Finishing a Mandalorian Helmet

Hey there. This is my second time round finishing a Mando bucket and I figured I would document some of my builds and projects moving forward. This one is for a mate of mine.

This particular design was by MinuteFett who has since sold his moulds (to who, I am not sure). It's fiberglass and one of the best mando moulds in my opinion. I have another favourite who I will give a shout out to and thats MiGranStudio on Etsy. I dont have any affiliation with those makers btw, its just my own unbiased opinion .

I am no expert but happy to answer any questions. Hopefully this might help anyone wanting to take on one of these projects themselves one day. This is the way.

Last edited:
Step 1:

Using a dremmel I cut out the visor and refined the edges near the ears. I then used the sanding drum attachment to soften the edges.

20200601_113320.jpg

Last edited:
Quick couple updates.

Step 2:

Put down my first layer of black. This one is a paint and primer combo. It was pretty cold and a bit misty.

20200602_104834.jpg

Last edited:
Step 5:

For the chrome layer I am using AK Interactive Xtreme Metal. I cannot get Alumaluster in Australia but you can use any quality chrome paint if you use it correctly. I chose this particular one because it is enamel based. Shot through a 0.4 nozzel airbrush.

20200604_165928.jpg

With the black gloss base it really comes down to feel as to how much of the chrome you want to apply. Its obviously a darker chrome in the tv series so I have to take quick breaks in between coats because your eyes can get used to just wanting to add more and more. Taking short breaks just resets my brain.

20200604_114647.jpg 20200604_112650.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back