Fully articulated 24" tall AT-AT adventure

That pop pin thing seemed like it really helped a lot. I wasn't really sure what it meant by the explanation. A visual always helps.
In 1998I had gotten into doing a lot of stop-motion/claymation, (I was 16 then). My brother and I used action figures, or clay figures we made, all without any type of armature or poles to help keep the figure standing.
That would have helped for sure.
Animation is definitely an art, one I was not so good at.

As part of this upcoming build I have been trying to find as much information as I can on kits used. I have a list of kits but still need to identify which parts were used where. Hopefully as a collective we can put together a map as seen for the MF and X-Wings. This will help everyone, be it those using smaller kits for the smaller models, those wanting to create a studio scale replica and us for reference to make up-scaled replicas.
Heres a basic list of parts so far, just a few, and we know these but I think photos go a long way to help, especially for those who are still in even earlier stages of identifying pieces. Any additions to this will be greatly appreciated.

1/35 Flakvierling. or 1/48 suit Revell kit. I need to identify more parts as some are apparently used on the belly. The guns are used for the cheek guns (no photo yet) The armour plates on the rear. The rectangular pieces on body and feet, 2 other greeblies on the ankles.

The ankle greeblies. Note these are separate pieces on the 1/35 kit. theyre already molded into another part on the 1/48.
View attachment 1466024
View attachment 1466025
View attachment 1466026

The armour plate. Im showing the pic of the 1/48. the 1/35 is slightly different and matches the studio model.
View attachment 1466027
View attachment 1466028

The rectangular greeblies body and feet:
View attachment 1466029
View attachment 1466030
View attachment 1466031

1/24 Airfix Harrier Engines... I haven't included a walker shot... doesn't take much working out.
View attachment 1466032

1/24 Stuka rear gunner window... theyre places upside down and I believe this to be the only Stuka part on the Model.
View attachment 1466033
View attachment 1466034

Further kits apparently used but still need to identify parts. I have copied and compiled these lists from old posts by other members. Quite a lot of time searching went into this information so I feel for the guys who spent time actually scrounging through kits to find the parts.
1/144 Apollo Saturn 5
1/35 Tamiya Sd. Kfz Leichter 222
1/35 Tamiya T34/76
1/35 Tamiya M16 Multiple gun motor carriage
1/35 Tamiya Chieftan Mk.5
1/35 Tamiya Leopard
1/35 Tamiya Matilda
1/35 Tamyia Marder 1A2 Milan
1/700 Tamiya Nelson Battleship
1/12 Tamiya F1 with Ford DFV engine
1/72 Hasegawa Morser Karl
1/700 Tamiya Scharnhorst

1/35 Tamiya flakpanzer Gepard No.3599 has underside parts
Kampfpanzer Leopard No.35064 for vents on the rear.

The chin guns are from an old tooling Tamiya 1/35 Sturmgeschutz III.

ROCO gepard (mini tanks)

1/35 Panther Sd.kfz 171 Aust.A
1/35 Sdkfz 232 (8rad)
1/35 British 25PDR Field gun
1/35 Churchill Crocodrile

And some interesting information regarding the studio model shown on the Modelers magic website
This has been an annoyance for me trying to work out where it is seen, the site states it being the studio model MR used when building their replica (they definitely copied the paint scheme). This has a few discrepancies and I thought may have been background use.

In the film there were the 3 hero's, the large walker and seemingly 2 smaller models.
The walkers in the background were photographs or some such.
These Resin copies were apparently made as executive gifts, 5 in total, one supposedly was a prize in a competition. So this never saw any screen time.

Cheers,
Josh
This is an awesome start Starks! Thank you for all the work compiling this. I know what a time sucker such searches can be.
Looking forward to what can be added to this by anyone with insights and willingness to share. This might introduce a little scope creep to the project but printable reproductions of all the kit parts would be a cool STL file library to go with a mapping. They could be scaled to whatever size someone needed for a particular build.

