Fullsize Alien Warrior Build (Xenomorph)

i'll post one last picture of the drawing when it's done... but for now you get the idea... I started shading but it has a long way to go... this weekend I am back on Alien building duty.

Attachments

• alien shade.jpg
    alien shade.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Looking good! I'm curious, what was your thought process behind starting the shading with part of the background, and also starting the xenomorph where you did?

Looking good! I'm curious, what was your thought process behind starting the shading with part of the background, and also starting the xenomorph where you did?
no thought process really... just doing my favorite parts first.. even those aren't finished I will keep going over them until I am happy or sick of it.. whichever comes first...lol

no thought process really... just doing my favorite parts first.. even those aren't finished I will keep going over them until I am happy or sick of it.. whichever comes first...lol
-So then, logically speaking, your favorite part of the xenomorph drawing was a background column with dryer vent tubing. ;)

I was just asking because different people have different preferences when starting based on how they will reference those areas later on. I tend to start with highlights in one or two key sections, then jump to the darkest shadows, then figure out midtones. Others prefer to set mids, work to shadows, then do highlights last.

-So then, logically speaking, your favorite part of the xenomorph drawing was a background column with dryer vent tubing. ;)

I was just asking because different people have different preferences when starting based on how they will reference those areas later on. I tend to start with highlights in one or two key sections, then jump to the darkest shadows, then figure out midtones. Others prefer to set mids, work to shadows, then do highlights last.
that is WAY more thought than I put into this... I just feel it out as I go along... and yes I do like the column, I actually plan to build a few of those one day. :)

So high build then? That's what I was using for a similar reason on a similar thing yesterday. U-Pol to be specific, had some from a past project. I can't say as I've tried a lot of others, but I really like U-Pol's products. 10-year-old can with a warm water bath and aggressive shaking came back to life and sprayed out great. And there seems to be a lot more coverage that I expect for the size of the can, at least compared to art brands and Rustoleum.

The brand was just boring ole rustoleum... there is a lowes right down the street. When I paint it I will get fancier and buy an airbrush and compressor. I'll start getting better paints and so on.

These don't deserve their own thread so I am shamelessly bumping my thread... as I mentioned in another thread I am collecting digital cinema cameras for display... I would like 35mm film cameras of course but since I am not rich I will settle for digital.. :)

I am buying pedestals to display them but they are not here yet. So far I have a Sony F3 and F5, plus an EX3 and FX1.. might look into non sony cameras as well but prices get high quickly.

Attachments

• camera display1.jpg
    camera display1.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 68
  • camera display2.jpg
    camera display2.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 70
been kinda busy during the holidays... but I am working on the arm it's just slow going... nothing really picture worthy..

again these are going to look like the puppet arms not the stunt suits...

pic of my arm, the Stan Winston puppet arms, and as a bonus... the pedestals for the cameras came in..

Attachments

• d750b164bbe613964024750610c360c3.jpg
    d750b164bbe613964024750610c360c3.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC05534.JPG
    DSC05534.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 117
  • cam display1.jpg
    cam display1.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 118
  • cam display2.jpg
    cam display2.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 112
Did you know it's kinda big? Because it's kinda big ;) Teasing aside, it's looking really good!

Maybe I missed it earlier, what did you use to make the teeth?
thank you sir... it's going to look even bigger when it's hanging from the ceiling with it's full diorama to go with it.. :)

I used friendly plastic for the teeth but I am not really happy with it... it does NOT like sanding at all. I probably should have just used apoxie clay...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back