Finished 2015 Mag conversion - *New* progress pics, page 3

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by lukebrynycz, Nov 24, 2011.

1. lukebrynycz

lukebrynycz Well-Known Member

Well, here goes my spare time over Christmas!

I decided to replace the god awful crumbly 'leather' strap. I'd like to point out that this is the only mismanufactured part of Marks shoes and that on the whole, they are very accurate and well designed, especially considering that they were made a long time before the 'original'.

There's lots of fabric/textile stores around Leeds/Bradford (guys who live here will know!) so had a quick look around, and soon found some perfect excellent quality white leather.

Disclaimer: This shoe is purely for myself, and is no way a copy of the recent Nike release. Its quality won't be a patch on their work, but i'd like a wearable shoe for my favourite trilogy of all time and unfortunately, i'm not rich!

Soooooooo. first step of a long process:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have designed them so that on both sides they will feed on the inside and be hidden for a clean look. They are also folder over top and bottom and fabric glued on the back to be neat and be a bit tougher.

Next step: Elastic laces and recovering the shiny silver lycra with a matte silver lycra. Laces under will give correct effect.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. notorriaz

notorriaz New Member

Re: Another Mag conversion

Hey dude, sound job so far. Looking forward to seing your progress. I'm just getting started on my conversion too. Would be interested to see the fabric you're looking to recover in.

Also, have seen your comments on another thread and agree that find a place that sell the right EL panels in the UK is proving impossible. Did you order yours from the US in the end?

3. lukebrynycz

Cheers :thumbsup

I'm actually now thinking of getting rid of the shine on the lycra by using some fabric dye OR white vinegar and a toothbrush. The material is actually really nice to wear and the shape is pretty accurate. If that fails, I'll simply recover with a matte silver/grey lycra instead as it molds well.

As for the EL strips, all UK suppliers bang on about how you can't cut it yourself blah blah, they have to cut it and add expense etc. It sounds like the tape light we have here only has 2 contacts installed, hence them not allowing customers to cut them. Brad kindly pointed me to a fully cutable EL sheet that has multiple contacts running along so that you can cut it yourself. Here's the one he and I have ordered:

E-Luminates

I'm just wanting 2 tiny 9v inverters but again, nowhere in the UK will entertain me as I'm wanting to use them with other peoples EL tape and they won't condone or even sell me them for this purpose. Their loss, no wonder the UK economy has fallen over :rolleyes

4. lukebrynycz

Ok, got the EL sheet ordered from eBay today. A5 cuttable sheet should do the trick for both soles and strap light. Hopefully will arrive in a week or two.

Nobody in the UK sells the cuttable sheets yet, you US guys are ahead of us on this one (and China!) so unfortunately going to have to wait for the cuttable stuff.

5. notorriaz

notorriaz New Member

Defo agree, US and Asia have a lot more available. Been to the usual Maplins and the like but cant find much! Do you mind posting/messaging the link of the EL panel you ordered?

6. lukebrynycz

lol, the guy in Maplins looked at me funny and said "we don't have that in the UK really" and was even more confused when I said that you can cut it. Even lightape.co.uks Mike (one of our main el sellers in the UK) said that to cut it you need a special tool and only they can do it for a fee etc.

Here's the one that I bought. As you can see, it's classed as blue but it's clearly a blue-green-turqoiuse which is perfect:

EL Panel Sheet Pad Back Light Display Backlight DIY cut | eBay

I calculated that the soles will be 1.5" height x 5.5" length, and the straps will be around 1" heigh x 2.5" length. I measured an A5 sheet and there will be plenty of space on one sheet for all 4 bits, just be careful.

7. notorriaz

notorriaz New Member

Nice one mate. Yeah same, I went into Maplins and on hearing the word 'mini portable Invertor' the guy kindly showed me towards something that was about the size of my PS3! Cheers! haha

Now to start creating the ditch inside the sole to store the battery/invertor. :confused

Thanks for your help dude.

8. lukebrynycz

Lol, our mini inverters are huge, you'de need to be doing a welly not a shoe.

