Hogwarts, A History

Lia

I just commented on Hinkypunk's thread Hinkypunk's free paper props thread about this project but decided to create my own thread in order to prevent overload Hinky's thread with useless information. So, here it goes...

I'm planning on doing my own version of Hogwarts, A History. Something like the user TK8541 is doing with Snape's "Advanced Potions" book which I thought was a fantastic idea! And here's a link to his thread http://www.therpf.com/f9/advanced-potions-making-118663/
I saw that someone already made a Hogwarts, A History book cover (It can be found on the front page of Hinkypunk's thread) and I wanted to use it to make my own version of the book. But then I thought, why not make the complete interior as well?! It would be so much cooler!

I'm starting my own research but I would love some help seen as I lack any knowledge about the books used or seen in the movies.
I'll search for screen grabs from the movies, fonts used, images, etc...
Because I have no idea how much pages are shown in the movie, I'll have to make up almost everything from scratch! But if you know "key" bits of information, such as the "Blah Blah Blah" appears on page X, please let me know.

I know It's going to be a lot of work but it will be something that someone could actually go through and read cover to cover and feel like they've got the real book in their hands.
With me working on Hogwarts, A History and TK8541 working on Advanced Potion Making, maybe one day we'll have all the books available to read, who knows ;)

I know my english isn't perfect but I'll have the help of a native english speaker, so that's not something you should be worried about.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on this project.

I think this would be intersting in the same way I used to be into some of the old Trek manuals and in the same way others recreated the grail diary. I recently had nothing better to do so I watched all these HP movies one after the other and enjoyed all the details in the sets, costumes, and props. I'd also like to read the books but I don't have that kind of time. So I'll keep an eye on this thread out of curiosity and wish I could help more.

I've already written like two versions of it myself from a few years ago. maybe after we get into pottermore we will learn more and can use it

@TheSt.LouisKid Thank you very much for your interest. Maybe your previous experience with old Trek manuals will be of good use to me. Keep checking this thread and feel free to share any kind of advice :)

@Gryffindor1991 I'm so sorry, I had no idea someone had done it already. My idea is not to recreate the whole thing, it seems almost impossible. From what I can recall from the movie, the book was pretty thick and not much information was given about its content... I would be very thankful if you could share some information about your 2 versions so I could have an idea of where to start.
About Pottermore... I'm pretty sure I won't be one of the lucky few getting early entrance, so while I wait for Pottermore to be fully available in October I'll carry on with my research.

Hi Lia,

On Pottermore I got the message which states I am one of the lucky few to shape the Pottermore experience. I could help you with sending the information to you so you can work earlier on the Hogwarts, A History book.

Let me know if you want that.

William

Pottermore Message:

by J.K. Rowling

Congratulations!

You’ve successfully validated your early access Pottermore account. You will be one of the lucky few to shape the experience before the site opens to all in October.

You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive as we can’t let everyone into the Beta site at the same time.

We look forward to seeing you.

Hi Lia,

On Pottermore I got the message which states I am one of the lucky few to shape the Pottermore experience. I could help you with sending the information to you so you can work earlier on the Hogwarts, A History book.

Let me know if you want that.

William

Pottermore Message:

by J.K. Rowling

Congratulations!

You’ve successfully validated your early access Pottermore account. You will be one of the lucky few to shape the experience before the site opens to all in October.

You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive as we can’t let everyone into the Beta site at the same time.

We look forward to seeing you.

Thank you very much, William.
Yesterday I stayed up until 5:20am (Portugal/UK time) but end up giving up. Fortunately, when I got up this morning I was surprised by a friend who got on Pottermore earlier and was able to register me :D
So I got the same message as you, now we both have to wait for the welcoming emails... ^^

I would like to know what JK would have written in books like Hogwarts, A History I also have early Pottermore access, so maybe when it opens we can ask away, hopefully? :confused

I can't remember any particular quotes from the books, but I'm sure whatever Hermione says will be spot on to the books text. :D

@Gryffindor1991 I'm so sorry, I had no idea someone had done it already. My idea is not to recreate the whole thing, it seems almost impossible. From what I can recall from the movie, the book was pretty thick and not much information was given about its content... I would be very thankful if you could share some information about your 2 versions so I could have an idea of where to start.
About Pottermore... I'm pretty sure I won't be one of the lucky few getting early entrance, so while I wait for Pottermore to be fully available in October I'll carry on with my research.

