Halliwax's weird V3 theory

This is how I thought the saber was held together
View attachment 966363

Grub screw one holds the blade, grub screw 2 holds the emitter to the hilt

Now with this longer blade rod... how the held did the emitter not fall off the v3? What is holding the v3 emitter to the rest of the holy
I think your drawing is correct. Those images of the flying lightsaber blade from the ROTJ bts footage are extremely blurred and low res, there is just too much space for speculation. I‘d really like to know what those stunt blades were in real life, I still think they were „found“ objects.

This is how I thought the saber was held together
View attachment 966363

Grub screw one holds the blade, grub screw 2 holds the emitter to the hilt

Now with this longer blade rod... how the held did the emitter not fall off the v3? What is holding the v3 emitter to the rest of the holy

I just remembered that the V3 has a third screw. Which how the other end of the rod is probably held.
20181218_135849.jpg

I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your picture:D

Having a steel rod go through the neck makes sense. I think they could have helped reinforce the neck. I think if it had just been an aluminum neck, they might have snapped.

I put the 2nd screw in the wrong location.... my bad. That screw locks the emitter from spinning.. I don’t think that was there originally, it would keep the emitter from spinning

Guys I’m all screwed up today.. joker I deleted that pic... that’s my theory on how the v2 is held together... I believe there is a set screw under the gaffers tape.. I confused myself...

But if the rod is that long going down the neck... mechanically I don’t see how the emitter can stay on.. the emitter should come off and stay attached to the dueling rod..

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the v3 had 2 3mm screws under the emitter plate like the v2 has... I can’t see any large hole or hole in the windvane with all the new photos.. or in the resin popper stunt... I think it’s too coincidental that all these pictures the screws aren’t in site.. we can see the 4mm screw in the booster and pommel clear as day.. why not the one in the emitter? I wonder if those were added later?

I had a conversation yesterday with the person from whom I got my original Obi lightsaber blank back in 1997. If his memory serves him correct, there were about 8 mechanized sabers build in total for ANH plus some "static" ones without the spinnung function. He had built not all of them himself.

Here's a still of that lightsaber blade darting out of the hilt from ROTJ:
View attachment 966195

Could this be a blade similar to this one?:
View attachment 966196
That would mean the "tang" of the blade would go right through the balance pipe, vent and grenade section into the clamp/booster section of the saber.

That's essentially how I thought it worked to (though the bottom archive pic of the stunt blade is the short blade specifically for the Yuma/Hero) but I always figured that there must have been an anchor or something for the motorized-to-static pieces. Otherwise, like others have said, the emitter would've popped off too.

If I remember correctly the V3 was still intact. it was the V2 that had a separate emitter.

Vadermania, me too.

That's essentially how I thought it worked to (though the bottom archive pic of the stunt blade is the short blade specifically for the Yuma/Hero) but I always figured that there must have been an anchor or something for the motorized-to-static pieces. Otherwise, like others have said, the emitter would've popped off too.

the yuma rod went down the neck?!

the yuma rod went down the neck?!

It would appear so. It makes sense mechanically not to have the stress point be the nipple. There was only one short blade and it was specifically for the Yuma and the one in the Archives video is the shortest one on the table.

If I remember correctly the V3 was still intact. it was the V2 that had a separate emitter

Vadermania's post on page two would show different. Unless it was a later addition but I honestly don't think so. I think we're spot on thinking it was pretty far along to be used as a motorized stunt but never made it on set for ANH.

it could have gone into a graflex during ESB? That IS a short blade, i'm so used to seeing that pic cropped.

it could have gone into a graflex during ESB? That IS a short blade, i'm so used to seeing that pic cropped.

Maybe, the set up for the Graflexes are an equally puzzling mystery for me. Though I believe they were primarily fixed to the uppers in the brick cylinder fashion. The blades with rods makes me think they were exclusive to the ANH Obi/Luke stunts, though

Guys I’m all screwed up today.. joker I deleted that pic... that’s my theory on how the v2 is held together... I believe there is a set screw under the gaffers tape.. I confused myself...

But if the rod is that long going down the neck... mechanically I don’t see how the emitter can stay on.. the emitter should come off and stay attached to the dueling rod..
d0cf7505b0702b05929d5c6c52bcc245-png.png

It works. The top screw is holding the unto the rod in the emitter. it passes through the neck, then is held in place by the one in 'wind vane' section. Most likely this is how the prop is being held together even today.

Check out the orientation of the grub screw in the emitter. It has moved in 2 different photos, I wish we had a picture of it today.. see where the screw is now,

Here is a comparison of the original V3 "neck" compared to the neck of my original metal blank from ANH. To me it seems like the V3 emitter has been cut off in order to mechanize the saber.
Original V3:
View attachment 966517
My metal blank:
View attachment 966518

This seems to be consistent with the V2. On the V2 the rod that goes through the neck is(was) attached to the motor inside. But the V3 either never got its motor or it was removed. So they added that second screw in the 'wind vane' section to hold the rod in place.

It's how mine is held together. I sliced the Anakin Starkiller socket in half to the correct height we see inside the v3 emitter. I actually silicone glued it to the top of a rod, and dropped it in the emitter instead of drilling through the chrome tape. But I drilled and tapped through the windvane and that set screw holds the emitter in place snug!

View attachment 966486

It works. The top screw is holding the unto the rod in the emitter. it passes through the neck, then is held in place by the one in 'wind vane' section. Most likely this is how the prop is being held together even today.

Exactly... so when the rod comes flying out of the emitter.. how does the emitter stay connected to the rest of the saber...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back