Little test fit to see where we are. Digging it.

BF731B4E-3FD8-4400-8320-BDFA4D64B536.jpeg

CB6C0229-21A9-44E0-B2A5-FF1B5DED4441.jpeg
56236681-E304-45A3-8BFF-D916790C2D5C.jpeg

A9721651-782E-49EC-9C44-2D3686B20C3D.jpeg
00AEB65F-D8F1-4089-BEFE-963FC44CBCEE.jpeg

BOO
C8811D8D-3894-4B79-B8D2-6A499313FCE5.jpeg

Comments, questions, critiques?

Attachments

• 3D1CC60E-FE55-4793-8A8E-F77E62F94E73.jpeg
    3D1CC60E-FE55-4793-8A8E-F77E62F94E73.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 201
Looks absolutely fabulous! Only thing of note that stuck out to me was the bottom of the vest, is it just me or does the arch look a little high?
Capture.PNG

As a person who owns an actual flak vest, it would seem a bit impractical to mold it perfectly to the shape of the ribcage, when the stuff below it needs equal protection too. Maybe that's just me nitpicking too much though, and I fully understand the modifications we need to make for comfort. (seems like it would be hell to bend over in eva foam while trying not to damage it) Aside from that, this is one heck of a cosplay! Definitely gonna be watching this with interest.

I am not familiar with the character outside of this thread but I love the process and the outcome so far. Particularly on the vest construction and methods presented . I love it. It is looking great and props for persevering and getting it this close to completion!

Looks absolutely fabulous! Only thing of note that stuck out to me was the bottom of the vest, is it just me or does the arch look a little high?
View attachment 1537413

Oop, you’re totally right! I have a bad habit of forgetting to refer to my reference

I’ll see what I can do about correcting this. Right now, the front and back of the vest aren’t actually attached, which is why you might have noticed me keeping my upper arm pretty close in. This might have the effect of bulging out the front, making the center seem even higher.

As for practicality… the metrocop really is a rather impractical design, especially compared to the soldiers. But, like you said— that’s costumes!

Oop, you’re totally right! I have a bad habit of forgetting to refer to my reference

I’ll see what I can do about correcting this. Right now, the front and back of the vest aren’t actually attached, which is why you might have noticed me keeping my upper arm pretty close in. This might have the effect of bulging out the front, making the center seem even higher.

As for practicality… the metrocop really is a rather impractical design, especially compared to the soldiers. But, like you said— that’s costumes!
That's what led me to compulsively checking my measurements quite literally every 10 seconds, try to find a balance between now and me lol.

The Metrocop really isn't that impractical if you compare it to most modern police/soldiers, a protective mask/respirator, a bulletproof/flak vest over most vital organs, an undercoat which could be stab proof looking at it, multiple utility belts for tools or weapons, etc. Sure it may not be the most comfortable or flexible thing ever, but it serves its one purpose; protecting the wearer from harm.

Anyways, restraining my militaria collecting side for a moment, looking at the way you've constructed the vest it shouldn't be hard to remove just the tiles in question, retrace and reupholster them. You've got a very good costume ahead of you!

Sure it may not be the most comfortable or flexible thing ever, but it serves its one purpose; protecting the wearer from harm.
Funny enough, this is probably my comfiest costume yet! Coming from Scout Trooper and Mando, the metrocop is a breeze. Some nice boots, a jacket, vest. And the visibility is startlingly good. Right between the scout trooper and mando.

Any thoughts on the blue lenses? I’m thinking about switching to standard silver mirror, maybe even just black. The blue is pretty stark, I suppose a final decision can be made when it’s all done. The lenses are only hot glued, anyway.

It looks like they’re silver in HL2 and black in HLA

what kind of jacket is that? i wanna make a costume for halloween but i cant find one that looks close enough to the actual metrocop outfit.
It’s a cheap Columbia jacket from eBay. The search terms included “field coat” or “field jacket”. That’s the style of coat the HL:A combine wears, with the pockets on the front, the high collar, and proper length.

