Nike Mags by Rephot Upgraded Version

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Klen, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

Hey guys, as i mentioned lately i got in touch with Rephot factory to ask them if an upgraded version of their Mags could be done and their answer was positive.

So, as a big fan of Back To The Future i thought that i would be a good idea to decide together (RPF Members) what upgrades we wan't, what we don't want since Nike didn't give any sign of releasing the Mags for 21st October 2015.

In a first time i will take all your remarks, note them.
    In a second time, ask the factory manager what would be in detail the prices of the upgrades.
    Then i will submit you the prices of the upgrades to see what we want to be added or removed and when we'll have an agree together i will ask the factory for a fair price if we make an order together.
    When i will have the final price and we agree with it, i will take notes of all interested peoples.

So far as i know, here are the upgrades Rephot's Mags would need to be accurate :

1) Slim toe box, with improved toe box
    Toe Box.PNG
    (Picture taken from Jedifyfe's video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsaYznKLFyE
    2) EL pannels for the straps logos and soles
    1.jpg airmag.jpg
    3) Anti UV soles, colored to very light blue with pyramid texture under the sole
    4) Better wiring quality in general
    5) Better LEDs for sides pannels
    201410030414348045700.jpg 1.jpg
    6) Lighter color for the heel cup and sole
    1.jpg Nike-Mag-shoes-3.jpg
    7) Flat laces
    8) Button that turns on light placed as official mags
    9) More spongy soles
    10) Higher tongue (i don't know if the word is correct)

For the maximum budget on the upgraded it will be you that will tell it with this strawpoll
    http://strawpoll.me/5161168

Here are the requested things from you guys yet :

Toe Box.PNG

1.jpg

airmag.jpg

1.jpg

Nike-Mag-shoes-3.jpg

201410030414348045700.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. MitasTouch

MitasTouch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IfIf accurate and durable electronics are available and the shoes are around $400 I think that will be a good price. And the reason I asked for things to be left out is because I don't have much faith the Chinese factory can get them right from what we've seen so far with the V2s. I would like to be proved wrong though.

The overall shape should come out good though since Nike released their official patterns.

3. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They will probably be $400 as the RepHot site lists the V2s for $320. If they can make a better version, then the price will go up. Give they also sell a V1 for just $50, I would like to see a no light version for around the $100 price point.

In the end, it is the shape of the V2 shoe that annoys us, not the crap electronics. We can all change those out, but we can't change the shape or size of the cuff, the length of the tongue (even though I did), the placement of the seams etc.

MitasTouch likes this.
  4. MitasTouch

I agree. And I think we will still be stuck with the crappy waffle clear soles because I doubt they would make all new molds just for 500 pairs. I plan to buy your soles if these come out. The ankle buckles might also stay the same if they're not willing to remake them to match the movie. I have a pair of Cloneprops buckkles for that though. Also I have only modded one pair of MAGs with the electronics so I will have some studying to do lol

5. cavx

I have also been chatting with RepHot. I am waiting to hear back from them about what can and can not be done.

6. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

That rephot place sell the V2 for like $320. A gussied up version would probably near $500.

Maybe they could go the other way. Instead of a upgraded shoe, just make it so the buyer can finalize the electronics.

Leave the waffle sole off, leave the heel cup open, trap-door the card at the bottom of the shoe for battery access,etc. But they should put those parts in the box too, I don't mean leave them out entirely.

Basically have the shoe assembled just enough so you don't have to attach the upper to the lower, but leave all electronic access open.

The reduced labor should get the shoe price down.

7. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

Still tempted to get some of these in black and red.

I wonder if they did anything about the sole durability.

8. cavx

If NIKE actually does a release, they won't be cheap. Sure this price is higher than most want to spend, but most have spent that and then some to get these shoes. My own spend is now well over $3 grand and counting.

They won't though because the appeal of the shoe is the lights. For me, it is the way the thing is made. What I love about the MAG is the minimal seam look.

That won't happen. It will be a complete wearable shoe or nothing at all.

Cutting corners will only lead to yet another crap release. 500 pairs is a very short order. These shoe companies usually have to make a few thousand pairs. The low number is why we are looking at $300+.

Nothing changed on these. I am surprised they are still available. I might have to get black and red set myself.

9. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

cavx

You'd think they would enjoy the opportunity to skip labor.

Also, yeah. The Black and Reds look good. But I do have durability concerns. I've heard a few members here say the V1's wear down pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  10. cavx

It depends on what they are making. There was a time when they were all about high numbers and cheap products. Since the games in 2008, they learned that if they make shorter runs of higher quality products, they get re-orders. So you aim for 150% and hopefully they hit 95%.

I wore my V1s a heap, and the soles were good for about three months, then they flogged out pretty quickly after that.

11. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I seriously doubt that the Chinese will make an updated version of these. It's the same as where air air got. Won't happen.

lukebrynycz and TheNickFox like this.
  12. cavx

Given they have not contacted me back like they said they would, I am probably going to have to agree with you at this stage.