This is an awesome start Starks! Thank you for all the work compiling this. I know what a time sucker such searches can be.
Looking forward to what can be added to this by anyone with insights and willingness to share. This might introduce a little scope creep to the project but printable reproductions of all the kit parts would be a cool STL file library to go with a mapping. They could be scaled to whatever size someone needed for a particular build.

I would like to see that happen also. Imagine being able to purchase and STL or pre printed greeblie kit for the AT-AT. Then you're set with just making the body/ legs etc.

Cheers,
Josh

Ok my fellow At-AT fanatics, a little bit of research to share tonight on leg angles and ranges of motion. Found a capture of a rear leg position at just after full extension. Measured the angle from the hip at horizontal and found it to be 34 degrees. Made an adjustment in the line to simulate what I estimated would be full extension and found the adjusted angle to be 36 degrees. Compensating for the perspective of the shot that narrows the angle, if flattened out it would add about 1 to 2 degrees. Thus making the the full angle of motion about 37 to 38 degrees.

Foot angle 2.jpg

Compared my current layout range of motion and the max angle of rotation before the motion limiters kick in is 37.59 degrees.
Notice that the hip flywheel is precisely where it should be with the horizontal hip line crossing just over the highest corner. Matches the picture above pretty darn close.

Leg Angle tS.jpg

I'm satisfied I'm close enough in that direction of motion. It's more precise than an Imperial Storm Trooper.
I don't need to make any further adjustments here.
You don't need to make any further adjustments here. Move along. Move along.

I'll figure out the angles going the other way this coming weekend.

However, this confirmation does complicate the movement of the piston cam and gives more reason to the use of the belt and elastic solution I think was used on the studio models. I think I figured out how it worked. It will be hard to top the simplicity of that solution with a rack and pinion.

Isn't this fun?

Hi! I think it is my first post here. My english is sooo bad that I prefer only to "read". I want to share with you a link with my "studio scale with interiors" AT-AT. It is not finished yet but I have a lot of information about kit parts (lot of nights reviewing kits). It is a link to a spanish modeling forum but you have a lot of pictures of the building process. If you need something please let me know and I will try to do my best with the language :) Hope you like it.

AT-AT 1/48 by Chungo

Best regards!

Hi! I think it is my first post here. My english is sooo bad that I prefer only to "read". I want to share with you a link with my "studio scale with interiors" AT-AT. It is not finished yet but I have a lot of information about kit parts (lot of nights reviewing kits). It is a link to a spanish modeling forum but you have a lot of pictures of the building process. If you need something please let me know and I will try to do my best with the language :) Hope you like it.

AT-AT 1/48 by Chungo

Best regards!
Welcome to this AT-AT adventure Chungov! Wow, your project is very impressive! Fantastic job you are doing on it. You have done a ton of work reviewing kit parts used on the studio model. Anything you want to share here is welcome. Looks like a lot of your work will fit right in with the sub-goal here to make a map of parts and kits they came from.

And don't worry about bad English on this thread. Thank you for contributing!

Ok my fellow At-AT fanatics, a little bit of research to share tonight on leg angles and ranges of motion. Found a capture of a rear leg position at just after full extension. Measured the angle from the hip at horizontal and found it to be 34 degrees. Made an adjustment in the line to simulate what I estimated would be full extension and found the adjusted angle to be 36 degrees. Compensating for the perspective of the shot that narrows the angle, if flattened out it would add about 1 to 2 degrees. Thus making the the full angle of motion about 37 to 38 degrees.

View attachment 1466209

Compared my current layout range of motion and the max angle of rotation before the motion limiters kick in is 37.59 degrees.
Notice that the hip flywheel is precisely where it should be with the horizontal hip line crossing just over the highest corner. Matches the picture above pretty darn close.

View attachment 1466210

I'm satisfied I'm close enough in that direction of motion. It's more precise than an Imperial Storm Trooper.
I don't need to make any further adjustments here.
You don't need to make any further adjustments here. Move along. Move along.

I'll figure out the angles going the other way this coming weekend.

However, this confirmation does complicate the movement of the piston cam and gives more reason to the use of the belt and elastic solution I think was used on the studio models. I think I figured out how it worked. It will be hard to top the simplicity of that solution with a rack and pinion.

