beats to help move the story forward then it is a lift of ANH... In that light these moments/beats come from across all of the OT maybe even some PT... TLJ won't just look to ESB for these beats in telling it's part of the story... This in respect to Rians Request and the question of... Where is Luke's lightsaber?...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back