No worries lad, it's what forums like this should be about, I'm not one to hide stuff. If you're ever over Leeds way bring your finished shoes ;-) grab a pint and be nerds with Mags hah

9. lukebrynycz

Ok, so i've found a few fabric places in the UK that sell the fabric for this. I've decided to go for lycra again as it's easier to stretch around the shoe. This one is a matte finish! I'm simply going to cover Marks shoe to get rid of the shine and add some elastic underneath. Should be a little darker and not quite as blingy :lol

Fabric should be with me in the next week. This is gonna be fun! :confused

10. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What I would have liked to have done is taken Marks shoes apart and reform just the toe section and then reglue them back together.

11. lukebrynycz

* Brad, when did you install a webcam in my spare room?! Lol. I was just looking at that earlier and if you bend the sole down so it's flat, it makes such a huuuuuuge difference in making it look like a trainer and not a workmans boot. I'm planning on doing just that when I wrap the shoe in a darker matte grey fabric.

If I can pull this off it wil still be fully wearable and be even more sturdy on the upper too as there will be another layer of fabric. It then gives me the perfect opportunity to add the elastic underneath too, I'll simply glue it very neatly over the shiny silver fabric.

One step at a time, once I'm happy with this I almost have all the parts required to do a full el sole and strap conversion. I'll be sticking with just the 3 LEDs, can't be arsed changing them to 12.

Neat suggestion though, masterminds at work ey ;-)

12. lukebrynycz

Fabric pen for the win, no need to change the fabric now. Pics tomorrow, off to bed and can't be arsed uploading on this * iPhone ;-)

13. lukebrynycz

Well, here goes. This pen was like magic, it colours in lycra and you can rub the ink into the fabric to even the spread, yet you don't even get a trace on your fingers. It has taken most of the shine out of the lycra and given it a darker shade of grey/silver that looks great in real life and is more screen accurate. It saves you having to recover or reconstruct the shoe. :thumbsup I have begun the LED section conversion too marking the holes and popping the clear rubber part out.

I have also played around the toe section to make it look more like a trainer than a steel toe capped boot! I heated up the rubber sole and held it in position for a while to flatten out the bottom so that it didn't curl. I have no problem sharing my research for those interested:

As you can see, a great difference in colour and is more of a matte finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  14. Jedifyfe

Cool!

I love the toe correction. That was a great idea to heat it up and reform it.

Not sure about the fabric pen. It looks good but it doesn't look uniform. Is there a wayt o go over it again and make it more uniform in color?

15. lukebrynycz

Cheers, just need to make a new inner piece to strengthen the toe and make it fully wearable again. It really does make a world of difference.

I haven't done the second layer on the fabric yet so it looks a bit grainy right now. The thing is, I was copying the one from the film so the grey is actually perfect and in real life the slightly blotchy effect looks quite cool actually, although darker than the Nike release. Once the second layer is on it will look like it has been dyed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  16. Jedifyfe

Ummm...aren't those the real NIKE MAG's???

17. lukebrynycz

:lol That made my day.

I couldn't help it, I contacted a guy on the net who had a fair few pairs. He's a top class guy who I've now kept in contact with. He was unfortunately in a bit of financial difficulty so I managed to get a pair at quite a good price..well, I could have bought about 35 pairs of good quality trainers but in comparison, a good deal. :cool

I now know what people mean when they say you can't judge their looks online fully. For real, they are just stunning and pressing that button for the first time makes you feel 10.

I'll still be carrying on with my Mag project though and staying involved in the community and try be useful. Yourself and few others here have really kept me entertained and had something to look forward to over the last few months and I genuinely can't wait to see your final shoe. It's very close to the real deal, can't wait until they are fully done. :thumbsup

18. Jedifyfe

Congrats Luke. I am waiting for that tyoe of situation also. I don't blame you.

When I find that person that will take $2500, then I'll get a pair.

19. lukebrynycz

Decided to finish off the shoe with the pen last night and stick the swoosh on. In real life it looks amazing, almost suede like material now. It looks a bit grainy on photos but looks very good when in hand and the shine has almost all gone. HIGHLY suggest others do this without having the faff of recovering or rebuilding the shoe.

You will need:

Fabrico pen (#181 cool grey)

I would highly recommend using Dave at Welcome : The Treasury

He doesn't have this pen on his website yet, but drop him an email and he'll sort you out!

