Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by cavx, Mar 24, 2017.

1. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This thread is for the sole purpose of discussing, posting photos and videos of the replica NIKE MAG V3 (elastic lace) and now V4 (power lace). Please DO NOT post about other versions of this shoe – V3 and V4 ONLY!

Introducing the V4 with Power Lace
    [​IMG]
    The V3 with Elastic laces
    [​IMG]

The NIKE MAG is a futuristic shoe designed by NIKE designer Tinker Hatfield for the 1989 movie BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II.

In the film, the shoes have both illumination and “power laces” but also a sleek design that has minimal, visible seams and stitching. Like many, I’ve always wanted a pair MAGs since seeing them on screen.

[​IMG]

Replica MAG History

1. Mark Poons MAG 2008. [TOP LEFT]

In 2008, RPF Member Mark Poon (@markpoon) teamed up with a professional shoe maker to create the first replica of the NIKE MAG shoe. These shoes came out in one size that was said to be US9. The pet name for these shoes is the MP MAG.

2. Official Nike MAG replicas 2011 [Not Shown]

Only 1500 pairs of these shoes were made. They were sold at an auction via eBay in September of 2011. The auction ran for 10 days and each pair of shoes were listed at just 99 cents. The average price paid for these limited shoes was 4 figures. The money raised from the sale of these shoes was donated to the Michael J Fox Foundation for finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease.

3. Chinese made replica MAG Version 1, 2011. [TOP RIGHT]

In late 2011, the Chinese ripped off the MP MAG and gave us a cheap (but very comfortable) PVC version of the MAG that we dubbed the K (knock off) MAG and later, the V1 MAG. It was wrong in so many ways, but it was all we had available at the time. It was the first time this shoe was available in varying sizes as many of us could not wear the MP MAG’s "one size fits most".

4. Chinese Replicas Version 2, 2012. [BOTTOM LEFT]

The following year, the Chinese released version 2 of the replica MAG. These were much closer to the shoe we all had wanted for so many years.

Once modified, the V2 does look pretty close and for many of us, would be as close to the real shoe as many of us would get. You can find many YouTube videos with a simple search.

5. Halloween Costume (HC) and SPORTS versions [Not Shown]
    These get a mention here but are not considered part of the MAG legacy because they came out unbranded. The HCs could be upgraded by a decal kit made my Mark Poon.

6. Official “power laced” NIKE MAG, 2015 [Not Shown]
    In the film BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II we were given the date October 21, 2015 that these power laced shoes would be available. As that future date became closer to the present date, we all watched in anticipation to see if Power Laces would actually happen. NIKE kept their promise and unveiled the first pair of power laced MAGs. The first pair was given to Michael J Fox.
    89 pairs were made available via a lottery where each ticket was just $10USD. The lottery was held in mid 2016.

7. Chinese Replica Version 3, 2016 [BOTTOM RIGHT]
    The V3 is the shoe many of us thought would never happen. This replica is so close, many people can not tell the difference between them and the official 2011 NIKE MAG they are copies of. The list price is $499USD / pair. The forum thanks @davidjones888 and his company sneakerahead for giving us all the opportunity to own our very own replica of the NIKE MAG.

To order your own pair of the V3 MAGs, go to

www.sneakerahead.ru

and use the discount code

sneakerahead-dis.

These shoes do not require any modifying. The only mods that can make an improvement are tinting the soles and applying a clear coat on the bubble. See my video in Post #2.

WARNINGS:

1. These shoes are extremely well made, however the electronics are fragile and care must be taken or the system will fail.
    Charging these shoes is via the 0.7mm plug on the back of the shoe. You can charge both shoes at the same time. The batteries do have an overload protection circuit on them, so you must make sure that you never overdraw them or you MAY NOT be able to charge them again. You should be OK charging for up to 6 hours. The centre pin is just 0.7mm, so very fragile. Bend the uppers when inserting the plug and DO NOT ever force the plug in.
    There have been several videos made on repairing these shoes. Search YouTube for videos by @Jedifyfe on repairs. These videos are also in Post #2.

