How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

I figured it out by the toys being released. Luke does not use a light saber at anymore. since snook is rocking a big ring on his hand is give away. So they both must have moved on to the power of the Schwartz! Yes! The Schwartz. As Mel Brooke predicted the sequel title " the search of more money"

I think he's gonna use the saber in the finale of the film. We're all waiting for it,so I'm sure it will be the big moment in the last act. Much like yoda in episode 2 when we first get to see him fight. If they include it in all the toys it would kinda spoil it cause we would all be waiting the whole film for him to ignite it.look how awsome Vaders moment in rouge one was,can you imagine a moment similar with luke skywalker .

Well with how the movie is going they are going to have Luke step back and Rey will be the one to save the day. I like Rey, so I don't mean that in a "OMG they are making a woman the hero!" way. That was one of the major problems with the Legends stuff where there were problems Luke should have personally gotten involved in, but they had someone else to try and do it. It's like in the Prequels when the crap was really hitting the fan, Yoda went out personally.

Seriously, a topic on this? Why couldn't this just be in the massive SW topic already?

I don't care at all about Star Wars, but here's what I will think, "They're not pandering to ADD-riddled masses by constantly swinging around a lightsaber every 5 seconds. A surprising risk. The movie might have something to actually say than just mindless fanservice this time."

But really, does it matter? Would you like this character any less without the glow stick weapon? I thought everyone says how brilliant this franchise is and how deep; yet in the end, does it only come down to if the main character gets an action scene or not with an iconic weapon?
Why? Hasn't that want been sated in the old movies time and time again?

Wouldn't it be more interesting to see character evolution? He's jaded and/or mature enough to not see the point of fighting like that, etc.
Hell, even I might go see it if that were the case.

Last edited:
The RPF really needs a down vote button for post. Just saying.

Back to the OP's question...I would personally like to see Luke achieving a Master Jedi status that has eclipsed all the Jedi before him. Does he need to whip out his Saber? No, but should he? Hell to the yes, Lads. He should, and it should be an epic beat down on Liberace Snoke. Hell, I would be happy, if he opens a can of Jedi whoop ass, using Snoke's own saber. Not only does Luke not break a sweat coming out of retirement/excile...but he just whooped your ass, using your own Saber!

This is how I'd do it...

Enter scene: Rey stands before Luke Skywalker, her arm outstretched towards him holding his long lost lightsaber....

Luke: "Now that's a lightsaber I've not seen in a long time. A long time" (Luke rubs his mechanical hand with his left hand).

He reaches out slowly and Rey hands the Skywalker Family Lightsaber to him.

Luke: "My Father wanted me to have this when I was old enough, but my Uncle wouldn't allow it." (CRACK-HISSS!!!! the lightsaber springs to life! The light illuminating Rey's face and eyes)

Luke: "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. How did you come by it?"

Rey: "It... called to me, but I want nothing to do with it. It's yours, you keep it."

Luke: (Deactivates the lightsaber) "And what would I have need of it for?"

Rey: "What? You're needed to help defeat The First Order. General Organa-Solo sent me to deliver it to you so that you could fight them!"

Luke: "I have forseen a great many things. The Force is strong in my Family. My Father had it, I have it, my sister has it..."(Luke looks down at the ground) "her son has it. My..." (Luke looks back up at Rey)... "I have no need of this lightsaber."

(The ground shakes. Giant boulders elevate behind Luke and what appears to be a headstone cracks in half. Luke jerks his head to see the headstone fall over, a wave of emotion crosses his face, then snaps to calm and the boulders crash to the ground.)

Rey: " How can you say that? You're the Last Jedi! You have to join the fight!"

Luke: " No, there is another way. Always two there are, a Master, and an Apprentice."

Rey looks on confusedly.

Luke: "You are to learn the ways of the Force if you are to accompany me to this conflict. And you will need this..." (He stretches out his mechanical hand, still holding the lightsaber in it)

Luke: " I want you to have it."

Says the dude with zero SWIQ, who has no interest in Star Wars..yet feels compelled to post in a Star Wars thread:thumbsup

I'm not allowed to post on something I find ridiculous? K. Did I not add something to the topic, despite it being different from popular opinion? Thought forums were places to exchange opinions.

The fact you think internet points matter doesn't make me think any higher of you, dude. Very, very sad.

Nice touch too with having to thumb up your own comment.

