Harry Potter free paper props - all movies and more!

Looks like we found the maker of the book.

The info is provided to all, YES, but.... The RECREATIONS of them belong to the person that made them. I honestly could care less if this was one of my designs, but its just something I'd like to be notified of prior. Make money off my work, doesn't matter to me, I'd just like it known to the world that I'm the one that made the design.

I create this stuff for free, the least people could do is jot down somewhere "artwork recreated by hinkypunk" or something.

But still, this probably isn't my artwork.

Also, more power to you man. The pics arent perfect, but it does look pretty badass. I can't make these things look cool for the life of me

Hopefully this was the seller's own work but this issue brings up the whole dirty business of taking someone else's work and selling it for profit.

I figured this was eventually going to happen on this thread since it has happened on every other prop thread I've ever seen.

I don't want to get up on a soap box here, we are all adults and make our decisions based on our own needs. BUT...since I'm in a bit of a pissy mood today I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in.

NOT COOL!!! :angry

And...I'm amazed somebody would pay $45.00 for an item that does not even have decent photos provided of it and is reasonably easy to put together yourself.

There are a couple of common sayings that come to mind, but it would be too supercilious of me to comment further. (But I have always wanted to use that word in a sentence...ca ching!)

Oh well, hopefully the buyer is happy with their purchase.

yours, somewhat disgruntledly,
bfd

I bid .99 Worth at least a few dollars for someone to print it out for me I think.

If I happen to win it, which I doubt, cause I wouldnt pay over 15.00 for the effort of printing and gluing something... I will post pictures of it. Just to help Hinky see if it was just taken from this thread.

It to me doesnt look like Hinky's either but I dont know how you can tell with the poor quality picture lol. It looks a LOT like the one in my Harry Potter magic book as well. Maybe they referenced yours AND that one? That back cover for sure seems like the one in the book...

If I had a decent printer Hinky , I'd print off everything you make and make my own books and shout from the rooftops of your awesomeness. Currently the best I can do though is refer people to this thread as I lurk in it all the time lol

Though that being said, anyone able to print things on canvas that would like to set up a trade for DH necklaces or something, that would be stellar! :)

@totallyice , sucks to hear you say you dont understand "recasting" us 501st members already get a bad wrap about that. Taking someones art work or sculpts or item, and remaking it as your OWN and making a profit from it, regardless of if the original person are copying it from a Movie Studio is considered recasting. Hinky put hours of work into these and gives them to us to print. Making a profit from that is looked down upon, especially without credit, IF thats what is happening :( Though I'm not sure it is, it could be they took parts from both.

But then again, I have some singapore folks who took my specs right out of my Deathly Hallows thread and are selling copies of my necklace on ebay for MORE than I charge LOL and they used my first draft which is not accurate. even more sad really. To top it off they then copied a bunch of my ebay description into theirs as well LOL so I KNOW people take things they find on the RPF and profit from others works.

Last edited:
Sorry dear, I definitely did not make the book. I'm married to Star Wars. With my Star Wars props and costumes I make, along with being in medical school, I wouldn't have the time even if I did have interest in Harry Potter. I must say that your work is good though from the bit I 've skimmed over. There is a simple way to find out who made the book... send an email to him or her through eBay and ask. =0)

Hopefully this was the seller's own work but this issue brings up the whole dirty business of taking someone else's work and selling it for profit.

I figured this was eventually going to happen on this thread since it has happened on every other prop thread I've ever seen.

I don't want to get up on a soap box here, we are all adults and make our decisions based on our own needs. BUT...since I'm in a bit of a pissy mood today I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in.

NOT COOL!!! :angry

And...I'm amazed somebody would pay $45.00 for an item that does not even have decent photos provided of it and is reasonably easy to put together yourself.

There are a couple of common sayings that come to mind, but it would be too supercilious of me to comment further. (But I have always wanted to use that word in a sentence...ca ching!)

Oh well, hopefully the buyer is happy with their purchase.

yours, somewhat disgruntledly,
bfd

Before medical school I went to law school. According to federal copyright law, technically, just about everything on this thread is illegal. Whether its exact or not is not the issue. Its the idea behind it. I can understand that you may be angry with the seller of the book, you should also, in fairness, be angry at whomever ripped off the idea from Warner Brothers too, if the design went through several hands. There's lots of things that I don't understand why people pay lots of money for. But, it's their money and if they can afford it, then I say whatever makes one happy. Sorry for the argument here. Its not often I get to play lawyer whilst in medical school. LOL.

I bid .99 Worth at least a few dollars for someone to print it out for me I think.

If I happen to win it, which I doubt, cause I wouldnt pay over 15.00 for the effort of printing and gluing something... I will post pictures of it. Just to help Hinky see if it was just taken from this thread.

It to me doesnt look like Hinky's either but I dont know how you can tell with the poor quality picture lol. It looks a LOT like the one in my Harry Potter magic book as well. Maybe they referenced yours AND that one? That back cover for sure seems like the one in the book...

