Halliwax's weird V3 theory

You are aware the v3 today is not what it looked like during filming of RoTJ? I don’t know what your angle is here?

Are you saying the v3 was dressed up for RoTJ? If so I 100% disagree, the v2 and v3 were just randomly used objects, no one on set would have ever thought we would hve noticed a difference

The only dressed up saber we have is the ISYHCANL saber, and they took the Yuma and dressed that up for the close up in Vader’s hand

And I never said they “refurbished” the v3, (or any lightsabers as the matter) they grabbed this stunt out of storage, most likely in piles of other crap, and did nothing to it except add a clamp and a card, possibly screwed set screws in the emitter and neck to lock it from spinning

Remember this is Star Wars it’s a used future, and that’s the excuse they used for the prop tram as well, nothing fancy, just throw it on there

Yeah I knew it got repainted again after filming. But according to SethS guide it was repainted for ROTJ.

Screenshot_20181214-141845.png

In some photos you can see the paint from its first refurbish peeking through, particularly on the neck.

That was consensus when I wrote it!

I think that was when we assumed the V3 was painted black for ANH like the V2. Given the silver and copper in ROTJ, we figured it must have been re-painted.

These days we're leaning toward the V3 never actually being used for ANH and that it was a back up.

I think we need a new V3 thread to round up all images and build a timeline.

Oh Seth!! Your gotta get a beat’n!!! :p

Another thread? Lol check out all the pics in my first post. And I got even more where that came from

I am having a lot of trouble getting back up to speed on this thread.

Where are we now, as far as what has been agreed upon and what remains debatable?

That was consensus when I wrote it!

I think that was when we assumed the V3 was painted black for ANH like the V2. Given the silver and copper in ROTJ, we figured it must have been re-painted.

These days we're leaning toward the V3 never actually being used for ANH and that it was a back up.

I think we need a new V3 thread to round up all images and build a timeline.

Aside from the long clamp lever I would think it would be almost impossible to tell the two sabers apart. Particularly with the photos we have.

I am having a lot of trouble getting back up to speed on this thread.

Where are we now, as far as what has been agreed upon and what remains debatable?
Right now the way I'm leaning. Unless we can positively identify the V3 and what it looked liked pre ROTJ. We're really up a creek.

Right now the way I'm leaning. Unless we can positively identify the V3 and what it looked liked pre ROTJ. We're really up a creek.

I think the grip rings are a slight tell. The cone knob, long lever and smaller diameter emitter plate have been there since ANH

but those are small details lol

V2 and V3 are too totally different animals

V3 has a much larger emitter face (possibly the emitter is made out of a aluminum round stock, and not cast like the v2?)
V3 has a much larger diameter over all in thickness (since it wasn’t fully machined because it was never finished)
V3 has a really screwed up pommel cube section
V3 pommel mid section is out of wack
V3 has a HUGE seam line going down the entire thing (minus the clamp section and booster)
V3 doesn’t have a hole for a switch (cone knob)

These sisters were cast from the same mold.. but they are two totally different creatures when it comes to physical appearance

Alley. As for where we stand? I’m still sticking with my crazy theory, not much has changed except we might possibly have gaffers tape on the clamp, 1/2 through filming the throne room duel.. seriously up in the air.. think it’s just shadows

V2 and V3 are too totally different animals

V3 has a much larger emitter face (possibly the emitter is made out of a aluminum round stock, and not cast like the v2?)
V3 has a much larger diameter over all in thickness (since it wasn’t fully machined because it was never finished)
V3 has a really screwed up pommel cube section
V3 pommel mid section is out of wack
V3 has a HUGE seam line going down the entire thing (minus the clamp section and booster)
V3 doesn’t have a hole for a switch (cone knob)

These sisters were cast from the same mold.. but they are two totally different creatures when it comes to physical appearance

Alley. As for where we stand? I’m still sticking with my crazy theory, not much has changed except we might possibly have gaffers tape on the clamp, 1/2 through filming the throne room duel.. seriously up in the air.. think it’s just shadows

So if I'm understanding this right. We've never seen any pictures of the V3 during ANH? What about ESB? Do we have any pictures of it then?

So if I'm understanding this right. We've never seen any pictures of the V3 during ANH? What about ESB? Do we have any pictures of it then?

Are you trolling me?

The V3 is used heavily as a stunt (practice) in ESB

You can actually see in the carbonite chamber scene Vader’s mpp change back and forth between the mpp and round emitter of the v2/v3. I personally think Anderson is using the v2 at this time.. but it could easily be the v3 on screen he is using

There is also practice footage of Hamill using the v3 in the dark side cave vs Vader

I do not have the photo, but have seen it here before with Hamill holding the v3. It’s in color too

I strongly believe Hamill had such a painful time holding the graflex, all the practicing was done with the v3. And then the graflexs were wrapped in gaffers tape for some comfort

We also have Hamill now on record saying twice!! They made special rubber grips for him because it was so painful.. but we have no proof of these rubber grips today

But with Hamill mentioning this twice now I think it is very possible

But long story short, the v3 can briefly be seen in the carbonite chamber duel

Are you trolling me?

You can actually see in the carbonite chamber scene Vader’s mpp change back and forth between the mpp and round emitter of the v2/v3. I personally think Anderson is using the v2 at this time.. but it could easily be the v3 on screen he is using

There is also practice footage of Hamill using the v3 in the dark side cave vs Vader

I do not have the photo, but have seen it here before with Hamill holding the v3. It’s in color too

I strongly believe Hamill had such a painful time holding the graflex, all the practicing was done with the v3. And then the graflexs were wrapped in gaffers tape for some comfort

We also have Hamill now on record saying twice!! They made special rubber grips for him because it was so painful.. but we have no proof of these rubber grips today

No not trolling. Just trying to piece everything together.

So if the V3 wasn't finished for ANH, when are people thinking it got painted? That ESB cave picture your talking about shows dark paint chipping of like the V2. The picture is in the guide book.

Are you trolling me?

Had a quick thought pop into my head. Is it possible that V3 was used for practice during ANH before switching to the motorized V2 for shooting. So they would lessen the chance of breaking it?

V3 was probably painted along side the v2.. I think the v2 was the first or second stunt saber made because Vader’s was never finished, must have broke and then they used the stunt graflex as his..

Everything was a rush job

I state in my first post I believe the v3 was painted along side the v2. Just the v3 never had a electric motor installed

I dunno, the emitter looks beefy to me. And the emitter isn’t dented.. I also think the clamp is missing in these shots

The bottom one is defiantly the v3 because of the jumbo D ring, but the top photo is confusing.. still think it’s both the v3

71CDFE26-1ADB-4E6F-9525-2D452B173085.jpeg
63FBAD4A-BF33-406B-AA2B-B035EA5DA298.jpeg

I dunno, the emitter looks beefy to me. And the emitter isn’t dented.. I also think the clamp is missing in these shots

The bottom one is defiantly the v3 because of the jumbo D ring, but the top photo is confusing.. still think it’s both the v3

View attachment 965336 View attachment 965337

Is it just me? I don't see an emitter nipple? That Endor picture you posted earlier, that one had a one and it was noticeably wider then the blade.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back