Man this takes me back, a long long time ago I actually made a much more rudimentary metrocop for a parody short film I made.

It was only ever intended to be seen in early youtube (aka 480p) so I cut a ton of corners. In fact the brief reflection of Gordon Freedom in the eye glass was literally cardboard, ductape and orange tape.

One thing I did add to the costume for fun is something I definitely recommend, which is getting a halloween voice changer box and using it on the "monster" setting.

It adds a ton when interacting with people in the costume where you can actually sound like a metrocop. On the cheapo voice changer it even had a high pitch setting, which I tried to do really rough impressions of the overwatch lady, but also the high pitch dead tone sound.

Btw if you have the means, A VR mod for HL2 just came out and I've been replaying it this week, really stands up incredibly well in virtual reality (other than the airboat section, made me want to vomit)

Amazing job and definitly going to be referencing this build a lot during my metro cop build. You wouldn't happen to have a link for the jacket / gloves / boots you bought by chance? if not its ok i'll look around, they just look dead on!

he4thbar Unfortunately, pretty much all of my links have expired. The jacket included such search terms as "field jacket" and "field coat". Wanted to look for something with the front pockets and good length.
For the gloves, look for women's motorcycle gauntlets. They're more streamlined than men's, usually. Just order two sizes up or more.
Boots were Harley Davidson brand boots off eBay. Riding boots are choice, especially round toe motorcycle boots. Even a pair of round toe engineer or harness boots will do if you find them cheap enough to cut the straps off.

Good luck, I look forward to your build.

Your Civil Protection officer is the best ive seen! Im most impressed with the vest, I think you nailed the technique. Is there a way you could give some more insight on how you mocked up the template of the vest? And think the foam vest will be more efficient than me having to work with sewing, I do not like sewing

Bowye appreciate your kind words, still a WIP!

I do agree about the efficiency, worked out the whole vest in a day or two.

As for working out the templates, sketching the vest from different angles helped to really lock in a mental model. Used the center square as a reference point, then just sorta eyeballed it from there. It got away from me a bit, as pointed out by another user, but it’s good enough for me.

But, for the most part, it was just cutting out the foam, gluing the backs together with strips of cloth, then trying it on. If it didn’t fit, I trimmed. If it did, move on to heat gun and forming.

When that turned out well, I disassembled and glued batting to the front of the foam and wrapped in cloth, then glued the backs together again.

Hope this helps

Small progress update, as I’m working on this again. A quick test fit of what has been complete so far.
83136A23-2BC9-429F-A653-7936CCC5295F.jpeg

Also worked up a voice mod using an Arduino and a shield made by Nootropics Designs, AudioHacker. Neat, first Arduino project. Made an enclosure too, first time using Fusion 360.

61D1C6A7-5DBB-4911-AF1A-F69D6A374672.jpeg

84B63A00-DD8E-4392-8076-1689D19527C1.jpeg

Didn’t wear pants and boots for this one.

It’s coming along, thanks for looking.

Almost there. A few tweaks, some soft weathering, and electronics. Very pleased so far.

133A58AD-532E-451D-AD1A-AEC23731D27F.jpeg

292837E2-807E-479E-94CB-CFF386435AFC.jpeg
418FC0E2-6EF1-407C-9A50-BCD7386D0BBE.jpeg

Can’t forget a classic
1D65D076-17D4-4108-B927-23B781FF102C.jpeg

Visibility is nil and I used hot glue waaayyy too much in an effort to fast track this build, but there was some real sewing.

Some.

More soon, thanks for looking.

More or less completed. Wore it to a con.

After this, all that’s left are a few beauty shots. I won’t update further changes to the costume on this thread, it’s far too old a thread. Thanks for following along, apologies for taking so long.

40CD8A94-DE55-4094-AF42-C029222DEA9F.png

Fellow combine cosplayer at WonderCon 2023

D4B7ECC4-F836-4B0A-BA51-9F08BFAF8547.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

This is getting out of hand... now there are two cans to pick up!

It's been amazing not only to follow the work of both of you CP's, but to see the two of you even come together!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back