Green Lantern movie rings at Toys R Us

Has anyone figured out any lighting for it yet? That facebook ring looks awesome lit up, and there must be something that can go inside of this one to add a lightup feature.

I saw someone asked him for some ip on how he lights them, but there was no reply back to that.

I picked up a blockbuster ring, but that light sceme is not only only white (Green would of course be MUCH better!) And the space that light needs is MUCH larger than the space available in the tru diecast ring.

I found the faux miror backed gems at walmart. They had a bunch of colors, and I really preferred using one of the yellow gems instead of just a clear one. (The comic GL has a more yellow green color scheme, and the movie has a more blue green one instead.)

Instead of dremelling the entire innards out, I just ground it down until the faux gem could sit under the original green cap. (I wanted to keep that, since it had a nice light diffusing starburst on the inside.)

After doing it, the center had less of a glass shine to it, and more of a plastic one, so I just topped it with some future floor wax hoping to get a more glass like finish to it.

Pic as soon as it dries. Tanks to all here for the great ideas for enhancing this simple cheap movie prop!

final.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine the other day and put a little piece of foam in the back so it would fit, I like the way it looks as it is, but I'm considering taking off the green plastic and fixing the inside band where it should be silver and putting an LED in it like this guy did:

Light it up!

While thinking about it, I decided that I didn't want to add the silver band cause it makes the rings look more like jewelry and less like a I dunno, power ring?

It looks less superhero like and more bling-bling like to me.

I'm still considering how I want to make it light up, and how to put the hole for the LED, should I try to drill in from the back or should I take the top off with acetone or something and drill from there, also, does anyone have a picture of what the ring looks like with the green part off?

Attached are pictures of my ring and the pictures with the green part off and a hole drilled through the center,

in order to take the green part off you have to drill out the center (pretty sure anyway, that's just what I did). I took all the weathering off my ring with acetone, sprayed on a couple of layers of Krylon Acrylic Gloss, and then replaced the center gem with another better, brighter piece,

Enjoy!

Thanks, for the pictures, they are helpful. I don't want to change any of the ring aside from adding a hole to it, but how did you drill the hole into it from the back, shouldn't the band be in the way?

alright, thanks

Edit: Sadly, It was not mentioned that popping the cap/gem off would break off, and now I'll have to get a gem, which I don't have yet :D

And crap, I also messed up the green plastic >.>

Looks like I gotta go buy a new one in 2 weeks when I get another $10

Last edited:
You can easily fix the whiteish scrapes on the plastic with future floor wax, or a gloss clear coat.

TRU has the rings on a promo this week: Buy $25 worth of GL toys, and get a ring FREE! (And they usually honor deals on items purchased in the last 30 days, in case anyone was considering buying the toy lantern, or the toys.)

Has anyone found a good cheap current click pen in stores as a center silver ring donor? I've hit a numbe rof stores, and haven't found anything suitable. Wish I still had some old Bic Clic pens laying around.

Could anyone tell me what the height of the ring is from the inside to the top of the ring as well as the total width at the top? Thanks!

The height of the plastic portion is 1/4" the top width (along your finger) is 13/16ths and the top left/right width is 3/4". Keep in mind the ring top is trapezoid shaped, so the bottom of the plastic part is larger left to right. Its just under an inch at the bottom, left to right.

I want to add a silver ring around the gem but I do not have a steady hand to paint.

What can I stick in there? What size does it need to be? Those who used a ballpoint pen part, what model was it?

The height of the plastic portion is 1/4" the top width (along your finger) is 13/16ths and the top left/right width is 3/4". Keep in mind the ring top is trapezoid shaped, so the bottom of the plastic part is larger left to right. Its just under an inch at the bottom, left to right.

Sweet- thanks! I think there might be just enough room for my plan to work. Now all I need is a ring and a lantern... :)

I want to add a silver ring around the gem but I do not have a steady hand to paint.

What can I stick in there? What size does it need to be? Those who used a ballpoint pen part, what model was it?

I just found an ancient Bic Clic ball point pen, and the silver ring in it was perfect. I looked at walmart, kmart, and office depot, and could find no current cheap pen with a detail ring that would work.

I also converted to the less accurate point stick on gem from Michael's today, because I really preferred the sparkle and the center "ray" effect they have. Plus I prefer the center lighter in color, as if it was lighting somewhat, over the duller original color that was the same as the outer portion of the ring.

Also, Tru WILL refund your older ring purchase if you buy $25 or more worth of GL merchandise this week. They just refunded us for both our rings on a $52 purchase, which was a good incentive to pick up the movie masters figures.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back