Got my MR Vader......

So letÂ’s cut to the chase. . . Believe it or not, the problem is the fleece bag. For those who have received their helmets, you will notice that the bag that is intended for the dome has a beautiful, large MR logo embroidered on it. Unfortunately, that caused the problem. When we performed our required transportation test, the backside of the embroidery would actually scuff the helmet by the constant vibration of the simulated transportation test. After a thorough evaluation of the bag, it was noted that the thread that was used in the production pieces was not the same that we approved in the pre-production samples. The thread was thicker, and therefore, more abrasive. Our QC staff and the vendor tried to address this by requiring that the embroidery be oriented on the front side of the helmet, where there is the large opening. But during the subsequent transportation test, the bag could shift and then cause the scuffing damage to the helmet. Therefore, the decision was made to not place the dome in the bag for shipping. However, the bag can still be used to store the helmet. This solution passed the transportation test.

You have got to be kidding me....

First off, my helmet is here in town and will be delivered today although I'll have to pick it up from the office because no-one will be at home to receive it.
Barring a miracle, at this point, I'm already expecting that I'll have to send it back.
That'll make for an interesting dilemma because what about Customs? Do I get reimbursed for duty I pay on a $900 helmet I won't keep to cover when I get nailed for a second duty on a replacement helmet??

I'll have to wait and see (I'm not holding my breath on being a "satisfied customer", though)...

All that aside, I can't believe this explanation about the bag.

It's a good thing I'm not an MR employee because it wouldn't last long:

"Umm, guys? So, we've determined that the MR logo on the fleece bag is scuffing the helmets. I know self-promotion is one thing but why not just ship the bag without the logo?? I mean, the stand, the plaque and the, oh, $900 FREAKIN' HELMET already scream 'Master Replicas'. So what if our logo isn't on the bag? I'm sure our customers would be happier knowing the 'protective fleece bag' actually, y'know, protects the dome."

"Good idea, Russ, but I think we'll instead go with the plan of just tossing the bag inside the dome and hope the styrofoam does nothing to the helmet during shipping. By the way, you're fired."

:rolleyes

They'd better be prepared for this exchange ('cause it will be coming):

"Hello, Master Replicas Customer Service. How can we be of assistance?"

"Uh, yeah. Hi. I went to take my ROTS Vader helmet over to my friend's place and the stitching on the fleece bag scuffed up my dome."

"Yes, we knew about that. That's why we shipped the bag inside the dome in the first place."

"You knew the bag damaged the helmet? What, exactly, was I supposed to do with the f^%&ing thing, then?? Tack it to my f%^&ing wall?."

"Ummmm.... we'llhavetogetbacktoyou."*CLIK*buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

"Quality control", indeed... :rolleyes

Russ

:lol ...I enjoyed that little skit Russ... :p

....be sure to post pix once you get your lid.....hopefully, Customs didn't open it up and drop it.

That'll make for an interesting dilemma because what about Customs? Do I get reimbursed for duty I pay on a $900 helmet I won't keep to cover when I get nailed for a second duty on a replacement helmet??

BTW, you can get a refund from Customs (minus a $5 "processing fee" :rolleyes ) for items that have been returned. Look on the back of the Customs slip and instructions are there....I've done this a few times...usually takes about 4 - 6 weeks to get a refund....

Originally posted by Darth Bill@Jan 26 2006, 10:24 AM

You have got to be kidding me....

First off, my helmet is here in town and will be delivered today although I'll have to pick it up from the office because no-one will be at home to receive it.
Barring a miracle, at this point, I'm already expecting that I'll have to send it back.

I'll have to wait and see (I'm not holding my breath on being a "satisfied customer", though)...

All that aside, I can't believe this explanation about the bag.

It's a good thing I'm not an MR employee because it wouldn't last long:

"Umm, guys? So, we've determined that the MR logo on the fleece bag is scuffing the helmets. I know self-promotion is one thing but why not just ship the bag without the logo?? I mean, the stand, the plaque and the, oh, $900 FREAKIN' HELMET already scream 'Master Replicas'. So what if our logo isn't on the bag? I'm sure our customers would be happier knowing the 'protective fleece bag' actually, y'know, protects the dome."

"Good idea, Russ, but I think we'll instead go with the plan of just tossing the bag inside the dome and hope the styrofoam does nothing to the helmet during shipping. By the way, you're fired."

:rolleyes

They'd better be prepared for this exchange ('cause it will be coming):

"Hello, Master Replicas Customer Service. How can we be of assistance?"

"Uh, yeah. Hi. I went to take my ROTS Vader helmet over to my friend's place and the stitching on the fleece bag scuffed up my dome."

"Yes, we knew about that. That's why we shipped the bag inside the dome in the first place."

"You knew the bag damaged the helmet? What, exactly, was I supposed to do with the f^%&ing thing, then?? Tack it to my f%^&ing wall?."