Something tells me they have (once again) put this in the too hard basket.

13. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

Hey guys a little update to let you know that i won't get news from rephot's manager until he contacts his factory.
    Here's the last exchange i had on their chat.

I can understand your doubts Jedifyfe and i hope they will release them but we can give it a try and see what happens we never know. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  14. airair

airair Sr Member

You are right.

The samples I got sent were terrible.
    That's even after I supplied full templates and a fully stitched upper for them to copy.

It seems they find it difficult to do the uppers.

Changing any part of the soles means completely new moulds.

I haven't had time recently to continue this obsession, but I have found a different factory that can make all the bits seperately and accurately or as one complete piece , but it will involve a big investment.

This rephot is a joke, timewasters with no links to the factory.
    They can't do Jack.

The factory themselves cannot replicate accurately as I found out.

It will take personally going there to even have a possibility of making a better version with this particular v2 Halloween version factory.

It's why I think starting from scratch from a different factory is better.

As for electronics, I can get all the bits made accurately without issue.
    That's el for straps, soles and correct led boards, and switches.

lukebrynycz and Klen like this.
  15. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

If the investment is worth it they will do it, it's just a matter to show an example of what is possible for the factory to do, and see how many people are interested.

I think that even if the accurate version would be 500$ a lot of people would buy them.

Selling the bits seperatly could be amazing too, it could make us able to put high quality electronics in it and make it more affordable for fans.

16. cavx

And why I went to China in 2009. Being on the ground gets a very different result to just emails.

2015 is running out fast. If we don't get something started soon, we would have missed the boat.

17. MitasTouch

Do you mind sharing pictures of their prototypes?

Klen and cavx like this.
  18. cavx

I'd be interested to see these as well. The later versions of these shoes got worse, not better, so images would help me understand what they are having issues with.

Klen likes this.
  19. airair

airair Sr Member

Are you sure you want to see the Bride of NikeMagstein!

Its horrendous!

lukebrynycz and Klen like this.
  20. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

We do ! :p

21. chuck2003

chuck2003 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be in like flinn if this come to fruition and come out better then the current v2s

22. airair

airair Sr Member

enjoy! :popcorn

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  23. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

Holy Mother "BEEP" God LOL ! They played soccer with it !?

lukebrynycz likes this.
  24. chuck2003

chuck2003 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be happy if for the upper with no lace bumps, no moon shoe toe box and no branding

The mid sole no branding.

And then everything else in kit form ie upper mid Sole and sole not glued together with no electronics I'd be very happy

25. cavx

It is a shame they made the part in front of the cuff to long, because even with the sewn pull holes. the shoe looks pretty good. Toe shape is quite nice and height is good.

In the 3rd shot, it looks like they moved the seam from being slightly too far forward to being way too far back.

[​IMG]

It would be awesome if they could just trim back the collar.

As it stands now, it is 200% better than a HC and if these came out at $100, I'd buy a few pairs.

Overall airair, you have done well to get it this far.

Attached Files:

PsyChris and MitasTouch like this.
  26. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

@cavx

There also appears to be a new seam on the outside of the shoe in front of the LED cluster.

First pic.

And airair I'd buy it too.

27. TKRalph

TKRalph Well-Known Member

Why couldn't they make it right even with reference materials/photos?!?!

28. MitasTouch

Honestly I think this can be worked out. Making something shorter and moving a seam line seems easy enough to explain. And as MrSouthPaw pointed out new seam lines have appeared that should be removed. The very top of the upper needs to be at more of an angle as well but but that's all I can see wrong with it.

29. Jedifyfe

Do you guys actually think these factories give a crap about accuracy???? I mean really? Are you truly holding out for a better version than what we got on the V2's? If so, then just quit now and make your own...IT WONT'T HAPPEN. IT WON'T HAPPEN and let me reiterated....IT WON'T HAPPEN. get it through your thick skulls that no matter how many emails, how many and how much people will pay for an accurate pair, these factories employ people who work for PENNIES A DAY!!! Do you understand that? Do you? You guys are making it out like they can and will make 90% accurate shoes because they have made 99% Jordan's. Think again. THEY DON'T CARE!!! Ugh, this is getting so tiresome watching people try to get these factories to make these. Just stop! You look like morons.

BTTFSpencer likes this.
  30. MitasTouch

I'm not sure why you are so upset. Nothing in the world gets better if you just say eh **** it I give up. That is a bad attitude to have.

Klen likes this.
  31. Jedifyfe

I'm not upset but you guys are wasting your time. It's just inane to do this over and over and over again. Seriously this is just not worth it.

BTTFSpencer likes this.
  32. MitasTouch

Quite frankly I would be OK with the pair airair just showed us if just the collar piece was shortened and the seam lines were good. The overall shape then would be much better than the V2. Paint the soles a lighter grey and apply the splatter, install Cavx's clear soles and use cloneprops buckle with the custom electronics and it would be a great replica.

cavx likes this.
  33. cavx

Is it a seam of where the foam joins for the laces under the fabric?