Next step is to do both white straps (already got one done) to install with the cutouts for the front el logos.

Ignore the missing LED section for now! :rolleyes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  20. S02

S02 Member

Wow congratz on your purchase!!! Love you toe correction its awesome!!

21. lukebrynycz

Quick video of my first electronics step. I decided to install the on/off switch in the white upper section. They are flat Judco switches and fit nicely. I plan on running the wires down the back of the shoe with some thin padding so that it will be a nice organised circuit.

Mag Conversion - Push Button - YouTube

22. lukebrynycz

Got most of the electronics now:

Soldering Iron kit
    Green, Red, Yellow LEDs
    9v batteries
    Insulation tape
    LED holder for the heel caps
    17ohm resisters
    Wiring

Just awaiting the inverter and and el tape, then the fun really begins. :cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Jedifyfe

Cool Luke. It looks like you bought the clear LED's that light up either RED GREEN or YELLOW,right?

You may find that those are SUPER bright and direct focused (meaning the light they emit is not easily seen from angles, only straight on). The real MAG's, that you have, use diffused light LED's which can be seen from various angles.

I look forward to seeing them installed!

Are you going to do EL sheets in the soles?

24. lukebrynycz

Cheers Brad :thumbsup They are clear wide angled lights and when he showed me them in store I was at a 45degree angle and they were very bright so i'm hoping they're ok. If not, they're only 50p each so can easily swap them out.

I most definately am going to use el tape for the soles, it's the bit i'm most looking forward to doing! My test circuit is ok and i've got a plan of how to do the wiring in a very neat and be easily maintainable way.

I'm going to be interlinking the wiring before soldering and taping up and having a bit extra length on each wire so that they have room for flex and should be very secure.

Here's the switch that I used by the way (many thanks for MTB if you're reading buddy :thumbsup)

J987-1: JUDCO MANUFACTURING: Electromechanical

25. Jedifyfe

Cool! I look forward to seeing the LED's installed.

The EL sheet installation in the soles is pretty straight forward and easy.

26. lukebrynycz

Hopefully it will be done over the next week or two, thread might be a bit quiet until I get at least the first shoe done.

I did watch a video of someone playing with cutable el and it looked quite simple, just make sure you have an inverter ahead of it and off you go! The el tape I have ordered has a 2 wire splitter included so can power the logo and sole.

27. thomp

thomp Member

View attachment 77237

I used EL strip in my soles. It's easy to cut and I was able to cut a wave into it to allow it to fit

28. thomp

thomp Member

They look slightly green in the picture but they do have more blue in them

29. Jedifyfe

Very cool! I kinda like the wave look rather than the seperate ovals. I agree that the EL looks more green in photos. Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. S02

S02 Member

nice luke!!! but the mags uses colored LEDs than the clear types.. just a tip... but then again don't you already have the official MAGs for reference.. its way easier for you to check it out!

31. lukebrynycz

Well pointed out guys, but I decided to give these a try with a test circuit as they gave a good spread of light in the electronics store from all angles. As Brad pointed out, they're so bright that you can't see them properly on a camera but trust me, in real life I can go to any angle and they have a nice even bright coverage even with the clear rubber section over them as per my vid below.

LED angles - YouTube

Test circuit - Part 2 - YouTube

32. lukebrynycz

Ok, having got the LEDs in and looking at the shoe, I think it's gonna be too fiddly to hide all the wires inside so I think I'm just gonna sponge tape them to the inside of the shoe one soldered. It will be easier to maintain also, I don't think I can be arsed to open and restitch the fabric.

How/where did others run the wires up to the top el strap? Did you put between the two fabrics and restitch or did you also tape them?

33. lukebrynycz

To all others that have done the light conversion, hats off even more do than before starting this project. Lmao! I have the shoe apart now and have dug out the space for the inverter and battery in the sole, I can see why you guys charge what you do now. Pics on the way!

34. thomp

thomp Member

When input the el in the strap I ran the wire out the back and into a small hole at the top of the boot. The hole is covered by the strap so cannot be seen.