If for some reason your charger fails or you didn't get a charger, you can use these USB to 0.7mm adaption leads.
    [​IMG]

2. When ordering your shoes, there is a delay of at least 3 (working) days from the time you pay to the time you get QC photos. Please be mindful that they may not actually have your shoes in stock, and that they must travel to the factories to buy your shoes with the money you have sent.

3. Once you have QC photos, you have the choice to accept of reject. If you choose to reject these shoes, know that they will be offered to the next buyer and that you will experience further delay to your order. If you are more than 90% happy with the shoes, perhaps negotiate a lower price and arrange a refund on the balance. Remember, these shoes are replicas, so they are NOT perfect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. cavx

If you have Modding or Repair Videos, send me the link and I will embed them into this post. I can embed a maximum of 5 video.

The only mods you might consider if you are new to this is defrosting the bubble on the heel cup and tinting the soles.
    I have used clear nail polish on the bubble and RIT dye on the soles.
    This is how they look under fluorescent lighting.

cb541065462273ff2d6060ba17a639c4.jpg

And when lit up.

f7e5333edf22ef9d4e89f43efc5b6c89.jpg

If you are keen and know something about electronics, you can add a resisters into the circuit to dim the LEDs. The newer version already has this done.

RPF member @WizardBTTF has created replacement bubbles and clear soles for those that are OK with truly modding these shoes.

For those using Sea Glow to remove yellow from your V3 Soles, please read the following.

From member @Mikey McFly:

Attached are the directions I received with my sea glow from Island Girl Products. I would recommend also combining these methods with others not shown in the instructions.

· Make sure to cover the rest of the shoes to protect them from excess product;
    · Use sparingly, do not overdo it;
    · Once sea glow is applied to the soles wrap the soles in cling wrap to help prevent the product drying out;
    · Try repeated sessions of no more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours each time. Recommended no more than 2 or 3 sessions a day;
    · Wipe excess off straight away with a clean, damp cloth; and
    · If you get any on other parts/materials of the shoe wipe off instantly with a clean, damp cloth. If necessary use a sneaker cleaner such as gel cleaner to remove the product to prevent stains.

It should be noted this method is used to clear up the soles only. If dye is also going to be applied there a slightly different methods to achieve required results using this product.

YouTube is your friend when it comes to seeking out the best methods to use these products.

LINK TO PDF

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  3. IxMAGICx1

IxMAGICx1 Well-Known Member

Glad to see you made this thread! As in the previous thread I am marking my spot on page 1 for the rest of eternity!

cavx likes this.
  4. MattgomeryBurns

MattgomeryBurns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for setting this up cavx, it was much needed. Now if we can get people to only post here!

cavx likes this.
  5. Krateness

Krateness New Member

I guess I should have posted the QC pics I got sent of the lights. This is what I was sent and they are the same shoes I received. I think my phone just had a hard time picking it up. IMG_2138.JPG

cavx, Hdiaz445 and DragonGalvy like this.
  6. airair

airair Sr Member

Very nice. Looks good.

7. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good work Cavx. The other thread was WAY too convoluted.

8. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Ahahahaha! Ok, I'm doing the same! :D We've been talking about these shoes since 2011, and it's been a hell of a ride.

IxMAGICx1 and MattgomeryBurns like this.
  9. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ditto. Now to add something of substance...I got nothing. Welp, guess that's what gets immortalized for eternity!

-Nick

IxMAGICx1 and MattgomeryBurns like this.
  10. cavx

2008 for some. Me, personally, 2010 was when I got my MP MAGs.

11. MicroWavezzz

MicroWavezzz Member

This new thread was definitely needed:lol Thanks Cavx

lukebrynycz and cavx like this.
  12. cavx

So lets hope we see QC pics and other good photos of people in their MAGs.

DragonGalvy likes this.
  13. jdraimer

jdraimer Active Member

Thanks Cavx I think adding pics of all the versions would be a great idea.