And add a SWOOSH :)

I have to agree with MitasTouch. If they can fix the front of the collar, this has good potential. I don't like the shape of the HC unbranded heel cup, something just looks wrong with the wings or the angle, not sure. I would be replacing them with the ones I am working on anyway along with the soles. The rest of the shoe looks pretty solid. I think for a base, it is very good start.
    airair do you actually have this shoe in your possession or did they just send you images?

And having been to China, no, they don't earn much. When I was over there in 2009, I lived really well on less $500AUD for 10 days. It is cheap in China, yet the Chinese have to pay some pretty high prices for their own stuff.

Do they care about the quality of what they make? Yeah I think they do, just what is being asked for here is probably not proportional to the amount being asked to do it. There is a lot if work in doing these shoes correctly. As I said earlier, aim for 150% and you might get 95% and these shoes as they are, are pretty close to what we want.

If they can provide a sample with the corrections we have spoke about here, then I think an EOI thread is in order to make this happen.

Klen and dontfeedmyego like this.
  34. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

It's a "mirror" of the seam you mentioned as being too far back. I'm okay with it, but would prefer no seam if they can do it.

I agree with others, that collar-tab looks funky.

35. cavx

I think your right about that. One of the things that makes a MAG so cool is there are no visible seams on the outside of the shoe. It looks like they have made the shoe as a front section and 2 rear sections. This is incorrect. If the rear part was a single piece, it would not have the curves up the back it has. The MAG should be made with 2 parts - the outer part that starts at the back seam and extends around the toe and finishes at the inner seam. The inner part that joins up from the back seam and inner seam.

I don't mind that they added velcro to the collar like the V2 and HC. It does look like they fixed that separate top section of the other shoes but then again the strap might be hiding that.

The more I look at it, the more the cuff looks pointy and square instead of being rounded on the tips.

I really would like to see some hi-rez close ups of different parts.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  36. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

@cavx

I actually rely on the velcro when I use external power. It lets me set the strap up in such a way that the buckle floats about 1/2 inch off the back of the shoe. That gives me room to run external connectors to the shoe wiring and it doesn't get crushed or stressed by pressure.

And speaking of connectors. That's one thing HC got right. Exchanging the heat-shrink on the USB and power button for actual plastic housings.

cavx likes this.
  37. cavx

I have been using the velcro since adding a vinyl tongue that the hook side does not stick too. Initially I covered the hook side so it would not stick to the stretchy tongue. Now that sticking is not an issue, I found it is better to tighten the strap first, then thread the tail through the buckle.

38. MitasTouch

It would be great if they also made the collar with the fake leather material instead of going the way the HCs are with cloth.

39. cavx

I thought airair had specified that both the tongue and cuff is made from the same stuff - being the thin white vinyl material.

40. MitasTouch

Oh. It must be the lighting then.

41. cavx

And why I asked if @airair has the actual shoe or did the Chinese just send his those photos? To make any real evaluation needs higher rez images.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  42. MitasTouch

II just noticed that the sole and heel cup doesn't have the texture. They're basically the HC parts with a different upper. We need the original V2 pieces.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  43. cavx

I thought the mid-sole and outer soles were the same as the V2, only the heel cup was different due to them removing the branding.

[​IMG]

Again these images are too small to make any real comments on.

44. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

Just a little message to let you know guys that i'm gonna wait for next Monday to contact rephot again to get some news so don't worry if the topic isn't updated for 4 days. ;)

45. cavx

I hope we get some good news.

Klen likes this.
  46. MitasTouch

@airair. I would proceed with your project. It's so close to being a V3. The changes are pretty straight forward. Shorten the area of the collar that is sticking out. Make the collar back to the V2 shape because that was more accurate, and move and remove some seam lines. The tongue looks a too long as well. Everything else we modders can do easily at home. But literally they could have just made the V2s a little taller with flat toes and flatter ribs and it would be good. But seeing how you provided them the official Nike patterns I don't see how they messed it up this bad.

You can see that the V2s upper was pretty dang close. The pull holes were sometimes a little messed up though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  47. cavx

The tongue is an interesting point because the screen used shoe has a very long tongue compared to the 2011 release.

[​IMG]

When I did my tongue extension using the real MAG patterns, I extended the top part by 20% which sits really nice on display but can look a bit too long when wearing them.
    Since then, I have re-worked the patterns to have the tongue 15% longer. I even back back to just 10% which was too short. 15% seems nice for both display and wearing.

Attached Files:

48. MrSouthpaw

MrSouthpaw Sr Member

49. cavx

I gave up rolling my jeans. Just easier to pull them up and let them sit into the cuff/collar of the MAGs.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

50. MitasTouch

The tongue on the new shoe reaches the very top of the collar.