Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

Wow - I was at Anchor Supplies only 5 weeks ago - i didn't see any engines though :(

If you need any UK help - let me know

Laz

Whoa. Go there now.

As the Gloster Meteors have been in use in my country (not UK), I am trying to get in contact with someone who helped a museum get a plane in their collection.
I am sure that he would like to talk and brag about how he acquired the plane for the museum, which is what I am encouraging him to do. Hopefully that will give me some leads.

Inquiries have been made (or will be shortly) to all the scrapyards mentioned.
Kurtyboy is in the area so I asked him to do it.
He has also contacted several UK museums except Duxford (which is the one I've been working on).

Originally posted by laszlo@Oct 4 2005, 07:11 AM
Wow - I was at Anchor Supplies only 5 weeks ago - i didn't see any engines though :(
If you need any UK help - let me know
Laz
[snapback]1089411[/snapback]​

I've been there, too. Several years ago, mind. Staff were a bit snotty, I thought.
Never thought I'd see it online, and I double-never thought I'd see a pic of it via a US props website.
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

For those considering contact to RR, why are you stressing about whether or not to mention Star Wars?

WHY you need information is not directly their business.

Just let them know what you need -- clear photos, diagrams, or better yet, access to the part.

If they ask WHY, then worry about it...

Unfortunatelly were a little too late.

Williams sold all the Derwents a few years ago. I never thought to ask who they had sold them to but that's maybe not a bad idea.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Oct 4 2005, 02:39 PM
For those considering contact to RR, why are you stressing about whether or not to mention Star Wars?

Just let them know what you need -- clear photos, diagrams, or better yet, access to the part.

[snapback]1089510[/snapback]​

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Oct 4 2005, 06:39 AM

[snapback]1089510[/snapback]​

With regard to contacting them it's less an issue, but with many people it is bound to come up, or letting it come up gains trust as Gabe pointed out.

Originally posted by kurtyboy@Oct 4 2005, 03:13 PM
Unfortunatelly were a little too late.

Williams sold all the Derwents a few years ago. I never thought to ask who they had sold them to but that's maybe not a bad idea.

[snapback]1089530[/snapback]​

Damn, alright, just a small setback, we're not beat yet. I'm sure we've still got plenty of feelers out there.

-Fred

They have a Derwent right now at Anchor Supplies Nottingham depot.

They've offered to sell it to me in the region of £5,000. Its complete as far as they know and was used as a runway de-icer.

So, someone in the Nottingham area get down there with your cheque book.

Hmmm,

9 Grand US for 9 IG-88 heads and 18 Obi-Emitters...

I hate to say this, but after seeing what just an original era sink knob could sell for, this isn't too bad of a deal... :)

The only trick is that we don't know which burner can would be in this engine and no one has 100% locked down the emitter yet.

-Gary

OK, that's only $8,800.00 US. Assuming there are 18 obi emitters and 9 IG88 heads for a total of 27 parts, that's only $325 per part. Unless we know the gear is in there, and depending on how many, the price goes down a hair. Unless we determine that one part is more expensive than the other (i.e. I want the emitter, but couldn't care less about the head, and I'm sure others feel the opposite way) the price will swing accordingly.

damn, I could probably justify like $250 for an emitter, and I'm poor :lol.

Ok, maybe a little more if necessary, but not much more.

-Fred

9 emitters. Only one side has the size we're after, see my prior post about engineer's comments.

I'm ready to be part of a consortium on this, BUT there is a chance the engine we want is the 9, and we'd have to confirm that this has the right IG88 head.

But surely an IG88's worth a grand? :)

Originally posted by Serafino@Oct 4 2005, 12:29 PM
9 emitters.  Only one side has the size we're after, see my prior post about engineer's comments.

I'm ready to be part of a consortium on this, BUT there is a chance the engine we want is the 9, and we'd have to confirm that this has the right IG88 head.
[snapback]1089571[/snapback]​

Aye, to a point, me too.

KD

I checked my supply of engine parts and came up empty. All of my parts are for newer engines. A friend of mine in Florida deals in military surplus so I sent him a picture of the engine and asked him to check into it. Since I collect aircraft parts it is not that unusual. He emailed me back and said a friend of his has an engine for sale that looks very similar but he would have to check with him on the make, model and price. It may be an American made copy, an Allison J-33-A35 or a Russian KV-1 though. I am hoping he may have a spare combustion chamber for whatever model engine it is he could send so I can disassemble it and see if the parts are what we need before proceeding. I will let you know more soon I hope.

-MM

edited to correct spelling and model #'s

I'd be in for both and IG Head and an Obi Emitter...

HOWEVER...

We need to confirm that this engine has the proper Combustion Chamber AND has the emitter.

Who wants the airvent for a Lars Landspeeder? :)

I'd imagine that everything else could be sold back or left at the surplus for scrap. Perhaps that would cut the cost down a little as well?

-Gary

So we need someone in the Nottingham area of the UK to get down there and examine it.

Remember we'd have to buy the whole engine, they won't split it into parts.

But I doub't we'd know for sure if the obi emitter is in there without taking it apart which would not be possible without buying it.

I had hoped these things would sell for scrap metal value :(

From Wikipedia:

"Although many Gloster Meteors survive in Museums and collections only five remain airworthy, four in the United Kingdom and a F8 fighter which was exported to Australia in 2002."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor

Questions:
How do the propietors of these five aircraft KEEP them airworthy?

When their Derwents go kaput, where do they go to get them running again?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back