"Ummmm....  we'llhavetogetbacktoyou."*CLIK*buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

"Quality control", indeed...  :rolleyes

Russ
[snapback]1168630[/snapback]​

Y'know, I never even thought about that last point detailing transporting the helmet later but you're right, that was a truly boneheaded thing to do.

Plain fleece seems the way to go in the future.

Bruce

Sounds like a "bean counter" hard at work over at MR. They probably calculated that by having products made in China they can afford to replace every 3rd helmet a couple of times and still turn a profit. :unsure

I assure you that they have a graph and a chart somewhere... :lol

I too would like to see them manufacture in the US by American workers (not illegal aliens) and get it done right the 1st time. I'm not saying that American workers can't make "mistakes", but it's not as common as with overseas manufacturing. Also, the manufacturing is "closer to home" so problems can be caught quicker and remedied before something like this happens. :thumbsup

Anything less for a replica that costs almost (or in some cases, MORE than) $1000 is just silly, IMO. :confused

In the end, it's all about profit.

Well, FedEx Ground tried to deliver it at 9:18 AM....

I'll have to pick it up after work.
I know where to get it... I used to work there. :lol

No COD. That's a good thing, right now.

I'm sure I'll get hit with a brokerage bill later, though. :unsure

Russ

Originally posted by Darth Bill@Jan 26 2006, 11:50 AM

I know where to get it... I used to work there.  :lol

I'm sure I'll get hit with a brokerage bill later, though.  :unsure

Russ
[snapback]1168698[/snapback]​

Whereabouts do u live?

Nduty paid on my delivery - no brokerage either yet - should get my broker's statement Monday....

I'm Ontario, Canada BTW...

-Rod

Originally posted by soltic+Jan 26 2006, 12:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(soltic @ Jan 26 2006, 12:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Bill
@Jan 26 2006, 11:50 AM

I know where to get it... I used to work there.  :lol

I'm sure I'll get hit with a brokerage bill later, though.  :unsure

Russ
[snapback]1168698[/snapback]​

Whereabouts do u live?

Nduty paid on my delivery - no brokerage either yet - should get my broker's statement Monday....

I'm Ontario, Canada BTW...

-Rod
[snapback]1168774[/snapback]​
[/b]

...you will probably get a bill from whomever FedEx uses for brokering their items into Canada....it may not neccessarily be billed with the delivery of the item....

I'm cool wi' dat.

Just as long as I don't have to sell a kidney to get it out of FedEx's paws now.

Money's kinda tight 'til next Thursday. :lol

Russ

Hey Darth Bill, I don't have my Magic 8 Ball here @ work so I can't predict how urs is gonna be / how much beer ur gonna require (actually beer works both ways (for the good & bad) so I'll go ahead & say (sans 8 Ball) get urself a 6'er - tall boys), but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what u find. Really hope this thread is offset w/ some great news.

-Rod

OK, not to get off topic, but Darth Bill, that is the best avatar I've ever seen.

All this talk about clearcoat--I think Spidey needs to mind his own helmet's finish...

:lol

I didn't buy one ofthese things and now I'm glad I didn't. I'm sorry that those that did are having to go through this problem. Yeah I'm not directly involved in this myself but I wanted to offer my sympathy. It's ridiculous that a large company can produce a item and sell it for such a high price and yet not take extra care (isn't that part of what you are paying for?) to see to it that the item is top quality before shipping it out.

I'm happy with my Rubies helmet.

Just wondering: if the helmets are receiving the abrasions from shipping from their warehouse in NJ to me / us - would that mean then that they are being (re?)packed in the US?

If so, that means they're shipping from the manufacturer in China (half a world away) to the US w/out receiving the abrasions(.)....

If so, that also means that if they're being packed locally, they're not inspecting in NJ either.....

I think I'm starting to ride a dead horse. I'm tired.

Originally posted by soltic@Jan 26 2006, 08:38 PM
Just wondering: if the helmets are receiving the abrasions from shipping from their warehouse in NJ to me / us - would that mean then that they are being (re?)packed in the US?

If so, that means they're shipping from the manufacturer in China (half a world away) to the US w/out receiving the abrasions(.)....

If so, that also means that if they're being packed locally, they're not inspecting in NJ either.....

I think I'm starting to ride a dead horse. I'm tired.
[snapback]1168959[/snapback]​

That's not what was said. The items are shipped from overseas in large cargo containers, packed carefully, all neatly stacked and arrive intact. The assumption is that when a single helmet leaves the wearhouse in NJ, the care and handling by the delivery service is causing the problem. So now MR IS opening the helmets in NJ, checking them and repacking them with a plastic bag for protection.

Not beating a dead horse, you just missed a bit of information.

Check out this lovely dome received/opened just today:

dsc022477fd.jpg

dsc022462lu.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back