Isn't this fun?

Love your work!
And I think it's going to make the final result that much better. A perfected range of motion. Much better than my overlayed and cut drawings, they get you close which is nice for a general build, but this has the potential to be quite special.

Watching the walking is a thing of beauty, the hips moving up and down in correlation with the knee lifting and moving the leg foward.
I take it the hip to body will really need extension limiting so there's no guess work in up and down placement.

AT-AT 1/48 by Chungo

Best regards!

This is really well done! I see you listed more kits and as Hagoth said have identified many kit pieces. It's very kind of you to share with us, thank you.
At 1/48 what have you used for scaled down kit parts, the Harrier engines for example, you simply used a smaller scale Harrier model?

Your scratch building skills are quite amazing, lovely work on the interior as well.

Cheers,
Josh

Love your work!
And I think it's going to make the final result that much better. A perfected range of motion. Much better than my overlayed and cut drawings, they get you close which is nice for a general build, but this has the potential to be quite special.

Watching the walking is a thing of beauty, the hips moving up and down in correlation with the knee lifting and moving the leg foward.
I take it the hip to body will really need extension limiting so there's no guess work in up and down placement.

This is really well done! I see you listed more kits and as Hagoth said have identified many kit pieces. It's very kind of you to share with us, thank you.
At 1/48 what have you used for scaled down kit parts, the Harrier engines for example, you simply used a smaller scale Harrier model?

Your scratch building skills are quite amazing, lovely work on the interior as well.

Cheers,
Josh
Nop, I used the same kits as the studio scale. I thought 1/48 is the scale of the studio model but I could be wrong but the kits are the same. In you example I used the 1/24 Harrier from Airfix. Thanks for your kind words.

Nop, I used the same kits as the studio scale. I thought 1/48 is the scale of the studio model but I could be wrong but the kits are the same. In you example I used the 1/24 Harrier from Airfix. Thanks for your kind words.

I think you are right, I thought the studio scale was bigger than 1/48 but on reflection its probably pretty close.
You did well to source many of those kits.

Cheers,
Josh

Yea from my understanding the studio scale stop motion AT-AT models works out to be 1/48 or at least close enough to call it a 1/48 model

Not sure about the scale for the larger ones

Yea from my understanding the studio scale stop motion AT-AT models works out to be 1/48 or at least close enough to call it a 1/48 model

Not sure about the scale for the larger ones
And from quotes and measurements it looks like the 1/48ish models were about 18" tall. The original idea for this project started out as an 18" tall build based on that understanding. Now it's evolved into something 1/3 bigger just for the impressiveness of it. In Starks history post (#18) it states 18 x 20 (typically that is length x height but the walkers are longer than they are tall) and I have seen pictures with a 24" ruler and the top comes to about 18". Does anyone know differently or more accurately?

kg_at-at_-147.jpg

Looks about 18" tall here as well.
Schermafbeelding 2021-05-19 om 18.45.41.png

chungov are you willing to post your list of required kits needed here? It would help a lot of guys out.

And from quotes and measurements it looks like the 1/48ish models were about 18" tall. The original idea for this project started out as an 18" tall build based on that understanding. Now it's evolved into something 1/3 bigger just for the impressiveness of it. In Starks history post (#18) it states 18 x 20 (typically that is length x height but the walkers are longer than they are tall) and I have seen pictures with a 24" ruler and the top comes to about 18". Does anyone know differently or more accurately?

View attachment 1466871

Looks about 18" tall here as well.
View attachment 1466872

I would say 18" is pretty close. You wont be easily able to measure an overall height as that changes depending on hip placement but should be able to put some marker lines across that image with the rule and work out the basic increments per part, body height for example.
Then overlay images and adjust to size.

The great thing about this project will be you can alter the files to suit whatever scale you want anyway.

Cheers,
Josh

chungov are you willing to post your list of required kits needed here? It would help a lot of guys out.

I would say 18" is pretty close. You wont be easily able to measure an overall height as that changes depending on hip placement but should be able to put some marker lines across that image with the rule and work out the basic increments per part, body height for example.
Then overlay images and adjust to size.

