FA616B99-4CFB-4076-BF7A-3EB5D042CDED_1_102_o.jpeg
EBBAFDF0-0E65-42D5-A141-840692140F80_1_102_o.jpeg
0D9DD1BA-BFFA-486E-AC4D-1317FA47C4EA_1_102_o.jpeg
5C1C6915-15D6-40B3-B095-305A6ECD23A0_1_102_o.jpeg

Note these details that are new to me.

1) The nipple has two diameters. there is a lip just over the emitter plate

2) There's a slight mark around the rim of the emitter plate

3) Gaff tape or something similar around the upper neck

What if this was molded with the V2's emitter. Or this is the original V3 emitter and it also had a stepped nipple. OR this is the warehouse stunt and it had a nipple - but I don't think it did. This seems to be unique to the V2.

Did I imagine it, or did I read somewhere that there was at least one of these Stunts cast in rubber?? I remember seeing a picture of one tucked under Luke's belt and bending in the middle. I'm not dreaming this up am I?? :lol:

Nicely spotted with the stepped nipple, tom... Interesting. The bearing housing on the V3 is smaller than the V2, so wouldn't have been interchangable I don't think.

Did I imagine it, or did I read somewhere that there was at least one of these Stunts cast in rubber?? I remember seeing a picture of one tucked under Luke's belt and bending in the middle. I'm not dreaming this up am I?? :lol:

Nicely spotted with the stepped nipple, tom... Interesting. The bearing housing on the V3 is smaller than the V2, so wouldn't have been interchangable I don't think.
I too have heard of rubber stunts, but everything I’ve seen and been told is everything surviving in the archives is resin

Looks to me like it has faces on it. Maybe a bolt or nut over a threaded rod holding the emitter to the rest of it? Maybe it's not even in any pieces. If it's a resin stunt, and hollow, maybe a bolt was put in the face of the emitter to add weight to it to keep from flopping around (or simply added for some sake of continuity match for the V2).

Since I got Starkiller's "Perfect Cast" that I want to make into a filming-era copy of the V3, I wanted to see if I could summarize what I understand about the timeline of the V3 as it was in ROTJ filming, and to ask what I'm missing reference-wise. Hats off to the RPF saber makers for all the runs we're privileged to get for all these secondary sabers.

ANH: They make a number of stunt sabers based off the heroes --

Vader - the motorized "Barbican" with its original square shroud
Luke - the motorized tube saber
Kenobi - a wooden buck is made from the hero and multiples are cast alongside some R2 parts. The "V2" is machined clean and motorized. It's used for stunts. Another copy is cleaned up and used for some bladed shots - this becomes the "warehouse" saber.

The motorized stunts are finicky, and eventually the Barbican is abandoned and Vader just uses the Luke tube, and the v3 isn't mechanized or used. It and the other unused casts go in the prop box.

ESB: Production makes new non-motorized stunts --

Vader - gets a new MPP-based stunt. The Barbican also has some additional changes, but the MPP stunt is primarily used.
Luke - several stunts are made, and they and the hero have problems during filming with adhesives and buttons and everything else. Eventually some of the stunt parts get cobbled together as the Ranch saber.
Kenobi - the stunts from ANH get used for practice (especially the V2 and Warehouse), and Hamill really prefers using them over the Graflex and its gripped stunts when they're not filming. Vader's actors even practice with them here and there.

ROTJ: Production is a huge undertaking, and they reuse whatever they can --

Vader: the hero and stunt MPPs make it over from ESB production. The Barbican gets sent over for resin replication for gags at some point so that the MPPs aren't harmed. One of the Luke ESB stunts becomes the DV6 for some reason. Maybe because the barbican is unavailable to bang around?

Filming starts with the infamous sand storm scene, and Hamill points out that they shouldn't reuse the Graflex, so the prop guys go cut off the blade from the V2 (probably on-hand for practices) and Hamill starts using that over the next few filmed scenes in the desert and Ewok village. The prop guys pull out the V3 and do some clean it up (exact alterations vs ANH unknown). It also gets used for resin copies for various things, and it and its copies are used alongside the V2 for stunts, gags and sometimes as a hero stand-in (Barge climbing, the Endor handoff). It seems to become the eventual "standard look" for the Luke saber, with the golden neck, black grip section, and less "mottled black" body than the V2.

Eventually during filming the Death Star duel, Mark Hamill breaks the blade and emitter. It gets reassembled, possibly with a new emitter section, and a tang is used to keep it together but its days as a V2 alternative are over. This is why the existing resin copies have a much cleaner neck than the current V3.

The crew heads out to Yuma, and they need a new short blade stunt. They scratch-machine a new copy of the V3 and it becomes the Yuma stunt saber, alongside the V2 and the resin copies of the V3 they're using for the non-fighting stunts.

They decide to film a lightsaber closeup shot for the hallway handoff. When looking at the props, they select the Yuma stunt as the cleanest variant. They strip it down, repaint it, and alter the control box to no longer look like a Graflex clamp. They then further modify the Yuma control box with electronics for the unreleased cave scene.

Post filming, the Barbican gets further cleaned up and becomes the go-to reference for building promo sabers. The repaired V3 gets cosmetically altered and sent off for an exhibit with the DV6, and eventually becomes the Luke saber for 90s kids thanks to the "Power of the Force" line of toys and various prop books.

Since I got Starkiller's "Perfect Cast" that I want to make into a filming-era copy of the V3, I wanted to see if I could summarize what I understand about the timeline of the V3 as it was in ROTJ filming, and to ask what I'm missing reference-wise. Hats off to the RPF saber makers for all the runs we're privileged to get for all these secondary sabers.
You've got it exactly right, as best we can tell. Except for a few details.

