Got my MR Vader......

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by soltic, Jan 25, 2006.

1. soltic

soltic Active Member

With drool abounding while opening the massive box & freaking out thinking "it's here. it's here." the utter dissapointment is almost too much to handle.

Like the others reported, my dome did not come in it's baggie (can u believe they ship the baggy INSIDE the dome..) & u guessed it, the top is abound w/ micro scratches & a dull spot 2" in diameter.

But it gets worse, there's a gouge AND chip that's been touched up w/ a different gloss paint on the the triangular area between the nose & tusk - impossible to miss.

Not finished yet - the joint between the left cheek & triangular mouth extrusion has been puttied & then painted over.

Can someone please quickly tell me how to post pics or hoist some for me? I am gonna start taking pics in a minute.

Overall feeling: crushing :cry - to wait with baited breath to get defects @ this price level?

Calling MR right now :angry .

UPDATE: MR is sending a Fedex label for return, I've pleaded the replacement is carefully inspected prior to shipping, so far MR has been responsive & apologetic.

Let's hope this is not as widespread as it may appear...
    -Rod

2. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....*sigh*....I really hope that the issues with the Clone and Vader are isolated incidents....

You can use www.imageshack.us for image posting....they'll let you post up to 1024 KB file....which will be better for seeing the detail of the screw ups on your lid....

I'm getting VERY concerned with the quality control issues that seem to be popping up with MR's helmet line. My Vader is due in the next couple of weeks and I really don't want to be disappointed....

3. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

What a shame man... after all the neverending wait... many of the helmets are with serious problems, after paying a lot ...

MR has no excuse at all... let´s see how the rest are...

Please, post pics...

4. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dissapointing, but I'm surethey'll fix it for you - I've always gotten great customer service.

5. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Wow.....that's unacceptable....especially the half-a$$ed chip repair....probably done with a black magic marker.

....I would hope MR would replace the defective lids...although they may be inundated with returns if this is indicative of the helmets that are being delivered.....

....Je$u$....I didn't even notice the last pic....I guess it didn't load....those scratches make me cry. :cry .....man, ....gettin' worried....

6. ImprisonedFett

ImprisonedFett New Member

This is the first we have heard about the new Vader helmet not coming 100%. However too many have comented negativley about the new line of helmets that I don't believe we can say they are "Isolated" incidents. If these problems are happening with the helmets here then they are happening everywhere else. Problem is, we know more about this stuff then the general public and they can't tell the difference.

7. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

IMO that is shocking.

Jez

8. BoBoDohn

BoBoDohn Well-Known Member

Wow... that's sad. Mine should be in this afternoon.

I actually had a dream last night that I openned the box to find a cheapo Don Post Stormtrooper helmet painted black. Guess that wouldn't be much worse than what you found :(

9. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

That helmet never should have been allowed the leave their facilities in that condition. Glad to see that they are going to replace it for you, but they shouldn't have sent it out looking like that in the first place.

10. Darth Clayton

Darth Clayton Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got one on order also, and this is scaring the CRAP out of me.. :eek

DC

11. jedeyenight

jedeyenight Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That really bugs me, they told me I needed to write an Email to ocasas@mastereplicas.com
    They said they could not help me with this over the phone?

12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been hearing a lot of bad things in regards to these helmets. It seems MR's quality control was lacking during the process of these things. Which is really sad due to the price tag on these items and the hassle of having to return it and wait to get a new one.

13. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Did they say whether you're expected to pay for the return shipping costs or whether it will be a "free post" type arrangement?

Cheers

Jez

14. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Wow...not good... :(

The quality control issues are not looking good at all, hell the Rocketer helmets are still listed “on hold” at the MR site. This is not a cheap helmet and should have never been touched up, if it was not right then it needed to be redone completely and I can’t understand why the dome is not being wrapped, that’s just common sense.

IÂ’m sure MR will make it right but thatÂ’s not the issue, this should not happening in the first place.

Jim

15. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

That is a shocker - sounds like MR need to tighten up on quality control.

Hope you get a pristine replacement ASAP.

16. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

REALLY bad.

Good luck.

17. Henry Wayne

Henry Wayne Active Member

I am starting to worried about mine. :( I have ordered the dual signatures edition. With the $1500 price tag and if the helmet get to me like this, I will be really MAD.... :angry

MR, please take some serious attention to the quality control..

18. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

That's quite disappointing - I've also got an SE that will be shipping soon. Needless to say if it looks half that bad, it's going back. Hope MR makes things right (for everybody).

19. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

Good lord.. I have bought all of MR's LE replicas, and all the studio scales and I've never had a problem with anything from them. I am very, very glad, however, that I decided to pass on their helmets. It sounds like this entire line is suffering from some major manufacturing problems. I wonder if they're even inspecting them, or just shipping boxes as they were packaged in Asia.

20. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe that MR provides a label, an authorization code, or both. In any case, they pay the cost of shipping for the return and the replacement. Given their recent problems with QC, I think they'd lose a ton of business if they were burdening customers with the cost of returning defective merchandise.

I've got the double SE on order, too. Keeping my fingers crossed... :confused

21. msmjr2003

msmjr2003 New Member

You know, I'm getting concerned myself. However, there is a 30-day money back guarantee I believe. It'd be a shame to return an item like this (I've wanted one forever) but if the quality is not there, we're not out the money...

That is if the guarantee is still in play?.?.?.?.?.

22. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I've just cancelled my order. After all the extremely poor advice to me from customer service on the Target order, now this. They will most likely pay dearly now for shopping around for the cheapest production possible, in the form of returns and cancellations. I was looking forward to that thing for SO long.

23. msmjr2003

msmjr2003 New Member

If you are guaranteed your money back or an exchange if you don't like what you get, then you really can't go wrong with looking forward to getting your product.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  24. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

Just disgusting ... :cry

soltic - What is the numer of your helmet ???

FP

25. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

We should ALL OF US "CANCEL" ALL the helmet orders from MR, untill they can assure us that EVERY single helmet they send out is in perfect condition...

Guys, I think this is insane... we pay from $400 to $1500 in helmets, and now we are all fearfull to recieved a bad quality helmet ...

WTF men, they MUST guaratte that everything is perfect, no time for excuses, no time to read something like: "it´s is done in Thailand". I dont care where they are done, that is their problem, not us...

I really dont know how MASTER REPLICAS sell this kind of helmets

Now I recieve an email from 1 of my dealers, telling me this:

So what??? they dont know what they do ?? send some helmets without the COA or Plaque ???

Instead of MASTER REPLICAS they must be called as... APPRENTICE REPLICAS...

I ordered 3 clone helmets, and was going to order the Vader as well, but NOW I can assure you I wont order it by any reason ...

Edit: spelling

26. msmjr2003

msmjr2003 New Member

I suggest that before we all go off half-cocked and prejudge what we are getting, to wait and see if ours is better. My helmet hasn't arrived...I'm not going to make a knee-jerk reaction until I get my MR Vader, check it out, and see if it meets my standards. If it does, then I'll be glad I didn't get overly upset and cancel out. If it does NOT meet my standards, then I invoke the "guarantee clause."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  27. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Here's wishing foir quick, positive responses for folks with less than satisfactory helmets arriving.

28. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My Star Corps helmet arrived in perfect condition. I'm sure not going to cancel the Special Ops or Shock Troop buckets because of the possibility that they may be defective.

I agree with you: wait for the helmets to arrive, THEN make a decision. :thumbsup

29. JDFett

JDFett Active Member

well i can tell you this...looking at those pictures in the first few post, id be interested in seeing others that come in...i too had one one order, but had recently cancelled it as i opted to go with a ROTS reveal w/neckbrace from ebayer portumac...the helmt i ordered and received is mint and it looks exactly like the photos i took of the actual reveal helmet that was on display at the museum of science. i can tell you that im glad i did what i did now. i only paid 850 for the helmet which included free shipping and the neckbrace which goes for over 250 normally.

i am very disappointed in that type of product coming form MR and wonder if it is an isolated incident...any chance that your box was opened by the retailer and they fixed it after * it up? just a thought. if it is MR's problem and it comes to be status quo on these helmets, i will never again even think of spending that kind of cash for one of them. fan made ones may cost similar..but it seems we take more pride in our quality...

30. soltic

soltic Active Member

Hi Jez, no they assured me that the shipping to/from Canada is covered under their Fedex account, so urs from/to England should be the same if u have a problem (I'm ASSuming). My fingers are crossed for everyone else.

I'd like everyone to know that this is my first MR piece other than FX's, & I'll reiterate that I hope this is localized. So far they have been very attentive, I'm sure they will come thru for me or anyone else for that matter

I don't know what their profit margin must be on the lids (both DV & CT) but I'm sure biting the ticket on shipping this box (& again, this is a big box) back 2X has easily got to be their profit, or possibly a loss.

I'm more than willing to stick this out w/ them - other than the problems (lol) the helmet WAS AWESOME. & I admire anyone who has the brass to get a LFL license & try to bring something of this heft to market.

