HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 5 is up

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been asked by many members to show tutorials on how to covert these shoes. I will try to make a video tutorial for every step. From the toe slimming to the electronics:

EPISODE 1 (the toe slimming): Nike Toe Slimming Tutorial - YouTube

EPISODE 2 (LED installation): Nike LED installation Tutorial - YouTube

EPISODE 3 (making the strap): Nike Making of the Strap - YouTube

EPISODE 4 (sole and EL installation): Nike Sole and EL Tutorial - YouTube

EPISODE 5 (making the ankle bubble): Nike making the Ankle Bubble - YouTube

Last edited:
Re: HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's)

Awesome Brad :) I am sure many will be grateful for this.

Re: HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's)

Episode 2 at first post.

Last edited:
Re: HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 2 is up

Again, very cool. Just a point, a positive to negative to positive to negative connection is actually a series connection, not parallel. Parallel would be positive to positive and negative to negative.

Again, very cool. Just a point, a positive to negative to positive to negative connection is actually a series connection, not parallel. Parallel would be positive to positive and negative to negative.

Thanks! I knew I would screw something up with the lingo... :lol

Is there a way to get the yellow out of the rubber?

Nope. The only thing that can be done is painting the rubber a light blue color.

S02 tried to lighten the rubber and it worked on very slightly.

I have some clear blue spray paint on the way that I will do some tests with.

I wondered that myself. Is the yellowing from age, or was it always this colour. Every photo I have seen including the first image I saw [a guy in Singapore - Mark Poon?] has yellow sole inserts I am curious about the LED block as that looks quite clear in this shot.
attachment.php

Re: HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 3 is up

Hey Brad,

Just watched Ep3. Awesome BTW and thanks for sharing :)

In regards to the strap (and yes that looks way better), would it be of any benefit to cut the strap at 2", then fold 1/2" in from each side after you do the wire so that there is no seam or join top and bottom?

Hey Brad,

Just watched Ep3. Awesome BTW and thanks for sharing :)

In regards to the strap (and yes that looks way better), would it be of any benefit to cut the strap at 2", then fold 1/2" in from each side after you do the wire so that there is no seam or join top and bottom?

Good question. I think that is how S02 did his but the original MAGs are done like the way I did it. Feel free to do it how ever you want, I am just going for more accuracy on mine.

Actually I just had a thought (or moment of clarity or something like that). Your method allows for the strap to be reversed which it does as it passes through the ankle strap buckle (what is that part actually called?) and my method would then have the double seam visible, so a big FAIL on my behalf.

attachment.php

This image is not that large, but looking at it now and yes you can see the strap is done the way you have.

Something else I had thought about though is that one end of the strap is always secured - sewn or other and what if this end folded in under itself and was attached using hook and loop? Custom size adjustable? :love

Because I tore the foam piece on my Mark Poon shoes on my very first attempt to wear them :cry and had to rebuild that using a section of 4" PVC pipe. It won't break now but the strap is a touch too short to allow it to be secured at the correct height (which is on that grey part of the collar). It secures OK under that, but that is not where it is supposed to sit.

Yep. When you make the strap you can make it bigger. Believe me, I know this shoe all too well. :)

Wow! I was wondering how to do the EL strap conversion on my K-Mags.

Very good tutorials, thank you! :)

Thanks! Next episode will be opening the soles and installing the EL sheet in the soles.

Wow! I was wondering how to do the EL strap conversion on my K-Mags.

Very good tutorials, thank you! :)

You'd be better off making new ones based on Brad's video. I am off to our local fabrics supplier now to see what they have in way of vinyl.

Believe me, I know this shoe all too well. :)

After this thread, I don't think anyone will ever doubt that statement. :lol

As for the video, great work, as always. It will save me from having to write you at least one annoying PM when I got to doing my strap. :p I was always curious as to your brand of sticker for the logo.

-Nick

Guys in the US,

Is the vinyl you buy patterned or smooth? The stuff I looked at today had a slight pattern like partially corrected leather. Some vinyls have a fully corrected pattern which would not look as good as the smooth stuff.

Also how think is the foam you are working with Nick? I found some stuff today but it looks to be just 1.5mm, maybe 2mm tops. The stuff you show in your images appears to be 3mm+. How thick is it?

Guys in the US,

Is the vinyl you buy patterned or smooth? The stuff I looked at today had a slight pattern like partially corrected leather. Some vinyls have a fully corrected pattern which would not look as good as the smooth stuff.

The kind I have has a slight pattern but it is very close to the original MAG that also has a slght pattern to it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back