HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 5 is up

Re: HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 3 is up

You'd be better off making new ones based on Brad's video. I am off to our local fabrics supplier now to see what they have in way of vinyl.

for just the strap on the k mags, where do you plan to put the inverter and battery?

and do you know which inverter and battery you are getting?

im trying to find the smallest ones, as im trying to think where to put them on these k mags.

On that Clonemags replica, he's planning to use 2 small watch battery cells with a small inverter and a switch for his entire el strap, led and el sole lights.

i was thinking of using his method but just for the strap by itself. I messaged him many times and emailed him but never get a response from him for some reason, i hope someone else can help.

I did find one small inverter/driver called "tiny tim" with a switch built in, it takes a watch battery, but it still looks too big.

ol8a9.jpg

All i want to do is have 2 straps one for each shoe, each with the nike logo or maybe a different unique logo lighting up and thats all. I don't have the courage to do anything else!

that plastic piece at the back of the k mags (lame copy of the back foam piece) is quite thin, so im trying to think where i could put the inverter and battery after the strap is on.

if someone could advise where to put it, that would be great. as on the mark poon replicas, you guy are obviously opening up the soles to put the battery and inverter in to hide it, but on the knockoffs, there's isn't any space to hide anything unless you start cutting up which i don't wish to do.

I'm sure a really small inverter, and a small watch battery would be able to be hidden easily.

Hopefully someone knows.

Last edited:

The kind I have has a slight pattern but it is very close to the original MAG that also has a slght pattern to it.

Thanks for that. Even the high rez images don't really show any texture, so I wasn't sure. $15/LM for the vinyl and a pair of straps will use less than $1.50 worth of material, so a very cheap conversion project here :) EL paper and inverter? Well that is another story.

for just the strap on the k mags, where do you plan to put the inverter and battery?

I am kind of interested in taking the approach I believe NIKE have used and build that all into the back of the shoe rather than cutting a block out of the mid sole for a 9V battery. This way wiring simply runs through the strap.

and do you know which inverter and battery you are getting?

Not really, no. I have not even found suppliers of EL products in this country. Someone must sell it, otherwise it is EBAY for me.

im trying to find the smallest ones, as im trying to think where to put them.
All i want to do is have 2 straps, each with the nike logo lighting up and thats it for these k mags.

Given I have black sole inserts on my MAGs, there is really nothing more that can be done on these anyway. I don't care much for the "computer lights" on the side of the heel.

that plastic piece at the back of the k mags (lame copy of the back foam piece) is quite thin, so im trying to think where i could put the inverter and battery after the strap is on.

The one Cloneprops made is nice and thick and has battery recesses. I think it will be possible to build this part up or make a new one. I'll have a go making a new pair. When I rebuilt the foam one from the MP MAGs, I used 4" PVC pipe behind the foam as it seems to be the perfect radius for the curve to fit around the ankle. I wonder if using that solvent based glue and laminating a few layers of pipe could work? If so, glue first, then cut out the part from that. Say 4 layers = 12mm?

if someone could advise where to put it, that would be great. as on the mark poon replicas, you guy are obviously opening up the soles to put the battery and inverter in to hide it, but on the knockoffs, there's isn't any space to hide anything unless you start cutting up.

Where is the battery on the real MAG shoe? Is it in behind that ankle buckle? It makes sense to have it there as that is also where the charger plugs in.

yeah, on the real mag, i think they are using small watch batteries or something, because the charger plugs straight into the back foam piece.

still searching for the smallest inverter available and which battery to use.

ill try see what clonemags is using if he ever responds.

I have not seen a pair of the real shoes and I guess I am not likely to ever. Apparently they limited the EBAY sale to the US because of this battery. So I don't think that part is foam. I think it is a hard molded plastic. It is also glued on the shoe and is not removable meaning you can't ever replace the batteries. I guess the idea is that once the batteries run their said "hours", that is it.

Sweet! That looks like the stuff I can get here.

Yep. When you make the strap you can make it bigger. Believe me, I know this shoe all too well. :)

Many thanks for the tutorials, they are amazing.

