Homeland

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by neosporing, Nov 5, 2011.

1. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

At first i was only watching because i'd forgotten how beautiful morena baccarin was with long hair (esp after 'v'). But i just finished watching Episode 5 and i'm hooked!

anyone else watching this show? I can't believe there's no discussion for this series.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Homeland <- best drama on TV now?

I need to get caught up, I'm two episodes behind, but I enjoy it. It's still a little disconcerting to see Damien Lewis this way because I think of Major Winters (Band of Brothers) when I see him... and yeah, Morena Baccarin = :love

3. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the show is very good and it's nice to see Lewis in a different role. I think it still has a ways to go before it hits the great level.

4. cboath

cboath Master Member

And as of the last episode, she's back to short hair :)

I don't know if it's the best, but the only reason I watched originally was because the commercial I saw showed damian lewis. After BoB and his cop show, i figured, anything he's in is worth a shot. Thought it was great.

In one of the 'inside look' things with the writers, they said the question is will he or won't he be a bad guy in the end. So, apparently while it doesn't look good at the moment it's not a done deal.

5. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Haven't started watching it, but glad to see people like it.

6. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

it's duality and unpredictability is refreshing.

mandy p., claire danes and lewis are doing incredible jobs imho...
    the show has got edge, and is looking like it has the potential to get seriously dark, anatomy of torture and brainwashing-wise...

the last episodes sex scene, worked into the context of the plot was fantastic. that last look lewis gave right into the camera was chilling and then claire hopping into the car afterwards?! waaat?

7. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I don't get showtime but I've heard rave reviews about it and the original Israeli version, the creator of which helps with the US one.

8. mmarlon brando

mmarlon brando Active Member

Damian Lewis' switch from happy-go-lucky family man to stone-faced killer is amazing. He and Mandy Patankin are both actors that could read a phone book and be captivating.

9. Captain Carter

Captain Carter Well-Known Member

I love this show and was hooked the first episode. Now I have a tv show between season breaks for Weeds and The Big C. If you loved the suspense in 24 then you'll like this show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

two questions:

1. what rifle is this? see attached pic...

so brody and walker were both turned?

11. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

double post

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  12. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I just started watching this show (only 2 episodes so far), but it is really riveting and looks to be one of those top-notch shows that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I can't wait to watch more!

13. BIKERFETT

BIKERFETT Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This show and Sons of Anarchy are the two best dramas right now

14. Captain Carter

(Neosporing: I agree it could have been Saul or Brody that passed the razor blade and the thought crossed my mind about Saul.). Tonight's episode was really good. I'm hooked.
    I'm thinking Brody may still have been lied to about the bombing as he was with Walker.
    Good show!

If anyone has a smartphone (or for that matter, an iPad) you can download the showtime Ap and watch the first episode. If that helps anyone who has missed it... It isn't on iTunes though last time I checked.

Edited to add quasi-spoiler alert.

15. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

i can't believe how fast the hour went with that last episode.

i feel for that hunter after realizing what he'd found...

16. Captain Carter

I agree. That was messed up...

17. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

what's in geneva?

cuckoo clocks?

i'm guessing it's the guy claire danes was studying at home with

18. mmarlon brando

Gets better every week. The great thing about new shows these days is that they have to continually top one another, which makes winners of us all. My DVR is going to burn out one of these days from all the use it gets.

19. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

That's a Blazer R93 Sniper Rifle

20. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

Man!! The finale to this is going to be amazing...

And I have the RPF ads to thank for watching it. :lol I never heard of the show but the banner at the top of the forum for months had me waiting to see it.

I'm just blown way by Lewis' acting. And how easily his accent just vanishes when in character. His speech on the last episode about the Battle of Gettysburg made me wish Spielberg and Hanks would do a 10 hour miniseries on that. :lol

21. cboath

cboath Master Member

The only thing bugging me is that he's willing to kill himself for the son of a terrorist (don't think he knew that at the time) who befriended him while he was held captive. So, now that he's back, avenging that kid is more important than his wife and his own two kids??

I know, I caught all the references (they weren't subtle) about doing what you believe in, but still.

Story wise, i think they'll find proof that the accident in middle east was staged. Nazir didn't intentionally kill his son for it, it was an accident and he used it to further his own interests.

In a second season, though, they'll lose the best part of the show - Damian Lewis.

22. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

OK, so he's a badguy. I no longer care what happens to him. I wonder if this is a one season type show or miniseries?

23. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

claire danes bipolar performace was phenomonal this last episode.

Also it's hard for me to believe that damian would stay on mission after that scene with morena baccarin. :behave

24. Captain Carter

So cool that there are others here that love this show. Especially you, cboath! ;) The show just got the Golden Globe nomination - in just 11-12 episodes - pretty good.

Both Damian and David Harewood (Estes), do a great job at losing the accent. I can't help but think that they can't get rid of Damian as his character is pivotal to the show, but I don't have a good theory as to why he will stay. Unless he doesn't get the chance to press the button and gets caught just in time? That would be a punk ending to the season though and I don't think they'll do that to us.

I also thought Isa may not actually have been Abu Nazir's son, and just part of yet another mind meld that they did to Brody.

It's going to be good, and we get 90 minutes and hardly any commercials!

25. mmarlon brando

Idk how everyone else feels about the ending, but I enjoyed it. Many more possibilities for next season.

26. cboath

cboath Master Member

Looks like they've already go the green light for S2 as well.