14. cavx

I've added pics to the first post.

jdraimer likes this.
  15. DragonGalvy

DragonGalvy Sr Member

I'll put up some when I get my updated version V3's. :)

cavx likes this.
  16. shoxxo

shoxxo Active Member

New thread :thumbsup Good to see...
    Mags.png

cavx likes this.
  17. cavx

WOW. The pair at the front is real. How many pair of V3s, 3 pair?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  18. Tsak123

Tsak123 New Member

Are the el panels still weak on these or did David upgrade them at all. Also are they still a hair dinner than the real deal mags

19. Sugar779

Sugar779 New Member

I just made the jump and bought a pair of v3s! Very excited to have these! Will keep everyone informed and see if I have one of the newer batches with all the improvements! Can't wait to get these guys!

cavx and DragonGalvy like this.
  20. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

No pictures show on my screen in the first post.

21. Spiderstella

Spiderstella Sr Member

Thanks cavx all the right information in one place:)

22. DragonGalvy

DragonGalvy Sr Member

You'll love them. They start off a little stiff in the uppers, particularly in the toe box. But after you've worn them a few times they become more comfortable. I haven't worn my V2's for ages now because the V3's are so good. Both in looks and comfort. :)

23. Sugar779

Sugar779 New Member

I actually recently sold my V2's to able to afford the V3's didn't seem any point in having a half modded pair when I'd have the better detailed V3... I will wearing these for my wedding in May! They literally match the suit and nothing could be more perfect for it!

I did have some trouble to start with, while ordering... After a fair few few "transaction failure" messages I received an email saying that order confirmation had been received, but I return to the website to look at "My Account" and it's still showing up as "Failed" but I have had email confirmation and the money has left my account... Anybody shed any light on this? I've left a message but I doubt they'll see it over the weekend, and I'm waiting for somebody to come online on their end so I can open up a live chat...

24. shoxxo

shoxxo Active Member

Exactly :)

25. cavx

For some reason, the pics were visible in the thread on my PC, but not on my phone. I can see them both now.

Do that :)

He did show images of what looked like tape holding the wires to the back. That may help the actual wires breaking off the back (as appears to have happened with mine), but does not solve the issue of the weak spot in between the two domes. So sort of fixed at this stage.

Post your QC pics and we will let you know what you have.

Yeah, there was an issue on my phone as well. They both show up now.

That is the plan. An because I am an active member here, I want to be able to update both the first two posts with relevant info or images when they come about. That V2 mod thread has us diving through literally hundreds of pages just to find a parts list that could have been copied and pasted into post #1 by the OP. Unless there is a time limit on editing posts, I want to keep it all up to date with an easy to find post.

Spiderstella likes this.
  26. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

Something's still not right. I tried viewing the thread in 3 different browsers; Firefox, Chrome, and IE. One shows nothing, one shows image icons, the other shows X's.

Is no one else not seeing the images? My computer does not struggle with this type of stuff.

27. MattgomeryBurns

They've never shown up for me. I always view the rpf on my macbook.

28. cavx

Is that both images? I could initially only see the first one on my phone. I can see both now. Also what about the video links in Post #2?

29. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. No images for me either.

30. cavx

OK I have reloaded both images to be thumb nails at the bottom as well as embed the images into the thread. If they are not visible now, then Admin might need to assist.

Both images are now showing up on my phone, but they show up twice, once in the thread and again at the end.

31. cavx

I posted a video in post #2 about fabric protection. Here is how they look after they dry.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  32. DL4567

DL4567 Sr Member

They all work now! :thumbsup Sorry to have harped on it, just wanted your new thread to have the info you intended for newbies. We appreciate your efforts Cavx!

cavx likes this.
  33. MattgomeryBurns

Yup cavx, everything is loading fine now.

cavx likes this.
  34. cavx

Good to hear that they work now.
    Not sure if anyone noticed, I changed the V2 image to my pair before I modded them because my V2s don't look like V2s much anymore. Kind of like a messy V3.

That previous photo of the shoes is meant to show no colour difference between treated and untreated fabric, and because the image is quite dark, I re-shot a photo to hopefully better show what I had done in my video.

[​IMG]

The shoe on the right is from my wear pair and the same shoe I spray in the video I added to post #2.

Also here is my charge kit that I also talk about in the video.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. Krateness

Krateness New Member

Silly question but does changing out the inserts help any with preventing wiring issues?

