Halliwax's weird V3 theory

Is it just me? I don't see an emitter nipple? That Endor picture you posted earlier, that one had a one and it was noticeably wider then the blade.

I THINK the nipple is in the top pic.. I THINK.. we have that one video of the blade flying out when Luke is attacking Vader.. maybe this is where they ditched the nipple and just inserted the blade and held it in with the large set screw?

The world may never know...

I can’t not wait for Seth’s new book update to come out. You guys are going to go nuts!!

halliwax
Not sure if you've seen any one these or not, but thought I'd share some more V2 or V3 pics I have.

Off topic but I thought people would find it interesting; not sure what saber Luke is using here.
The guy on the left in this pic is using the same saber.

So a little tip for everyone. Have you ever wished a picture was bigger? Right, click or do a long press on mobile devices, on the photo. Then click or tap 'search Google for image'. Quite often there are larger versions of the picture floating around on the web.

oblagon that outlier saber was originally Vader's dedicated ANH stunt. There's a pic in the guide book of Luke's stunt double using it too. You can see a line in the painted tip where the block was placed on in the ANH days.

Post ROTJ it was refurbished and put into use as a museum tour Vader saber. It's frequently called the Barbican. Check the guide, I put a bunch of pics of it in there in its various forms.

That said, it could also be a potential third Vader stunt that's scratch made. There's a pic of it from the archives floating around here, with glue all over it's base.

SethS Thanks for the info; I remember reading about the Barbican in your guide but didn't recognize it in the photo. Cool to know more about the story on it.

Got a PM for some reference photos and while digging I noticed this..

6D4118F3-C187-490E-83AE-3068FEC67A1C.jpeg
E278C0FB-B7B0-4AEF-8C8F-D71D988894E1.jpeg

Is this gaffers tape on the clamp?

Yes; a truly set-accurate V3 should be ensconced in gaffer tape.

One scratches one’s head as to why they simply didn’t remove the clamp from the V3 for dueling scenes.

Yes; a truly set-accurate V3 should be ensconced in gaffer tape.

One scratches one’s head as to why they simply didn’t remove the clamp from the V3 for dueling scenes.

And post ROTJ they painted it and replaced the clamp card so it would better resemble the Yuma turned close up hero to be a better stand in for photo ops and museum tours.

I strongly believe Hamill had such a painful time holding the graflex, all the practicing was done with the v3. And then the graflexs were wrapped in gaffers tape for some comfort

We also have Hamill now on record saying twice!! They made special rubber grips for him because it was so painful.. but we have no proof of these rubber grips today

We do now!

Yes.. nipple is NOT part of the emitter..

I have no proof of this but seeing the V2, I believe the nipple was machined just like starkillers last run.

The blade has a metal 5/16th rod attached to it, which slide into the nipple and held on with 2 3mm screws

The nipple then slides into the emitter and held in with screws

There is 1 scene with Luke hacking away at Vader when Vader is kneeling in the throne room and the blade falls right out

Agree that they were made with stunt blades in mind but I don't agree with length of the base of the nipple. For just practical reasons, one good wack with something as shallow as the bases from Starkiller's modular run would result in a guaranteed black eye. You'd need something with leverage to anchor it better. We only have the one clip in the RotJ deleted take of the end duel going off the rails and the sword blade falling out once it was held over and behind Mark Hamill's head.

And as far as I know, the V3 only has the one grub screw at the emitter. Unless someone has something to prove otherwise, my running inclination is that sole grub screw was the only thing holding the nipple in place on the V3.

Another thing that really bugs be is that last photo of Luke right before the "chop" shot. The blade has a plug that went over the nipple? In ANH, it looked like the original blade just sat on top of the nipple. Just what and how did these people expected these things to work?

I had a conversation yesterday with the person from whom I got my original Obi lightsaber blank back in 1997. If his memory serves him correct, there were about 8 mechanized sabers build in total for ANH plus some "static" ones without the spinnung function. He had built not all of them himself.

Here's a still of that lightsaber blade darting out of the hilt from ROTJ:
smlgeDS.jpg

Could this be a blade similar to this one?:
aeUcAXq.jpg

That would mean the "tang" of the blade would go right through the balance pipe, vent and grenade section into the clamp/booster section of the saber.

I had a conversation yesterday with the person from whom I got my original Obi lightsaber blank back in 1997. If his memory serves him correct, there were about 8 mechanized sabers build in total for ANH plus some "static" ones without the spinnung function. He had built not all of them himself.

Here's a still of that lightsaber blade darting out of the hilt from ROTJ:
View attachment 966195

Could this be a blade similar to this one?:
View attachment 966196
That would mean the "tang" of the blade would go right through the balance pipe, vent and grenade section into the clamp/booster section of the saber.

Thanks for sharing this picture!! I totally get what your saying! But from a mechanical lint of view. How the heck is the emitter held on, if the tang goes all the way down?

Once the tang is out (with the blade) then then there is nothing physically holding the emitter to the neck. Unless that really is gaffers tape on the neck?

Thanks for sharing this picture!! I totally get what your saying! But from a mechanical lint of view. How the heck is the emitter held on, if the tang goes all the way down?

Once the tang is out (with the blade) then then there is nothing physically holding the emitter to the neck. Unless that really is gaffers tape on the neck?

Having a steel rod go through the neck makes sense. I think they could have helped reinforce the neck. I think if it had just been an aluminum neck, they might have snapped.

This is how I thought the saber was held together

Grub screw one holds the blade, grub screw 2 holds the emitter to the hilt

Now with this longer blade rod... how the held did the emitter not fall off the v3? What is holding the v3 emitter to the rest of the holy

Last edited:
This is how I thought the saber was held together
View attachment 966363

Grub screw one holds the blade, grub screw 2 holds the emitter to the hilt

Now with this longer blade rod... how the held did the emitter not fall off the v3? What is holding the v3 emitter to the rest of the holy
That's how I think it was done as well. The rod is probably held by something inside the hilt I suspect. On the V2, it's probably attached to the motor shaft.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back