Last edited:
They're not pandering to ADD-riddled masses by constantly swinging around a lightsaber every 5 seconds. A surprising risk. The movie might have something to actually say than just mindless fanservice this time. Would you like this character any less without the glow stick weapon? yet in the end, does it only come down to if the main character gets an action scene or not with an iconic weapon? Why? Hasn't that want been sated in the old movies time and time again? Wouldn't it be more interesting to see character evolution? He's jaded and/or mature enough to not see the point of fighting like that, etc.

Did I not add something to the topic, despite it being different from popular opinion? Thought forums were places to exchange opinions.

Yes, forums like this one are indeed a place to exchange opinions. That's why we're all here. Had you only said what you did the way I edited out all the stone throwing above, it would have been a valid argument.

Unfortunately, you decided to present yourself in a way contrary to the spirit of The RPF. You might have interesting ideas and theories to share, but if you continue to belittle the people you are talking to... they will not hear you, all they will hear is the insults. I hope in the future that you express your ideas about plotlines, etc. in a manner befitting a member of the community here.

Yes, forums like this one are indeed a place to exchange opinions. That's why we're all here. Had you only said what you did the way I edited out all the stone throwing above, it would have been a valid argument.

Unfortunately, you decided to present yourself in a way contrary to the spirit of The RPF. You might have interesting ideas and theories to share, but if you continue to belittle the people you are talking to... they will not hear you, all they will hear is the insults. I hope in the future that you express your ideas about plotlines, etc. in a manner befitting a member of the community here.

Point taken.
Inner annoyance comes strong when dealing with SW for me, which is mostly why I avoid discussions of it completely.

Totally agree but I worry about the choices for his character arc. What if Luke's force ability has surpassed the need for a lightsaber? It may suit the overall story but it won't sit well with the fans.
He has become more Yoda-like rather than Obi-Wan so this would make sense. I do hope he fires it up for one special sequence at least though just for old times sake;)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

My father passed away in December 1976 and I was just coming out of a long depression. He was everything to me. My mom decided to send me and my friends to the movies on her despite the fact we were so poor we only had 1 meal per day. She dropped us off at the theater on a Sat afternoon in June 1977. I was 14 years old sitting in my favorite theater with my 2 best friends. We didn't know much about the movie we decided to see but we loved the lobby cards and we had seen pictures of the action figures. From the second the scroll began I was in a new place.

This day changed my life. When Luke lit his Lightsaber for the first time a joy unlike any other passed through me. The magic of this movie opened me back up to the possibility of happiness and joy. I will never forget that moment and I also hope he sparks it up again these 40 years later.

My father passed away in December 1976 and I was just coming out of a long depression. He was everything to me. My mom decided to send me and my friends to the movies on her despite the fact we were so poor we only had 1 meal per day. She dropped us off at the theater on a Sat afternoon in June 1977. I was 14 years old sitting in my favorite theater with my 2 best friends. We didn't know much about the movie we decided to see but we loved the lobby cards and we had seen pictures of the action figures. From the second the scroll began I was in a new place.

This day changed my life. When Luke lit his Lightsaber for the first time a joy unlike any other passed through me. The magic of this movie opened me back up to the possibility of happiness and joy. I will never forget that moment and I also hope he sparks it up again these 40 years later.

This post deserves more than a "Like". Thanks for sharing that.

The film changed my life, as well, on that extraordinary day in early June, 1977.

The Wook

I can imagine Luke standing still, looking at the saber, asking Rey: "Who are you? ... And where did you get that?" Rey replies "It found me, it showed me... things. It brings bad luck to the weilder." Luke tells her: "There's no such thing as luck..."

Rocks raise, and fly toward Rey, she activates the saber, slicing and blocking every rock thrown in her direction. Luke says "you have natural skill, let's improve, starting now."

Rey deflects rocks with one hand, spins around and force throws the rocks back toward Luke. Luke drops the cloak, a green blur is seen, dust explodes as he powerfully yet precisely swings his green lightsaber through the wall of rocks.

They stare at eachother, both shocked yet impressed. "Good. You're taking your first steps. You will find the force is everywhere, flowing through you, guiding you on your journey. That lightsaber didn't call to you alone, the force called to you, too. You have a very strong connection with them."

Rey: "Tell me about the force. The jedi."
Luke: "I can't tell you. But I will show you the force. And each side it resides on.. Clear your mind.. Relax... Breathe... Just breathe..."

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back