36. cavx

I'd like to say yes, but based on the fact that I still broke wires, probably not. What I did gain was the nice big arch as i bought a pair of insoles that are almost like orthotics. These do make wearing the MAGs better because of the arch support the factory insole lacks.

37. cavx

Has anyone else had an issue with their charger? I am asking because I have been contacted by an owner of V3 MAGs and he says his charger died and wanted to get a replacement.
    I have never had a factory charger so I rigged up a USB to DC 0.7mm lead set up that has worked great.
    Problem is, it looks like the 0.7mm tips are on the deleted line as none of the parts stores either have any or are reordering.
    This is of concern.
    Is there any one that thinks buying up what is left is a knee jerk reaction?

[​IMG]

38. lukebrynycz

lukebrynycz Well-Known Member

RIP my old thread. It had a good run :lol

Glad someone did it anyway, it was beginning to do my head in too.

Jedifyfe and cavx like this.
  39. Foxdie1987

Foxdie1987 New Member

Hey Fam! I just got my QC Pics for my Mags! What do you guys think? I don't think these are the version with the improved light. Should I ask for the improved model?

Attached Files:

40. cavx

It still lives :) And no doubt, will for some time.

Shoes look clean. No they are not the new dimmed LED light version. Before you reject these, question, do you intend to wear them? Because if you do, you might find that after a short time, the wires break and you won't have lights anyway.

Looks like i just sold my US10 display pair, so when I a pair of US7 to replace them for display, I will specifically be asking for the dimmed LEDs.

41. Foxdie1987

Foxdie1987 New Member

Thanks for looking at them cavx. Yes I do intend to wear them maybe twice a year. I rejected them since I'm paying so much money for them, It would make sense to get the updated one. I'll post the 2nd QC once they email me back. Thanks again!

cavx likes this.
  42. cavx

Oh the drama.

WOW, just wow. I was unsure about and even my wife said something didn't seem right with this one. Too fast. Bought with in 2 hours of listing. With in 2 hours? Hmm where else was that relevant again?

- - - Updated - - -

In the end, it will depend on a few things - how you walk, climb steps etc and even how much you weigh will all impact how long the wireing lasts. The shoes themselves are amazing. The wires are just so thin, they will break easy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  43. Nasedo

Nasedo Jr Member

Got mine today from sneakerhead, ordered last week. Very Happy. Thanks for everyone for sharing all the info.
    088.JPG

44. cavx

Your welcome.

45. don jon

don jon Active Member

46. Foxdie1987

Foxdie1987 New Member

Does anyone know how the fit for the mag are? Are they true to size or should I have a half size up? I'm a 8.5 US thanks

47. cavx

These are true to size. Even though my measured foot is US9.5, I always buy NIKE/Jordans in a US10. With these MAGs and their slimmed toe, I was tempted to go a size up.

They are stiff when you first put them on, but once they break in, really comfortable. I'm glad I bought 10s and not 11s now, because I think my foot would move in them.

DragonGalvy likes this.
  48. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

I'm arriving late on the post but i'm glad there's a topic especially for the V3s, we needed it !
    Yesterday i got tired of my V3s lighting randomly when there is a pressure on the wires and i got quite lucky on both shoes, all i had to do is twisting a little the wires and my shoes got working great again, even after a hour of walking test, running jumping etc ... Of course the EL panels are still broken tho.
    The only thing that made me worry a little is that i could ear an little electric noise while the batteries are charging, Have you experienced it guys or it's completly normal ?

49. Foxdie1987

Foxdie1987 New Member

I was just in the fence since they only have the updated version in a size 9. I wear air Jordan in a 8.5 but I do only a pair of Nike foamposite in a size 9. I was planning to change the insole since I have flat feet. Do you think that will help? Do you think I should keep the 8.5? Please help

- - - Updated - - -

I was just on the fence since they only have the updated version in a size 9. I wear air Jordan in a 8.5 but I do only a pair of Nike foamposite in a size 9. I was planning to change the insole since I have flat feet. Do you think that will help? Do you think I should keep the 8.5? Please help

50. Klen

Klen Well-Known Member

Wait for your true size to be in stock again the shoes look really big already and feel big when you're wearing them. Be patient they're worth the wait. ;)