Hey FP - Chris, it was lid #174.

-Rod

31. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i think the worst thing about this isnt that your helmets are damaged (they will get replaced, MR has been very good to me and friends) i think the real prob is going to be the delay that will most deffinately happen for all upcomming products. :(

it may be a year or 2 before we even see the fett or TK, i for one am very curious...

(at least witht the boba scratches wouldnt be a prob. :p )

32. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

That's good to know...still brokerage/Customs refund hassles to deal with tho....

As far as the quality issues, I'm reserving judgement until I get mine as I do love all of my other MR stuff....but I gotta say that my confidence has definitely been shaken with the Vader and Clone lid screw ups...

Hopefully, these turn out to be isolated occurrences....we'll see.....

33. Jedi Conductor

Jedi Conductor New Member

Guys,

That's terrible... I've gotten a few things from MR that were great, and a few that had to be returned. Always have had good service with them.

However, if my Vader comes to me in that condition, I'm gonna be mad..... Let's hope that this is an extremely rare occurance. The best of luck with getting it replaced with a good one..

Later,
    JC

34. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

For $899 plus tax and shipping, it really shouldn't be hit-or-miss. This was not knee-jerk. It came after watching some of the MR products have more delays and more problems over the past few months. Seeing the pictures was just the final straw. I will gladly give MR my money again once they get back on track. For the price I really shouldn't ever even have to consider the fact that I may have to go through the hassle of sending it back.

35. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your problems, can i just ask, is there a problem with the lower mouth grill being chipped or filed incorrectly, it doesn't look right?

36. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

wow... yeah, guess he didnt notice amongst all the other probs. :(

man, i hate this, and im sure MR CS will too.

37. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Agreed.

What is really disturbing is that some of the defects were "painted over". I mean, they knew about some of these problems before shipping. What kind of QC is that?? :rolleyes

That is pretty bad IMO, seeing as the helmets cost a premium. You shouldnt worry about getting a satisfactory piece out of the lot. I've had my problems getting working FXs and finally gave up.

When I get my helmet in I plan to give a thorough inspection. Any defects and I will gladly return it on their dime...

One other thing I dont understand: the inconsistences of the helmets. I thought MR had scanned the original pieces and/or gotten the clone helm computer designs for these new helmets? If that is true how can some be smaller/different than the screen used versions? Is this a case of bad manufacturing ala "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe"?

38. Emeldahay

Emeldahay Well-Known Member

This hobby is so hit and miss.

39. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I almost wet myself :lol

40. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well , I had planned on getting a plain Clone helmet and Vader, but after hearing all these problems, I'll just forget it and get a fan made replica instead.

41. greatgarlando

greatgarlando Well-Known Member

Ditto :(

42. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What are they playing at? I really hope mine don't have any problems :(

43. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

ditto3

44. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I had issues with four... yes FOUR, different Vader ESB FX sabers I got from them. It took four before I finally got one that was acceptable.

Im glad that I dont have the cash to get this helemt right now, actually reading this thread makes me reconsider if I even want it at all. Seems MR is not taking the time to make sure product is protected. Thats simply not acceptable.

45. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Exactly. It would be one thing if a "flaw" or "defect" had made it past QC - it happens in every business - but it appears that QC caught it and then tried to cover it up instead of doing the right thing and replacing it before shipping.

The last thing I bought from M.R. was in 2004. They keep sending me emails, about once every 14 days, begging me to check out their website and order something. Sorry. Not until I have the confidence to buy from them again, and THIS latest discovery ain't doing it for me.
    :unsure

I really hope everyone with helmet problems the best of luck, and I hope everything is resolved as quickly (and cheaply) as possible. :thumbsup

46. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

MR IS LAME

47. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All this sloppy workmanship and lack of QC really has reached the level of ridiculousness. If they don't reel in these quality issues soon, I'll probably just take my business back to the fanmade product vendors. At least the quality control track record appears better there. And I can save a little money to boot.

I thought MR's posting about the quality issue being corrected prior to more product would encompass all their products.................but apparently I was mistaken. Why is it the quality is always better when the company is new???

Oh well, I suppose it was bound to happen. It seems to be the general trend of most new companies: trading quality for quantity. Sad.

Dave :(

48. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well I recieved my MR Vader helmet today and hastily unpacking it I noticed a glaring discrepancy. The dome was not covered at all to protect it from the styrofome. The facemask was...thank god....but the dome wasnt. You can guess what happened next. There are two scuff marks on the top of the dome. Ugg. The styrofome acted like an abrasive and scratched it all up. I inspected the facemask and that looks pretty good. I will look at it closer again after seeing the earlier posts on the other chipped facemask to be sure its ok.

