Found Item Buckaroo Bonzai Overthruster Case

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Cameron, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Cameron

Cameron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Ford W Maverick

Ford W Maverick Well-Known Member

That does look very similar. You may have found it. I thought it looked like the case from a set of night vision goggles till I saw that.

3. tictoc

tictoc Well-Known Member

Nice find John Big-Booty...

4. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

It's BootAY!.........BooTAY!!!!! lol. Now I wanna watch it * you guys. Whos gonna build the truck from an old Ford?

5. Cameron

Im watching it tonight after the Oscars. I am going to try and order one of these and trick it out like the movie case. If I manage to score one I will show some progress pics. Remember; no matter where you go, there you are.

6. Lurksmith

Lurksmith Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like the same "family" of cases, but it's not exact. The one in the screenshot has a plastic lip of some kind, suggesting that the lid is inset a small amount when closed. The one you linked looks like the lid overlaps the main body when it closes, and the main body narrows at the top to accomodate it. If you added the plastic lip from the screenshot to the found one, I don't think it would be able to close.

But like I said, it looks like the the same type, which may help in sourcing a vintage one.

7. Cameron

Lurk, If you read the item description it says that "An O-ring gasket provides additional environmental protection." Thats what that "Lip" is and its available as an add on. I agree it may be a vintage version of this case but they may have kept the design the same for all these years.

8. Cameron

Lurk, Let me correct what I just said..lol Yes I agree that the lip could not be on this case...sigh

9. Lurksmith

Not so fast. Checking out their site, it appears that each pic is just a representative model. The 7000 series has almost the exact lip from the screen shot, and the PDF catalog lists other sizes for that model. There's no pictures, but I bet you could get a 7000 in the same size as the picture of the 800. Anyone with an Overthruster able to ballpark the case measurements?

10. Cameron

Yup. "All cases feature fully gasketed, bonded closures which fit over the edge of the lower shell."

Looks like the 7000 might be it if the size matches.

11. Cameron

The company was around at the time of filming. In fact its been making cases since the 50's.

12. Lurksmith

Okay, now I'm fixated and can't get the "deedledee deedledee" overthruster tones out of my head. Yeah, poking around Google this site has pics of the 7000 model cases open, but still using an incorrect (larger) stock image. The way the clasps overlap the lip is the same as the screenshot, though. Hard to tell from the angle, but I'm thinking it might be the smallest one, the 4x7x4.16 size? Seems to be the right ratio. The overthruster is actually smaller than I remembered.
    [​IMG]

The $100+ price tag is steep for an experiment. I'd want to be pretty confident of that.

13. Cameron

Hmm...7 seems to wide to me. Compare the space between the locks in both pics.

14. Cameron

Oh Wait a sec....thats not the 4X7 in the web site pic...doh..Maybe I need more coffee. If we can get some quick measurements of an OO and its close i lay out the clams for 1.

15. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The handle on top is off though if it's the same as the one as the other cases. It's more of a utilitarian floppy "lunch box" style folding hanldle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some caps of the case for reference-

16. Cameron

Thanks for those Nick!

17. nick daring

No problem. I'm working on an overthruster and would LOVE to figure out a case without having to build one from scratch.

Nick

18. Cameron

View attachment 85369
    Heres the pic that got me started on finding this company. Its a Camera Driver and the case is by Zero. Different handle for sure but it seems the same in every way other than that and color. I am wondering if that handle style is an old version.

19. Lurksmith

Makes sense they would update that handle. Loud and clunky for something marketed as an instrument case. Looks like it's still the same clasp hardware though, and they may have kept a standard case size. If so, and judging by the way Weller has a gloved hand around it in that first screenshot, I still think the 4x7 has the likely ratio. Hard to be 100% sure though.

20. nick daring

Yeah those latches and hinges look spot on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Cameron

Yup. That settles it for me. It's a Zero case. Now the question is, what size model year. I am thinking because of the green it was a military contract and ended up a surplus item. I am going to order one up.

22. nick daring

Found the specs on the latch-

[​IMG]

23. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

This is one replica i would really love to have, just doing all the text dressing would be great, letraset heaven. It would be fantastic if the cases were gettable and a full on overthruster replica became available through your thread, great work.

If you have the overthruster and case then Buckaroos briefcase is a must. Have found a very close one with the same lock but some obvious differences. Was hopeing it had a brand name but doesnt, still looking.

View attachment 85815 View attachment 85816 View attachment 85817 View attachment 85818

24. nick daring

I never even thought to look for the briefcase! Too cool!

Nick

25. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

From looking at the behind the scenes "Declassified" short, only the screen used overthruster remains, the case and the briefcase the director holds arent the same as the heros. Would be great to see some other pics of the overthruster case, lots of graphics around it by the looks.

26. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I think you nailed it! Definitely the same family cases. Please post if you find the exact model, I'd like to get a case for mine too!!!

Cameron likes this.
  27. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I went ahead and ordered one of the 4x7x4.16 boxes. It won't ship until the 15th but I'm looking forward to seeing it. I have an older casting of the overthruster offered here last year as well as one of Morgan13's.

Is anyone working on the graphics for inside / outside of the box?

Ted.

28. Cameron

Hey Ted,
    You beat me to it on the ordering. Do you mind some feedback on size ans shape when you get it?
    Thanks

29. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

You can still get the same Letraset needed from the company to do the job. Would love to see some better pics, then can make a start on the other graphics.

30. nick daring

Those screens grabs I posted are the best stills from the movie sadly.