Appearances are the entire series is going to be a when do the catch Brody thing and will it be in time. I was hoping for more resolution and not having the whole thing be about catching one guy. It can work that way I guess, just like dexter though, gotta wait 9 months to find out how.

27. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

The short answer is I really liked how they ended the season.

Going into the finale I was curious how they were going to resolve things. Had Brody set off the bomb where would they go from there? A new threat rising in the aftermath of Brody's attack? Dexter set the seasonal bad guy model pretty well but Homeland was smart to not follow that example.

This show's strength is in playing the long game; continuing to develop the characters and situations. I'm really fascinated by everyone in the show and it is how these characters grow and interact that really makes the show so compelling. With the way they chose to leave the story has me really looking forward to finding out where everyone goes from here. While some seeds have been planted that hint at possibilities for season two there are still plenty of question marks over everyone's story.

28. cboath

cboath Master Member

The problem with playing the long game is that we already know he's the bad guy and that they're playing the long game, period. It's TV. Someone affiliated with the show looks at the network head wrong and it's canceled and the long game gets chopped off in the middle.

Brody also used his gun to kill that guy. We've not seen anything to tell us it's not his service weapon, or one of his service weapons, and nothing showing him picking up an untraceable gun. You'd think they'd find the body and be able to trace the bullet right to him.

29. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

wow, i can't think of a time where i felt more stress watching television. completely riveting from beginning to end.

30. mmarlon brando

I don't see them getting rid of it anytime soon. It has regularly ranked #1 on the list of best new shows. I believe it's here to stay. And as far as the Beretta, the only people that we know have seen Brody with it are the members of his family and a few guests at a party, and only briefly at that. You're right, in reality they should track it right back to him. But this is television, and smart tv at that. I'm sure the writers will find a smooth way to handle it, if they decide to touch on the subject at all.

31. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

I've ceased to care about this show ever since they revealed to us that he's the badguy. I just want him to die now and I don't want to watch X more seasons before he does.

32. Aussie66

Aussie66 Member

So it was a good first season? I acquired the first ep ages back but didn't actually get around to watching it. I guess i'll acquire the rest of the season and get stuck into it over the holiday period :D Now that Dexter and Terra Nova are finished and everything else seems to be on a "break" for months i guess i'll have to find something lol

33. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congrats to the team of Homeland on nabbing four major Emmy awards for drama.

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - Alex Gansa, Howard Gordon & Gideon Raff for Homeland (Episode: "Pilot")
    Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series - Damian Lewis
    Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series - Claire Danes
    Outstanding Drama Series - Homeland

Can't wait until season 2 begins next week.

34. BIKERFETT

BIKERFETT Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

fantastic show

35. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

until last week, i was thinking some of the S.2 plot points were a little convenient. But last weeks beruit episode had me on the seat of my chair again. This weeks episode had me stressed out of my mind. Loved the ending with mandy meeting clair to show her what they got out of beruit.

36. cboath

cboath Master Member

That was the kinda thing that makes you want to march back into that building with a 2 finger salute (one on each hand) to everyone who told you you were wrong and delusional.

37. airair

airair Sr Member

its exciting to watch, but I feel miffed at the blatant propoganda that it insinuates.

38. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

like our intelligence is intelligent?

39. cboath

cboath Master Member

I saw that Damain Lewis has signed up for another season. Wondering what that plan is since the CIA now knows about him. Double agent?

40. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. He knows too much for them to just put him away or make him disappear. Either that or he ends up back in the Middle East with Nazir?

Fantastic show.

Dave

41. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

holy crap.

what a turn. i swear, i'm going to have a heart attack during the show. gettysburg was intense.

42. DarkPassenger

DarkPassenger Sr Member

Best show on TV.

43. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

holy crap

why did they let even let carrie get in the #2 van when she's most certainly going to do what she ended up doing? arrrg

44. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

Poor Saul, I was dying laughing during that awkward scene. :lol

45. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

well, i now know why Mal treated Inara the way he did... was like watching an R rated deleted scene from Firefly...

amazing episode ...

46. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

Even without that scene it was an amazing episode.

Unless they are going to draw it out over the next 4 or 5 years, which will get old very fast, I can't see where they are going with it now that Nazir knows he has betrayed him.

47. Wolvster1

Wolvster1 Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I dunno, I'm still betting there's more going on here..

Yeah, I don't see this going 4 - 5 more Seasons so not
    sure what they have planned. But last night I'm betting
    good money that there still something between Brody and
    Nazir...

:popcorn

48. cboath

cboath Master Member

It was sure cut as if we missed a whole bunch.

If so, pretty ballsy move to give up 10 sleepers and all your explosives in the hopes brody will deliver bigger down the road.

Plus, I can't see him advancing too far since the powers that be want him dead...not sure how they'd pull off killing a congressman though.

49. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Man finally they got that Abu guy Lol, man but that was crazy that Brody let the Vice Prez die for Carrie.

50. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

It really surprised me that they were willing to kill Nazir off since he has been the big baddy from the beginning. I'm half expecting them to find out it isn't really him.

I did not like it that they had Brody have such an overt hand in killing the VP, even if it was to save Carrie. Everything he has done before that can be explained away, such as his killing Walker who was a bad guy himself, buy no matter how bad the VP was, you can't write that off.

I'm wondering who the buriel at sea is for in the finale. I think they made it seem like it might have been for Brody since Quinn is after him, but it could also be Nazir since when Bin Laden was killed, he was buried at sea.