The great thing about this project will be you can alter the files to suit whatever scale you want anyway.

Cheers,
Josh
Hi! My kit list for AT-AT is:

- Airfix Saturn V Scale 1/144
- Airfix Centurion Tank 1/72
- Airfix 1/24 Bae Sea Harrier FRS1
- Airfix 1/24 Junkers JU87B-2 Stuka
- Tamiya 1/700 Scharnhorst
- Tamiya 1/700 Battleship Nelson
- Tamiya 1/700 Enterprise
- Tamiya 1/20 Tyrrell 6 Wheeler
- Tamiya 1/35 British army chieftain MK5
- Tamiya 1/35 Kampfpanzer Leopard
- Tamiya 1/35 German 8 Ton Semitrack + 20mm. Flakvierling Sd.kfx 7/1
- Tamiya 1/48 Russian Tanks T34/76
- Tamiya 1/35 Russian Tanks T34/76
- Tamiya 1/35 SDKFZ 223 Leichter Panzerspahwagen
- Tamiya 1/35 Flankpanzer Gepard
- Tamiya 1/35 20mm German Flakvierling 38 MITSd. Ah.52
- Tamiya 1/35 British 25 BPDR Field gun
- Tamiya 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen III M/N
- Tamiya 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen V Ausf.A
- Tamiya 1/35 Motor Carriage M16
- Tamiya 1/35 Schutzenpanzer Marder 1A2
- Tamiya 1/35 US Ligth Tank M5A1
- Tamiya 1/35 Churchill Crocodile
- Fuman/Bandai 1/48 Jagdpanther
- Hasegawa 1/72 Railway Gun Leopold
- Hasegawa 1/72 KARL with Munitionspanzer IV
- ROCO 1/87 Minitank Flankpanzer Gepard
- Tamiya 1/35 M42 Duster
- Tamiya 1/35 M3A2 HalfTrack Personnel Carrier
- Tamiya 1/35 US M577 Armoured Command Post Car
- Tamiya 1/25 SU-100 Tank Destroyer

- Tamiya 1/35 M42 Duster

Thats fantastic!
Thankyou for sharing.

Cheers,
Josh

- Tamiya 1/35 M42 Duster
This list is a massive step forward. Thank you Chungov for sharing!
I have never built any of them. Next step is what parts out of each kit were used and where on the AT-AT. There is a treasure trove of pictures on your build thread but I don't know what kit all the parts shown came from. Maybe I have missed that info and need to go back and take another look at the postings.

It has not escaped me that in the case of the round blisters on the AT-AT ankles that came from the 1/24 Stuka it would require 8 of those kits for just that detail. Wow. And on the other side framing the hydraulic piston connection there are two parts from the Flakvierling kit requiring 4 kits?

That list is extensive but just the tip of the iceburg for what you actually would need to buy. Makes a 3D printed library of scalable parts all the more attractive.

starks with what Chungov has shared and the list you started above we should all be able to make a very good start on a mapping. Any thoughts on the best way to start laying out the information we have so far? I'm thinking of starting to make a graphical map of it in Corel in the coming weeks.

This is going to be huge! :p

starks with what Chungov has shared and the list you started above we should all be able to make a very good start on a mapping. Any thoughts on the best way to start laying out the information we have so far? I'm thinking of starting to make a graphical map of it in Corel in the coming weeks.

This is going to be huge! :p
Im quite sure all the kits I posted are on Chungov's list. Im pretty sure he said that's 90% of them so maybe more yet to identify?

A graphical map will be ultimately the way to go, like they did with the Xwing perhaps with maps showing coloured greeblies and references to what those pieces are. You need the kits or atleast images of the sprues to identify everything though.

As for purchase of kits I imagine you buy one Stuka and mold yourself 8 windows. Better investing in rubber and resin then buying multiples of kits.

On the subject I see airfix still make the Apollo Saturn V however cited upgraded parts. Is this kit still close enough for the belly pieces?
Printer first, but Im considering buying kits slowly anyway. Need to find someone local with a 3d scanner.

Cheers
Josh

Cheers,
Josh

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back