If I had a decent printer Hinky , I'd print off everything you make and make my own books and shout from the rooftops of your awesomeness. Currently the best I can do though is refer people to this thread as I lurk in it all the time lol

Though that being said, anyone able to print things on canvas that would like to set up a trade for DH necklaces or something, that would be stellar! :)

@totallyice , sucks to hear you say you dont understand "recasting" us 501st members already get a bad wrap about that. Taking someones art work or sculpts or item, and remaking it as your OWN and making a profit from it, regardless of if the original person are copying it from a Movie Studio is considered recasting. Hinky put hours of work into these and gives them to us to print. Making a profit from that is looked down upon, especially without credit, IF thats what is happening :( Though I'm not sure it is, it could be they took parts from both.

But then again, I have some singapore folks who took my specs right out of my Deathly Hallows thread and are selling copies of my necklace on ebay for MORE than I charge LOL and they used my first draft which is not accurate. even more sad really. To top it off they then copied a bunch of my ebay description into theirs as well LOL so I KNOW people take things they find on the RPF and profit from others works.

I do understand recasting, don't get me wrong. I have myself made some kick-ass gaffis and had my design replicated by others. But why should I get upset? I "borrowed" the design for my gaffis from those used in SW Episode IV. LOL. If you really think about it, the entire 501st Legion is one big copyright violation. But, law sucks. Thats why I decided to stop practicing it and go to medical school. :)

yes its a Hinky cover. That guy is an RPFer. I don't know if I'm pleased or angry.

As far as Hogwarts: A History, I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I've been working on novels for the better part of 10 years and this was one I did about 3 years ago. Most of my novels are around 60,000 words but a lot of this book is stuff that was made up to ties the pieces together. I've always wanted to send it to JK Rowling or something but after the whole lawsuit with the guy that tried to do the encyclopedia, I'm honestly afraid to.

I always wanted them to do a TV series called the Department of Mysteries. And have it like X-files like, and follow two Ministry Wizards. No one from the books has to be in it necessarily, but have it follow the same canon. All the wand rules, etc apply.

So is it complete coincidence that the contact email address on the profile for the ebay listing is russ@totallyice.com and your name happens to be totallyice?

And that even though Star Wars is your baby, you just happened to stumble across this Harry Potter thread in this exact conversation?

Screenshot2011-05-12at45201PM.png

Throwing in my 2 cents. Judging from the pics from the auction, the image when printed at full book scale appear to be pixelated and the colours seem to me to be very saturated. Hinky's images are much clearer and the colours are always perfect that I can tell anyway. However I did post an image of the entire cover in the 'Hogwarts Textbooks' thread, post 76 that if enlarged prob would pixelate. Its also in my photo album from my profile page.

I do understand recasting, don't get me wrong. I have myself made some kick-ass gaffis and had my design replicated by others. But why should I get upset? I "borrowed" the design for my gaffis from those used in SW Episode IV. LOL. If you really think about it, the entire 501st Legion is one big copyright violation. But, law sucks. Thats why I decided to stop practicing it and go to medical school. :)

I understand ya, that its a copyright violation. This whole site is full of it. Replicating props is how that goes. However, there is a code of honor kinda lol Pirates code I guess. Hypocritical, maybe, but still.

The idea is to look out for each other not steal from each other and turn profit. same idea with casting off a currently marketed item like Noble's wands or MR helmets still commercially available. Generally people wait until something is no longer in production to recast it.

But it is what it is I guess... though if all Hinky wants is recognition given, thats not that much to ask in the long run

Last edited:
So is it complete coincidence that the contact email address on the profile for the ebay listing is russ@totallyice.com and your name happens to be totallyice?

And that even though Star Wars is your baby, you just happened to stumble across this Harry Potter thread in this exact conversation?

Screenshot2011-05-12at45201PM.png

After some looking around at this, I have killed my partner. :angry :angry :angry :angry. Seems as though he's been using both my RPF, PayPal, AND eBay accounts. I apologize for his smart ass comments. After an appropriate *****-slapping session, I think you will be receiving a very nice email very soon. :angry:angry. And just for clarification, I'm the one in med school, not him. If I was going to do something this under-handed, I'd be smart enough not to get caught and look like an ass. And for HIS information - USING SOMEONES PAYPAL, EBAY, AND RPF ACCOUNTS CAN BE CONSTRUED AS IDENTITY THEFT. YES, I ACTUALLY WENT TO LAW SCHOOL.

Last edited:
Wow really........ and here I was feeling bad about makin a youtube video about a potions book I got trading some stuff around and not being able to give proper credit.... Wow just wow.
So wait your boyfriend stole your account and listed a bunch of wand he copied from noble and a book he glued together and kept you in the dark about it or did I miss a post and get completely off track. I need a nap now.

Heck I recasted voldemorts wand but I wouldnt sell them, I just posted a video of one (haha) but yeah its not cool to be listing those things.