The only way to get anything better would be the same stills from a Blu Ray source.

Nick

Cameron likes this.
  31. exetor999

exetor999 Member

There used to be a company out here in the OC (california) that had the original screen used overthruster. They went out of business about 2000, and they were called "Super Collector". Don't know what happened to them, wish that I had taken a bunch of pictures before they closed. They had a "Batman Returns" suit, but just the chest section, no pants, no mask or cape, but they only wanted 250.00 for it. Came back in 3 days and it was gone. :(

32. Cameron

Mr Webber, what ones do you have a lead on. The Asian writing?

33. Prefect42

Cameron and all,

I will post pictures and comments when the box arrives. It won't ship to me until the 15th so it will be a few days. But I will post pictures with it and both of my overthrusters for size comparison.

Mr Webber. Thanks for the tips on the letraset. I guess if the screen grabs offered are the best pictures available, it might end up being a 'best guess' situation.

And a HUGE THANKS to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've wanted this prop since the movie came out.

Ted.

34. Cameron

:thumbsup

35. nick daring

A bunch of the lettering on the outside is Japanese writing, while very cool, it makes the guessing game even more difficult.

Nick

Prefect42 likes this.
  36. Prefect42

Nick Daring,

Those screen grabs are a BIG help.

For the english, top to bottom, it looks to me like:

HB (In yellow and made with DYMO tape)

The following in LETRASET
    CHARGE
    TRANSMOG??
    HOLD
    DATA LOG

OVERTHRUSTER
    CHARGE UNIT

Does anyone else see something different?

Also, in the screen grabs in posts #12 & #20, there is a sticker on the side of the box. Printed on thick, clear plastic, it seems to be some odd symbol in black. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what it might be?

Cameron likes this.
  37. Prefect42

I just found a cool site on the web which translates english into japanese. I'm tempted to make up a few labels and print them out unless someone has luck with translating what we can see from the screen grabs.

Translate English To Japanese

Just for giggles and to see how it worked I typed in:

Caution: Severe electric shock if operated unsafely. See Banzai Institute Overthruster Technical Manual. Work in harmony.

and got

注意: 厳しい安全運航と感電します。バンザイ研究所 Overthruster 技術マニュアルを参照してください。調和を動作します。

38. nick daring

Here's an enhanced view of the top case sticker. You can almost make some words.

[​IMG]

39. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Thats an awesome and frustrating blow up Nick, i just thought it was some red gaffa tape, I can make out ELECTROCUTION and what looks like more kanji.

Dont have any leads Cameron, in the same boat as you guys, glad to help in any way i can though, love this movie.

Great work with the translation stuff Ted.

Heres some pics of all the graphics and text, i think.

View attachment 86269 View attachment 86270 View attachment 86271 View attachment 86272 View attachment 86273 View attachment 86274

At first i thought the symbol on the side of the case was a version of this but not so sure now.

View attachment 86275

If i can find some yellow Dyno tape and we can reach a concensus on what to put in the other bits of Dyno tape, would be glad to make them up and mail them out.

Can you print on clear contact paper? Would solve a problem.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  40. nick daring

Clear printable sticker paper is easy to find these days.

A variation on the BB/88 symbol would be my fallback for that round sticker graphic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick

41. Prefect42

According to a (very long) article at Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension the yellow dymo tape at the top / inside of the box has "HB" for "Hikita / Banzai".

I'm still trying to figure out the japanese writings. But this might help with Mr Webber's very generous offer to create the DYMO label.

Ted.

42. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

It seems the other two strips of yellow Dyno on the case will remain unknown unless some non production stills turn up, dont think HD would even reveal the text.

Instead of just coming up something for the text, it would be cool to find a Kanji Dyno wheel insert and do it that way. Any fans based in Japan might be able to help with this, will start looking though. Man, if i spent as much time looking for good investments etc as i do looking for prop stuff, id only be posting in the screen used section by now. :confused

View attachment 86336

43. Cameron

44. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Brilliant::lol

EDIT : Found the correct vintage colour and just as important, the correct size tape, 12mm
    Any suggestions as what to put on them? For those who want the real thing let me know
    otherwise will put a scan up when i get them.

Cameron likes this.
  45. Cameron

Im in for da real deal!

46. Prefect42

I've asked for help with translating the Japanese characters. RPF member SPY007 has forwarded one of the screen grabs to a friend who speaks Japanese. Hopefully we will have information about what they say soon.

And Mr Webber, I'd love to be in on the Dymo tape 'real deal' if / when you offer it.

Ted.

47. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Count me in as well!
    I spent a bit yesterday searching for Japanese Warning or Electrocution labels, but nothing real close to the box label.

48. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

No problem guys.

It was only a suggestion as a fill in but i think the screen used yellow tape MAY have kanji lettering, any thoughts? Have tried to find a kanji Dymo insert wheel but drawn a blank.

View attachment 86483

Heres a couple of things while we wait for the cases, I love the DefCon box, the case looks to have similar clips to the OT case and the digital display is the same one used in the Blade Runner Spinners.

View attachment 86484 View attachment 86485 View attachment 86486

How come no ones made this before?

View attachment 86487

Remember, Lithium is no longer available on credit.

49. nick daring

The Overthruster monitoring device is pretty cool too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick

50. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Very cool. So many great props.
    Much better option than the DefCon case, much easier to make and would be a great display fully prac, could run it in a loop. Would like to know the origins of that readout panel.