Finished 2015 Mag conversion - *New* progress pics, page 3

Re: Another Mag conversion

you wouldnt mind posting a few detailed pics of the process of the toe correction would you?

Not at all, nothing hidden from this side! There was actually a picture above of the toe correction but it looks like imageshack is playing up a bit. When I'm on a pc next I'll upload you them for sure.

Well, I made massive progress tonight. All the el sections measured and cut out perfectly. I have the straps cutout also, just need to glue them and put the el tape in there, as well as the sole el. All the wiring on one shoe is complete and I should hopefully have one shoe done within a week.

Word of advice, for anyone following this, prepare yourself for the sole section. You have to use a blade to slice it open (watch your fingers!) and then scrape the sole rubber off the yellow/clear rubber and it's a complete ***** of a job. I can only describe the pain in your wrists as those times when you were younger and aggressively tossed off until you couldn't no more..

Well, I said it would be a week for the first shoe but sod it, the mrs was out and about most of the weekend so I got to work. First shoe complete. All linked off one switch with el for soles and strap. Hard but rewarding work and 9v bat has lasted 4hours already. Good thing about these is you can carry spare batteries with you and when they run out you're good to go with a quick battery swap.

Has some tips and hopefully answers a few questions that I received via pm.

Video says it all, enjoy!

Left shoe complete! - YouTube

Great work Luke! Love seeing videos of other peoples shoes :thumbsup

Cheers. Something cool to do over Christmas. Wear test complete, works a treat and all wires nicely cable tied into the sole and pretty much flat. Two insoles to make them comfy and all wires taped with silver tape so doesn't look too bad. Can't be bothered putting all the wires inside the fabric, too much hassle. Pics coming tonight.

Sod it, got a lunch hour so thought i'd upload a few pics.

photo4fr.jpg

photo3dk.jpg

photo2jn.jpg

photo1kde.jpg

Well done Luke! And just too think that only about a month ago you were asking about my shoes on Yourprops. You are the exact type of member that I hope joins the RPF. You jump in with both feet (no pun intended) and get to work.

Top work mate.

Well done Luke! And just too think that only about a month ago you were asking about my shoes on Yourprops. You are the exact type of member that I hope joins the RPF. You jump in with both feet (no pun intended) and get to work.

Top work mate.

Cheers Brad, much appreciated feedback. I always like to give back to communities in some form and not just leech everything. Very hard but rewarding work!

I reckon I could do another pair in a few days now with all the measurements documented for everything. I'm going to have a bit of a break this week and get the 2nd shoe done next week maybe.

To the multiple people wanting to buy them via pm, I'm sorry but I don't have different sizes and I'm not planning on selling them. Firstly, I don't really have the time to do more and secondly, I don't want to get on the wrong side of Nike ;-)

I added the velcro strips last night to the shoe btw, the strap is more sturdy now and holds in place at the front nicely. I also superglued the white strap holder to the back of the shoe so it holds on when taking them off.

Re: Another Mag conversion *Complete!*

Great work!!! Another McFly converted!! Nice work with the EL :)

Thanks S02. You busy with your conversions now then?

Oh, btw Brad I've heard nothing back about the clear rubber. Sounds like its expensive as hell and/or not achievable :-(

Last edited:

First of all, Happy Christmas to you all for tomorrow. Good luck getting all the expensive props from family and friends!

Secondly, for those following this thread with interest, here's the update you have been waiting for..

I hope you're sitting down ladies and gentlemen...cos this right here, is the finest footwear that I have ever created. Let me introduce to you.....some bloody hard work, but a satisfying project! :cool

img1719v.jpg

img1709ly.jpg

img1711tn.jpg

img1713m.jpg

img1720kk.jpg

img1722aie.jpg

...and here's a quick video of the shoes in action!

Nike Mags - YouTube

They look great Luke! Congrats! Merry Xmas to you also. You should have my gif to you in about a week.

Cheers!

looks cool mate..
a guy at work made some amazing hoverboard pics by using a skateboard and then photoshopped the wheels out lol.
you couldnt even tell haha..
just an idea for you :)

Looks fantastic especially your el soles they are spot on in size to the movie.Great Work :)

Looks fantastic especially your el soles they are spot on in size to the movie.Great Work :)

Thanks for the compliments, means a lot coming from one of the originators of these Mag conversions. We couldn't have done it without you're initial ideas, cheers!

I never got around to uploading the 'In Progress' pics when I was doing this project so thought i'd share a few for those trying to convert a pair themselves. Warning, some pics are in the early stages and look messy :lol

Placing the Nike logos on the cuttable EL sheet:

img1638xf.jpg

Cut out and lit up:

img1640o.jpg

Used logos to measure cutout section on straps:

img1630m.jpg

img1631y.jpg

Make sure you tape around the logo or it will shine through your leather strap :facepalm

img1651s.jpg

Voila:

img1653qu.jpg

Testing sole EL. Ensure that you tape the middle up:

img1648xp.jpg

Testing the whole circuit before gluing back together:

img1649yl.jpg

Measuring up before gluing inside the sole and making holes for wires to run through sole for security:

img1705y.jpg

Sole EL glued in:

img1706tx.jpg

img1650wa.jpg

One last check!:

img1704m.jpg

img1655j.jpg

Final shoe:

img1893kg.jpg

p.s. Here's the sole EL measurements that in my opinion are spot on in size:
img1637j.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back