G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Post-release)

haha i actually liked it a lot for what it was. there were some things that annoyed me tho. for example:
the cobra satellite briefcase had 2 buttons , one to launch and one to abort. why would you, if you want to take over the world have the abort button automatically destroy all the satellites? i mean thats just stupid
the movie had a few of those moments, but overall i liked it

i also love jd, hes allways so grumpy about new stuff, he likes nothing xD
You're creepy. :eek

I loved the Oz The Great & Powerful.

Havent seen this one yet, I was a fan of the first one even though everyone I know said it was cheese. Going to see it soon, hope its cool, I loved GI Joe as a kid.

Finally seen it today, seems like its been out forEVER since it opened lol. To me it seemed rushed, since we knew the premise (I didn't check spoilers) and it wasn't surprising how most things turned out. They said Tatum was begged for more screen time, I was expecting his final battle to be towards the climax. I guessed wrong. I expected more but it surpassed the first (and I actually liked Rise of Cobra) yippee my 1000th post! All in all, it wasn't totally mindblowing, and it wasn't totally bland. It was good for what it was.

I am struggling with how I feel about this movie and trying to determine if I liked it because it was good (or at least had a lot of good elements) or if is simply because it was nearly impossible for it to be worse than the first movie. In some ways I feel about this movie the way I feel about the Transformers' movies; I love seeing my childhood passions brought to life and loved seeing the massive robots beating the crap out of one another, but pretty much everything else was horrific. I feel the same about GI Joe. Seeing Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fight (and there was a lot more of it than I was expecting) was absolutely awesome and my inner child was cheering, but much of the rest of the movie was just painful.

Some observations:

- Channing Tatum couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. If part of the reason for the delay of the release of this movie was to add more footage of him, that was completely wasted.
- RZA can't act period. He was absolutely painful to watch.
- The first ten minutes or so of the movie were dreadful and made me think we were going to see the first film all over again. Then it gets darker and better.
- Lots of completely unnecessary exposition that is distracting and spoonfeeds you the story.
- The costumes in the first film were great. The costumes in this film are even better (outside of Storm Shadow's Michael Jackson inspired jacket). Snakes Eyes finally looks like Snake Eyes! Cobra Commander looks like a badass. The Joes look more realistic. Great stuff!
- Everything dealing with ninjas, the Arashikage (with RZA being the only exception) and Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was just awesome and worth going to see the film alone. These parts were pure movie magic and childhood dreams come to life.
- Walter Goggins should be in more films. Even though he has a relatively small part, he was awesome.
- Jinx was not nearly as bad as I expected and was the perfect partner for Snake Eyes although there is one odd moment between them I didn't understand.
- Lady Jaye steps squarely into the position of Scarlett from the first film and even has some of Scarlett's attitude. It is a shame that members like Scarlett aren't referenced at all. They just don't seem to exist in this movie.
- I love Bruce Willis, but his character is poorly written and serves very little purpose in the movie. It feels like he wanted to be in a GI Joe movie, so they just crammed a character into the story line for him.
- Thankfully, there is no painful love story in this movie. There is a glimpse of a love interest, but they didn't push it at all, which was really nice.

Overall, the movie was a little disjointed for me and it felt like I was watching scenes written by different people, some good and some not so good. I walked out relatively satisfied but primarily because my favorite character, Storm Shadow, got a lot more screen time than expected, had a character arc, and was handled nearly perfectly (as was Snake Eyes). Outside of that, it was a bit of a mixed bag.

SPOILER:
At the end of the movie, I walked out and realized that in 3 minutes, Cobra managed to accomplish what we hadn't accomplished in decades; the complete nuclear disarmament of the world. While their intentions were not good, can you really call them bad guys since they accomplished this feat with relative ease?

It seems that our outlook and impressions of the Transformers/G.I.Joe movies are very alike, so I appreciate your breakdown of the movie. I really want this one to be good, especially after hearing all the bad news that gets leaked about the 4th Transformers and the new TMNT abomination. Thanks Art !

SPOILER:
At the end of the movie, I walked out and realized that in 3 minutes, Cobra managed to accomplish what we hadn't accomplished in decades; the complete nuclear disarmament of the world. While their intentions were not good, can you really call them bad guys since they accomplished this feat with relative ease?
"The ends justify the means", never works, IMO...:darnkids

We could bomb the countries we, and the world, percieve as evil into oblivion...but it wouldn't make us good.;)

Not that I would complain.

My two biggest complaints were that the stuff with rza was really muddy script-wise and that other than the rock, the other two main joes had very little personality. I was really looking forward to lots of duke in this flick.

Also, what was up with that mission in the beginning?. I never clued into what was going on

Also, what was up with that mission in the beginning?. I never clued into what was going on
The very first mission, they were going in to retrieve a defector.

The second mission, they were going in to retrieve the nuclear warheads that generic bad guys stole.

Get it? Got it? Good. Now you know... and knowing's half the battle! :thumbsup;)

The very first mission, they were going in to retrieve a defector.

The second mission, they were going in to retrieve the nuclear warheads that generic bad guys stole.

Get it? Got it? Good. Now you know... and knowing's half the battle! :thumbsup;)
In the final moment of that scene, the rock saw the Joe flag. Does that mean they were retrieving a defector who was defecting to the joes?

And yes, I am intimidated by game of thrones...

I doubt it, just a North Korean defector who needed help. Flint was trying to be all badass :rolleyes

And Game of Thrones I only know about 6 characters names. And if they're somebodies guard, I have no clue who they are:lol

The first movie was more about the team.
The second movie was more about focusing on the Rock as the main star.

The Snake Eyes parts of the movie easily stole the show for me as an old school Joe fan. :thumbsup

Would have been nice to know how Storm Shadow survived a few stab wounds and the freezing waters in the first movie.

okay, I figgered out what I didn't understand about that first scene.

They were doing a covert extraction in the DMZ. Roadblock was trying to be stealthy about it and flint wasn't. In the end, Flint put up a Joe flag and that's why Roadblock went, "mother******"

ZodAccelaratorSuit_zps52544e1d.jpg

LOL! :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back