ESB - There seems to be only one bladed Luke Graflex. Turning something into an ESB stunt involves drilling the **** out of the tube and planting metal and bolts everywhere. It was only seen once on a belt in a behind the scenes shot on dagobah. The Obi Wan stunts utilize a tang and probably a shaft collar and dont need the black bolts that the flash/tube stunts use.

The Barbican got a decent amount of use in ESB, as well as the Luke tube stunt!

I WISH we had better color shots of the saber(s) Luke used in the throne room. Looking at the archives you'd think it was the V3 but you never know. The Warehouse stunt appears to be a different metal cast, deep seam line on the grips, I think different pommel screw placement or something and an un-sanded thick emitter lip.

You've got it exactly right, as best we can tell. Except for a few details.

ESB - There seems to be only one bladed Luke Graflex. Turning something into an ESB stunt involves drilling the **** out of the tube and planting metal and bolts everywhere. It was only seen once on a belt in a behind the scenes shot on dagobah. The Obi Wan stunts utilize a tang and probably a shaft collar and dont need the black bolts that the flash/tube stunts use.

The Barbican got a decent amount of use in ESB, as well as the Luke tube stunt!

I WISH we had better color shots of the saber(s) Luke used in the throne room. Looking at the archives you'd think it was the V3 but you never know. The Warehouse stunt appears to be a different metal cast, deep seam line on the grips, I think different pommel screw placement or something and an un-sanded thick emitter lip.
1000% it’s the v3… but different, I’ll explain it all on my pateron ;)

I'm still under the idea that the "Death Saber" is just the V2 and the Warehouse is the V3. There were 4 Obi-stunt casts made for sure: v2, v3, the cast sacrificed to make the replacement emitter for the v3, and the one binned and later given to vadermania. I don't doubt that there were other casts potentially made for production, but I don't believe any of them were used for anything else. Why would there need to be? They had two that were good enough and nothing was seen as precious. That's why there's only the v2 and v3 in existence now, as "fully converted" stunt hilts. Otherwise, they'd be in the Archives or in private collection somewhere.

Nobody was expecting STAR WARS to be anything when it was made, so a lot was thrown away afterwards or destroyed, and anything that didn't get walked off set by sticky hands, was put into storage. That's how so many things were re-used in the later movies; it literally was whatever they had leftover saved from the previous film. While lack of evidence isn't exactly lack of proof, with all the conservationists and archivists that's gone through the Lucasfilm archives, and there not being anything else in regards to the Obi-stunts found, it leads me to believe that whatever isn't there or in private collection is either lost to time, or never there to begin with.

Seems odd that they'll need make a new stunt from scratch for Yuma if they had more casting stunts available than the v2 and v3 at the time.

I WISH we had better color shots of the saber(s) Luke used in the throne room. Looking at the archives you'd think it was the V3 but you never know.
Given everything else (including the paint on the Wired resin saber), I'm sticking with the "Luke Hero" painting scheme - ESB card, antique gold neck, black grips (including top and bottom, which are sanded in its current state), and clean but "aged" emitter/back half sections with the two screws you can see in the handoff photo upthread. I'm sure Halliwax will get it to the "making stencils" level of accuracy but the paint was so fragile on these things I'm going to pick one and go with it.

FinalDuel_V3_1.pngFinalDuel_V3_2.pngFinalDuel_V3_5.png

No offense, Halliwax, but no one else has, though, is what I'm saying. Even the people tasked with organizing what remains in the archives and those asked to document what's left over the intervening years have never brought anything up further. There's no corroborating evidence but some hearsay on the boards. Sure, some clandestine groups may have something but it is either unshared by legalities or elitism. So until there's evidence physically available to draw conclusions from, it is all hearsay from anybody. One must work with what's extant.

Seems odd that they'll need make a new stunt from scratch for Yuma if they had more casting stunts available than the v2 and v3 at the time.

And it's also odd to me to think that there was a separate stunt hilt made just to rig up to a dummy to fall over with for one shot. Having just made a movie myself (not to scale of STAR WARS, mind), but how slap-shod everything is and how "need it yesterday" the speed of movie-making goes at; it's highly impractical. Grab what we have on hand, dress it up a bit to sell it on camera if needed, shoot the thing, and move on.

Last edited:
I missed out on the sale and now it is out of stock. Does anybody happen to have a DS2V3 that they want to get rid of, and really upset that I couldn’t purchase one when it was in stock.

I missed out on the sale and now it is out of stock. Does anybody happen to have a DS2V3 that they want to get rid of, and really upset that I couldn’t purchase one when it was in stock.
FrostyHimslelf, this thread is designed for research and theory on the V3 production hilt itself and any cast derivatives.

You may find better luck with your inquiry by replying to the DS2V3 run thread or creating a Want to Buy post.

No offense, Halliwax, but no one else has, though, is what I'm saying. Even the people tasked with organizing what remains in the archives and those asked to document what's left over the intervening years have never brought anything up further. There's no corroborating evidence but some hearsay on the boards. Sure, some clandestine groups may have something but it is either unshared by legalities or elitism. So until there's evidence physically available to draw conclusions from, it is all hearsay from anybody. One must work with what's extant.

And it's also odd to me to think that there was a separate stunt hilt made just to rig up to a dummy to fall over with for one shot. Having just made a movie myself (not to scale of STAR WARS, mind), but how slap-shod everything is and how "need it yesterday" the speed of movie-making goes at; it's highly impractical. Grab what we have on hand, dress it up a bit to sell it on camera if needed, shoot the thing, and move on.
Non taken ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back