To be fair the helmet itself is very very impressive. It has a good paintjob on it and the fiberglass seems topnotch but its the simple steps that were missed. Like packing it properly. For that much money I simply cant accept those scratches.

Carl

49. MRCUSTOMERCARE

MRCUSTOMERCARE Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone.

Sorry I have not been around in a few days. I have been training a new call center and have been pretty busy.

I have been reading the threads about the Vader Helmet and have forwarded them on to the appropriate people. Product development issues are not my area of expertise.

The following is a message from Bryan Ono, our Manager of the Star Wars/Sci Fi Division. I know that you will notice that it does not sound like me..

We would like to apologize for the issues that have arisen in regards to the Darth Vader Helmet. This helmet is one of our most anticipated products and to have this happen is a major disappointment to Master Replicas and especially to our valued customers. As we have stated before, we will always be straight forward and honest with our customers. We have been in contact with our Hong Kong office to first get all of the facts so that we can fully understand how a possible breakdown in our rigid QC process could have occurred.

First, all pending shipments of the helmets are on hold. We sincerely apologize for this since we know how anxious many of you are to receive this item and how many of you have received confirmations. If you received a confirmation and your credit card has been charged and your item has not yet shipped, we will immediately issue a credit.

So letÂ’s cut to the chase. . . Believe it or not, the problem is the fleece bag. For those who have received their helmets, you will notice that the bag that is intended for the dome has a beautiful, large MR logo embroidered on it. Unfortunately, that caused the problem. When we performed our required transportation test, the backside of the embroidery would actually scuff the helmet by the constant vibration of the simulated transportation test. After a thorough evaluation of the bag, it was noted that the thread that was used in the production pieces was not the same that we approved in the pre-production samples. The thread was thicker, and therefore, more abrasive. Our QC staff and the vendor tried to address this by requiring that the embroidery be oriented on the front side of the helmet, where there is the large opening. But during the subsequent transportation test, the bag could shift and then cause the scuffing damage to the helmet. Therefore, the decision was made to not place the dome in the bag for shipping. However, the bag can still be used to store the helmet. This solution passed the transportation test.

Now, you may be asking why we did not place it in a plastic bag to protect it. As many of you may know, as the paint cures, sometimes over several weeks, the solvents in the paint evaporate into the air. If the helmets were in plastic bags, there is a chance that the solvents could be “trapped” and can then mar the shiny, smooth surfaces. The paint can take up to several weeks to fully cure depending on the environmental conditions. That is why they were placed in fleece bags that can “breath.”

So, where does the damage occur? We can only guess on this, but it is our opinion that the damage occurs in the transportation from our warehouse in New Jersey to your homes. We have no control on how FedEX or UPS handles the boxes. They can be mis-handled, thrown, placed on the bottom of a heavy pile, shipped upside down, etc. (We all know how much they pay attention to “This Side Up” and “Fragile” stickers.)

Therefore, here is our resolution. We will open all of the boxes in our warehouse, inspect them for damage and defects, and then place the domes in plastic bags to protect them during shipping. We can now use plastic bags since the paint should now be fully cured.

Now, the next obvious question. . . When will I get my helmet? For those who ordered the LE version, we will be working with our warehouse to re-work the ones in stock as soon as possible. We are anticipating that it will take approximately 1-2 weeks to get the plastic bags and the personnel to do this. The Signature versions are en route from Asia and will be reworked when they arrive. For the Dual Signature Edition, those are currently at our freight forwarder in Hong Kong and will be sent back to the factory for the re-work. Unfortunately, Asia is on their Chinese New Years holiday and will not be returning to work until after February 10. Therefore, unfortunately, these helmets will not be shipped to customers until March.

Let me address the other quality problems like the painting and other issues. No matter how stringent our QC process is, there will always be a few that “escape” our watchful eye in mass production. We apologize for this and we will replace any product that has defects.

As you all know, Master Replicas always stands behind our products and it is our policy that if you are not satisfied for any reason, we (obviously meaning AMY.) will always try our best to rectify the problem to your satisfaction. Once again we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

50. carves

carves Well-Known Member

I dunno about you guys, but all of the buckets I own comes from ppl that knows what they are doing with helmet (reputable prop maker).

Even if the price can be higher than mass produce helmets (Don Post or alike), but 99.9% I will be very happy with the result.