Wow really........ and here I was feeling bad about makin a youtube video about a potions book I got trading some stuff around and not being able to give proper credit.... Wow just wow.
So wait your boyfriend stole your account and listed a bunch of wand he copied from noble and a book he glued together and kept you in the dark about it or did I miss a post and get completely off track. I need a nap now.

Heck I recasted voldemorts wand but I wouldnt sell them, I just posted a video of one (haha) but yeah its not cool to be listing those things.

No excuse, but yea, in a nutshell, thats what happened. Med school keeps you blind to the rest of the world. I never really use eBay much, except to buy med supplies every now and again, so I missed it. PayPal I should have noticed though. I wish I had already done my Psych rotation so I could totally mess with him. LOL. :love

See the only problem aside from being illegal is if everyone did things like this then Nobles sales go down they discontinue the line and less new wands come out.
I originally casted a mold for a Basilisk fang prop I got that a few friends wanted and since they are not for sale and most likely never will be something like that I could see but the wands are fun to collect and to recast them for reasons like My two year old would break a noble wand so i make him one and one for my daughter and play around to make a more screen accurate prop for myself I see as ok but to list a crap load of counterfeit knockoffs is a hole different beast

Wow, did you tell him to end the auctions? or is it ok now for him to leave them up?
Most likely they will be ended by ebay in a few hours from all the reported illegal item emails they should be getting.
What Hinkypunk is doing is completely legal, the law clearly states that there has to be profit so if its given away its totally legal. I went thru this with the James Potter books when I was having one published for myself and they decided since it had stuff from Harry Potter in it that the company could not publish it so I called them and explained everything and after there lawyer looked it all over they printed my book (well not my book, its another author but you get the picture) it all boils down to profit.
and actually the auctions are a felony, manufactured in the US, Sold in the US, and counterfeit.
I cant remember the total dollar amount and if there even is one to make it a felony but if its your ebay / paypal account guess what Med student gets a felony warrant, I mean you are aware of the illegal activity right? well at least now you arent you?

Last edited:
:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love I loves you elliot

My pleasure, the amount of work you put in to everything you produce is extraordinary. When you look at your items its has'nt just been made because you've been told to make it i.e. your job. You make these items because you have a passion for all things Harry Potter and that passion shines through in your amazing replicas and its truly a privilege for the members here to have access to the items that you post for FREE. The same goes for the other contributing members on this thread. I think its amazing that the members come together to either help find pictures, research sizes and offer advice and then to contribute amazing items that brighten up not only my day but I'm sure bring a smile to the other members faces here too. I keep this thread set as my homepage because I can't wait to see what will be in the next post.

Props (Pun intended) to Hinky, Barney, Nicki, Norbert, Brucelee, lemonlemon and all the contributing members because without you we'd not have the amazing thread that we do :)

P.S. Sorry if I did not mention your name, PROPS to you, you know who you all are :)

Legalities aside… I'm okay with them taking my artwork and putting it on books. I personally have zero talent when it comes to making these apparently, because all of mine look like crap and honestly if I could pay someone to make me nice looking copies, I would do it.

Thing is, I see this more as the fee is for "labor". When you go to McDonald's and purchase a burger, you aren't paying for just the bread, meat and toppings, but you are also paying for the time it takes for someone else to make it for you, and the convenience of you not haven to do it yourself.

If he gets in trouble, he gets in trouble, and bay takes the auctions down.. but for now, I'm okay with it, and i'm giving them, and anyone else here, permission to use my work to create props and sell them if you must.

I just ask that I'm notified prior and that credit is given where it is due. I'm not asking for a cut, I'm just asking for my name to be somewhere.

That being said, I would love a Tales of Beedle the Bard book that doesn't look like crap, and I would buy one if someone could make me one.

Forgive and forget guys. I accept their apology.

Im gonna try to make one of the books myself Hinkypunk and if it turns out nice I'll send you one

Heres the one Im gonna go by since I have it here to look over, hinkypunk has seen it but others may get a kick out of it.

Also check out www.hp101 its a website Im working on posting pictures of all my books in the HP series (just the cover and info page) to help others understand the whole 1st edition 1st printing thing and the difference between the library, retail and book club editions. The website is a work in progress but some may enjoy it.

Also the beedle the bard book I posted a picture there and gave Hinkypunk the credit on the reworking of the artwork so that at least is worth checking out (haha)

Peace

dsc02893.jpg

Last edited:
Okay....SO WHICH ONE OF YOU YAHOOS MADE MY KNOCK-OFF SNAPE WAND??

I'm not complaining...it's actually rather nice, and I got it cheap (cheaper than a Noble, anyway)...and, since I'm all about saving money...MY money...I don't care if it's a Noble cast or not. :)

They'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers from around the handle, if they want my wand! :lol

Rob
(Yeah...I've had more my own artwork and props stolen by others...with no credit given... than I care to remember....it sucks, but what can you do? Meh...life goes on....))

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back