For my knockoff mags el strap, ive been searching for the smallest inverter and battery combination but having trouble choosing the appropriate ones.

I was looking at getting a tiny 3v inverter, a tiny cr2032 watch battery holder, and a very small on off switch and then connecting these to the dollhouse tape wire you have used in your tutorial. Then it may be be possible to hide these behind the plastic back piece on the by velcroing it on or something.

But then i found this prebuilt tiny el inverter which takes 1 watch battery, has a tiny el inverter in it and an on off switch all in one piece.

http://proto-pic.co.uk/tiny-el-inverter/

The dimensions are 1cm by 4cm by 2cm which is slightly bulky, but it may be ok.

What i was wondering is that since that tiny el inverter already has a female connector on it. Is it better to just solder/connect the dollhouse tape wire into a male connector piece? that way, it will plug straight into the el inverter and easily removable.

The only thing needed is to just solder or use some wire glue for the el sheet connection to the dollhouse tape wire.

so it would be:

El sheet ->wire glue ->dollhouse tape wire ->male connector plug into-> female connector - el inverter/battery

Do you think this would be a good choice? So would have 1 for each shoe. Its only for lighting up the strap, nothing else, since there's no point in chopping up these kmags!

Not sure if that inverter will work. It states that it is made for the EL Wire not EL sheets. I know the inverters can only handle so much. I like the idea of the male to female connections though they may be a bit bulky also.

Re: HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 4 is up

also brad if somebody that's not very good at dremeling and they slip and cut off too much rubber they can easily cover any exposed el sheet with electrical tape :thumbsup

You make it look too easy Brad :)

LOL! Everytime I do it, it's nerveracking. One slip and OOOPS! The key is to take your time and examine your work as you go.

It's funny though, I am still learning little tricks as I go.

I might be able to make the ankle bubble tutorial tonight-tomorrow.

After that I will show the painting of the soles.

Proto-PIC Tiny EL Inverter (EL202) | Proto-PIC.co.uk

The dimensions are 1cm by 4cm by 2cm which is slightly bulky, but it may be ok.

That is small. I wonder if a custom 'buckle' could be made to house that unit horizontally? Use self adhesive velcro to allow servicing (charge or replace battery).

EDIT: Looking at that inverter, is that a switch in one face?
attachment.php

Unless Brad has a reason not to, I think your idea of soldering the male socket to the wire in the strap is a winner.

Last edited:

That is small. I wonder if a custom 'buckle' could be made to house that unit horizontally? Use self adhesive velcro to allow servicing (charge or replace battery).

EDIT: Looking at that inverter, is that a switch in one face?
attachment.php

Unless Brad has a reason not to, I think your idea of soldering the male socket to the wire in the strap is a winner.

Yeah this bit is basically the inverter, battery and on off switch all in one housing, which is why i was looking at getting this. This one takes 1 battery, but there's another one which takes 2 watch batteries so it will be 6v. that may be an option too. I was looking at velcroing this on somewhere onto the shoe, but think it may be a bit thick as its 1cm x 4cm by 2cm. i would have to get it in hand and then try to see where it could be hidden.

the only other option is to get all of the same contents of that one above, so it will be a tiny 3v inverter, a seperate watch cr2032 battery holder, and a very small on off switch like the judco switch, then connect them all to the dollhouse tapewire, keep the wire's really short and soldered together and hide them somehow either within the strap or somewhere.

I'm sure this tiny el driver/battery with on off switch could run the el sheet. Clone mags is running a similar setup for his entire shoe which includes the led's and el soles.

I will ask the company who's selling it, whether the single battery tiny el with its 3v inverter can run the el sheet in the strap.

I hope this transends to sales for you Mark! :thumbsup

Hi
I forgot to ask,

what spray glue are you using to glue your custom leather mag strap together?

do you have to get a specific one for leather so it doesn't come apart easily?

Super 77. It's really great spray glue for all sorts of material. You can buy it at most hardware stores.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back