Game of Thrones

If anyone still needs a Dark Ages Sean Bean fix, check out Black Death on Netflix streaming. I thought it was pretty good. Not for the squeamish though.

If anyone still needs a Dark Ages Sean Bean fix, check out Black Death on Netflix streaming. I thought it was pretty good. Not for the squeamish though.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out, my brother had mentioned something about that show the other night but he couldn't recall the name.

Yeah, I've been fending off the withdrawal by reading the second book. It's slow getting started, but I'm enjoying it anyway. I'm not quite 100 pages in, soooo I've got about 1000 more to go. :)

I didn't find the series spoiled having read the first book. I mean, I knew what was coming, but it was still fun watching it unfold. They also added a bunch of stuff into the series which, in my opinion, essentially does in individual scenes what the books do in some 50 pages of revealing bits and bobs about the characters.

The scene between Robert and Cersei for example appears nowhere in the book, but it gives you a good sense of some other stuff that's alluded to in the book but very gradually and in bits and pieces here and there. Instead, they condense it to one very crisp, terrifically acted scene.

So, I'd say if you're curious, read the books. As has been said here, though, read only the first three, and then wait for the 5th to come out before reading 4 and 5 back-to-back. Apparently 4 and 5 tell two different sides of a single story and happen at the same time, with 4 happening in the south, and 5 happening in the north.

it isn't going to hurt starting 4 right now. 5 comes out in 2 weeks! :) Six and seven however.. we might be waiting for a while on.

I'm in the middle of book 3. And i've had a lot spoiled for me by my cousin, who is waiting for 5 to come out. But even with things spoiled, I can't WAIT to read and get to those parts, and keep going, and keep finding out more. There are sooooo many twists and turns and wonderful characters.

Tyrion is one of my favorite characters EVER in literature. He's just that cool.

Read the books. It will ease the passing of time between seasons! I'm far too weak to wait. They are soooo good!

A question -

A while back, I got somewhere into book 3 (Storm of Swords) before stopping for whatever reason. I'm re-reading book 2 (Clash of Kings) to re-familiarize myself.

Theon's uncle is priest of the Drowned God, their ritual states "that which is dead may never die" and their emblem is a kraken. Am I reading too much into it, or are the Greyjoys essentially worshiping Cthulhu?

Theon's uncle is priest of the Drowned God, their ritual states "that which is dead may never die" and their emblem is a kraken. Am I reading too much into it, or are the Greyjoys essentially worshiping Cthulhu?

That's close to discussing Cthulhu and R'lyeh but not quite right. Sounds like it certainly has some roots in the Cthulhu mythos.

Yeah, it does seem like a little Cthulhu was inspiring the Greyjoy's and their lore. :) I dig it! They also become a lot more important as the books go on.

Anyone reading A Dance With Dragons yet?

I'm about 70 pages in. So far it is pretty amazing. I can see why people who have been waiting 11 years for these characters in DWD to be brought back into the fold would be mad at the wait.. but this should make up for it. I can't wait to see where this takes us!

Martin says he's not starting up on Winds of Winter until the new year.. and by that, i hope he means Jan 1st!

Yikes. Glad I'm only up to Book 2 then. I think my approach may have to be reading one per summer until he's done, and hope that he starts writing one a year by the time I'm fully caught up.

A question -

A while back, I got somewhere into book 3 (Storm of Swords) before stopping for whatever reason. I'm re-reading book 2 (Clash of Kings) to re-familiarize myself.

Not really. The whole "that which is dead may never die" has to do with their "baptism" ritual where the baptee (for lack of a better term) is drowned and then revived.

It sounds similar to "That is not dead may eternal lie yet with strange aeons even death may die".
I suppose it has the same meaning in a slightly shorter way.
Maybe it's a tribute ;)

Now, on a somewhat more troubling note, from talking to my cousin (who's read all the books), he's concerned that the second season may be too slow to maintain its audience. He sees the second book (and thus the second season) as "transitional" to the third one where all hell breaks loose. But all hell breaking loose apparently requires quite a bit of setup and that's the second book.

If your cousin found Book 2 slow, he's got issues. I can't put this thing down. Maybe he's confusing books 2 & 3, because hell is breaking loose in a Clash of Kings.

I am SOOOO glad I found this series. Had no clue it existed.

I just finished A Feast For Crows. I can't believe there's only one more to read. I am not sure I can wait so long for the next one.

I think these are actually better than LOTR. I know, I know... big call.

Is there anyone more messed up than Cersei Lannister?

I just finished A Feast For Crows. I can't believe there's only one more to read. I am not sure I can wait so long for the next one.

I think these are actually better than LOTR. I know, I know... big call.

Is there anyone more messed up than Cersei Lannister?

What is sad is that as the books go on, I'm actually starting to like Cersei a bit more. I mean, sure, she's horrible. But she has her motivations. And like a lot of other characters, everything can change about them. She's screwed up beyond belief, and I do think pretty much pure evil.. lol.. but just wait till book 5. Some interesting character developments for her. Can't wait to see if she makes it to the end of the series, and if so, what she is like at that point. Because baby.. WINTER IS COMING! :p

And while I'm hesitant to say it is better than LOTR's until the whole series is complete, I do think it is at least close second. And if the books end as well as I hope, I could see myself holding it above the LOTR's. That's hard to say. I've just now accepted that. But it's true. I think just because it is a little more accessible for everyone, and has so much politics and force behind it. LOTR's is great, but it is so magical and fantastical, and that takes me away from reality. Ice and Fire really hits some reality based strings in my heart. I think they both have excellent qualities, and I'm just not sure I can pick a fav at this point. But they are very close! So don't feel bad. I'm a huge LOTR's freak too.. so this doesn't come easy for me to say.

Oh, so am I. I'm a big fan of LOTR. I've read those books a-plenty. Though, for the character development alone I think SoFaI wins out.

....I just came up with SoFaI.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back