I think this is a fantastic idea. I was just expressing that its quite the job. Mine isn't very long, but I have a little chapter list that could give you some ideas of where to start and go from there. it really takes a lot of imagination. you learn alot from the series, but its not where near enough to do a book. I attempted, poorly, to write a little story for the beginning of it about the founding and how the founders did it. its quite bad. I'll be more than welcome to share that chapter list I have with you. my little version "updates" itself as history happens so it even has a chapter on the battle of hogwarts :)

I would like to know what JK would have written in books like Hogwarts, A History I also have early Pottermore access, so maybe when it opens we can ask away, hopefully? :confused

I can't remember any particular quotes from the books, but I'm sure whatever Hermione says will be spot on to the books text. :D

Yeah, I'm so excited about Pottermore. Hopefully it will give us the answers we all have been waiting for ^^

This is all I have so far Hogwarts, A History - Harry Potter Wiki

I don't intend it to be an exact replica of the book used/mentioned in the movie because there's no way it would work out. I guess what I'm thinking of doing is like a Hogwarts, A History Delux Edition or something, that would be as if a few years later someone decided to pick up the original book written by Professor Garino and rewrite it again with new and updated information :)

I think this is a fantastic idea. I was just expressing that its quite the job. Mine isn't very long, but I have a little chapter list that could give you some ideas of where to start and go from there. it really takes a lot of imagination. you learn alot from the series, but its not where near enough to do a book. I attempted, poorly, to write a little story for the beginning of it about the founding and how the founders did it. its quite bad. I'll be more than welcome to share that chapter list I have with you. my little version "updates" itself as history happens so it even has a chapter on the battle of hogwarts :)

Are you kidding?! :O That's awesome!
The little chapter list would definitely be of much help because I have no idea what to write first... or what to write at all! >.<
What you did is actually great. A little story about the founding and how the founders did it is an excellent idea for the beginning. I would love to read what you wrote :)

Also, I forgot to mention that the proper credits will be given to whoever helps me with the project :)

these are the chapters I came up with.. some could be combined possibly, and they should probably be moved around.
The Beginning
The Castle
(no real title) holidays and stuff
(no real title) subjects
(no real title) workings of the school (like how its run, punishments and such)
Triwizard Tournament
Quidditch (?)
Hogsmeade (since its close with the school)
Battle of Hogwarts

Not sure where this should go, but I was thinking about one that has to do with secrets of the castle. like the Room or Requirement and secret passages, but in a way that would ruin the fun of it if it was in a book.. although no one but Hermione reads it :lol

these are the chapters I came up with.. some could be combined possibly, and they should probably be moved around.
The Beginning
The Castle
(no real title) holidays and stuff
(no real title) subjects
(no real title) workings of the school (like how its run, punishments and such)
Triwizard Tournament
Quidditch (?)
Hogsmeade (since its close with the school)
Battle of Hogwarts

Not sure where this should go, but I was thinking about one that has to do with secrets of the castle. like the Room or Requirement and secret passages, but in a way that would ruin the fun of it if it was in a book.. although no one but Hermione reads it :lol

The list is great and I know what you mean about the secrets of the castle. However, technically, the Room of Requirements, for example, is not a secret anymore. Seen as I want to make a "Delux Edition" of the real Hogwarts, A History maybe a chapter for secret passages would work :)

And sure, Hermione is the only one who reads it x)
About that, during my search yesterday I got reminded of a couple of things:
1st - "The book was very popular in Harry Potter's second year at Hogwarts, when every copy was checked out of the library due to the reopening of the Chamber of Secrets. " The copies where then replaced or not? o_O
2nd - "The book's original hand-written manuscript is stored in one of the Hogwarts Library's annexes, and can be only read by special appointment. However, students and staff may admire its ornate cover from a distance." So, that means that if the books were checked out due to the reopening of the Chamber of Secrets and were not replaced after, there's just one book available in Hogwarts, the original hand-written manuscript, that is... Aside from that, Hermione owns her own copy. Does it mean there are only 2 copies of Hogwarts, A History? :eek:

There is a member here who is a Publisher...
Larry Young

Maybe you could ask him for advises...

Thanks, I had no idea there was a publisher around here x)
However, my main concerns right now are what to write on the book first :)

First things first, you might want to make sure you know what is and isn't in the series's version of Hogwarts, a History.

What is in the book are these Hermione-mentioned facts:
the ceiling of the great hall is bewitched to look like the great hall.
wizards and witches cannot apparate or disapparate to or from Hogwarts.
there supposedly exists a Chamber of Secrets within the school, but DO NOT mention anything about basiliscs (perhaps make a chapter for this "legend" or mention it when going over the founders).
Hogwarts is hidden from muggles and is bewitched to look like an old ruin with a sign saying: "DANGER. DO NOT ENTER. UNSAFE." (this is said to be because of the Muggle-repelling charm Repello Muggletom which is also used to keep muggles from the Quidditch World Cup, as said in Quidditch Through the Ages).
in 1792, during the Triwizard Tournament, a cockatrice, or magical creature resembling a rosster with a lizard's tail, broke free from a task and went on a rampage that injured the Heads of Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Beauxbatons.
muggle technology (electricity, really) cannot be used within Hogwarts.

House Elves are NOT mentioned in the book, and (probably) neither is the Room of Requirement.

Remember, when you do the part on the Triwizard Tournament, to write the schools' full names: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, and Durmstrand Institute.

Hope that helped for now. If you need some more to work off of, I can gladly help you :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back