Green Lantern movie rings at Toys R Us

Picked up one at TRU, and got 2 extras in case someone needs one. Cost and shipping :)

How are people going about removing that center gem? I kinda wanna mod mine out but don't want to destroy the thing in the process...

Chris

I destroyed the center gem on mine removing it. After watching the video I assumed that it was glued on since he simply pried it off. Instead, it actually has two tabs on th back of the gem which click into place in holes in the other green part.

Went to my local TRU today and at first thought they didn't have any because I didn't find them with the first GL display I found, but I found a second one and they had a whole box.

Ripped it out of the package as soon as I was out of the store and put it on my middle finger. Fits great and is actually pretty high quality for only $10. I'm wearing it right now.

Still think I'll order one of the DC Direct or whatever it is rings that's coming out. $40 for one. Gotta wait 2 weeks for my next paycheck, though.

Anyone know what size the gem is?

I found one online that I think would make a good replacement.

I found a supplier for a clear cracked green gemstone for $7.00
plus 4.00 shipping at trendystonejewelry.com
but size starts at 8mm then 10, 12, 14

Well, I basically copied MrGzilla only I kept the center gem.

Used two-part epoxy and foil.

Differences are:

Dremeled the surface of the band so it looked less manufactured. Drilled a hole under the gem for possible LED assembly. Cut the band and tried to bend it but it isn't going anywhere. Also painted a little silver ring around the gem, but I knicked the plastic up so it's a bit uneven.

Fun little project.

What'd you drill the hole with, just a regular drill bit? If so, what size and how far did you drill?

if anyone doesnt want to mess up their ring by adding foam or cutting the band to make it fit, I just picked up the Neca projector ring and it comes with a clear plastic fitting the fits in the TRU Keychain, will post pics in a few

Got mine today. Pretty good for $10. Messed up the center gem while removing it from the one I am going to mod.

Gregatron, What size do you need for your "Kilowog-size" finger? I think my correct finger is size 14. Not sure if I can remove enough material to fit and still be thick enough to actually wear. Right now it fits the ring finger of my left hand.

I'm not sure of a my size--maybe a 12 or 13. But I managed to thin the material out (a LOT) so that the ring is now wearable (although still a bit hard to get off).

I'm almost done with my mods. Will post pics soon. The stainless steel ring and rhinestone-backed gem look really nice for a quick, cheap mod.

Nah, the ring is metal. The ones with the toys looks to be plastic completely (depending on the toy).

The ring is also solid, while the toy ones seem to have a cut in the back.

Chris

Well spent a little time this weekend trying to mod my ring. First I disassembled and sanded down the metal part as well as drilling a small hole in the center for a larger gem like Batjeepster did in his Youtube video, as well as trying to paint a silver ring on the inside near the gem. Needless to say most of that didn't work out. I did buy a few different gems at Michaels and and found one that went a little better as well as a metal insert ring from an old pen. Still haven't glued it back together as I'm still trying other things but this looks the best so far. Also a little tip for anyone who has scratched the green plastic top part, you can use a clear gloss enamel to cover any imperfections.

Here is a few pics of the work in progress.
GLR2.jpg

GLR1.jpg

Well spent a little time this weekend trying to mod my ring. First I disassembled and sanded down the metal part as well as drilling a small hole in the center for a larger gem like Batjeepster did in his Youtube video, as well as trying to paint a silver ring on the inside near the gem. Needless to say most of that didn't work out. I did buy a few different gems at Michaels and and found one that went a little better as well as a metal insert ring from an old pen. Still haven't glued it back together as I'm still trying other things but this looks the best so far. Also a little tip for anyone who has scratched the green plastic top part, you can use a clear gloss enamel to cover any imperfections.

GLR2.jpg

GLR1.jpg

I think it looks terrific. Good job.

GLR2.jpg

GLR1.jpg

What brand enamel did you use. I want to touch up mine and am afraid of using something that will eat at the plastic.

Where did you get the flat gem? That looks fantastic!

Thanks but actually I can't take all the credit for the flat gem. I used the same rhinestone MrGzilla used only I flipped it; sanded off the silver sticky backing on the back then polished (wet sanded) it with some really fine sandpaper to remove the scuff marks and sprayed it with some clear enamel like stivie suggested. Nice and shiny.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back