The strap on mine started to crumble away and was looking awful (showing a light brown colour underneath) so I got some whitener that you use to touch up trainers with and they look brand new again

35. lukebrynycz

Cheers for the info Thomp. I have actually got some white leather and have recreated the straps so don't have to worry about the crumbly (so called) leather.

A more interesting update: all LEDs now installed neatly into heel cap. Each LED soldered, super glued, and insultation taped for secure connection for when wearing. Switch also installed in the correct position.

Also completely taken apart the two layers of fabric and removed toe cap. Cut off 1cm all the way around the bottom section and glued back in place, then tightened the lower fabric under the insole to stretch and give a very smooth toe section running down to the sole nicely. Pics tomorrow as on iPhone but it can be seen in video (just).

LED install - Success! - YouTube

36. lukebrynycz

Managed to upload some progress pics -

Judco switch in correct position:

[​IMG]

As you can see, sits nicely on the inside and isn't visible from the outside:

[​IMG]

Tiny 3mm LEDs. Rubber section covers flat/perfectly over the LEDs:

[​IMG]

Messy work! Enough room for the 9v and inverter with a bit of breathing space for the wires. Had to dig carefully so that I didn't go through the sole. Roughly 3mm left on the under so it isn't flimsy andshould last a good while:

[​IMG]

Toe cap correction. Highly recommend to all with this shoe. It sits between a latex type rubber under fabric and the silver lycra. It's a hard plastic and is very easy to cut a good 1cm off the bottom. Once done, it can be put back between the fabrics with some fabric glue (very easy surfaces to glue) and you will need to pull the fabrics further under the insole to create a tight and sleek fit. It was the one area of the shoe (except for the horrible crumbly strap) that make it look like a boot and not a trainer in my opinion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. Jedifyfe

Hey Luke,
    Why did you have to trim the toe? Didn't heat forming it work?

38. lukebrynycz

Hi Brad,

After wear testing the fabric began to loosen up and looked saggy unfortunately. This way is very secure just like Marks original design as it was simply trimmed to be sleek. Toes still fit perfect inside too.

39. Jedifyfe

Ah! Got it. What glue did you use?

40. lukebrynycz

Bostik All Purpose - Extra Strong Clear Adhesive

It's a UK product I believe but I'm sure you'll be able to get it on eBay. Very sticky, but flexible and very strong.

41. nicholasrexutz

nicholasrexutz New Member

you wouldnt mind posting a few detailed pics of the process of the toe correction would you?

42. lukebrynycz

Not at all, nothing hidden from this side! There was actually a picture above of the toe correction but it looks like imageshack is playing up a bit. When I'm on a pc next I'll upload you them for sure.

Well, I made massive progress tonight. All the el sections measured and cut out perfectly. I have the straps cutout also, just need to glue them and put the el tape in there, as well as the sole el. All the wiring on one shoe is complete and I should hopefully have one shoe done within a week.

Word of advice, for anyone following this, prepare yourself for the sole section. You have to use a blade to slice it open (watch your fingers!) and then scrape the sole rubber off the yellow/clear rubber and it's a complete ***** of a job. I can only describe the pain in your wrists as those times when you were younger and aggressively tossed off until you couldn't no more..

43. lukebrynycz

Well, I said it would be a week for the first shoe but sod it, the mrs was out and about most of the weekend so I got to work. First shoe complete. All linked off one switch with el for soles and strap. Hard but rewarding work and 9v bat has lasted 4hours already. Good thing about these is you can carry spare batteries with you and when they run out you're good to go with a quick battery swap.

Has some tips and hopefully answers a few questions that I received via pm.

Video says it all, enjoy!

Left shoe complete! - YouTube

44. Jedifyfe

Great work Luke! Love seeing videos of other peoples shoes :thumbsup

45. lukebrynycz

Cheers. Something cool to do over Christmas. Wear test complete, works a treat and all wires nicely cable tied into the sole and pretty much flat. Two insoles to make them comfy and all wires taped with silver tape so doesn't look too bad. Can't be bothered putting all the wires inside the fabric, too much hassle. Pics coming tonight.

46. lukebrynycz

Sod it, got a lunch hour so thought i'd upload a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. lukebrynycz

48. Jedifyfe

Well done Luke! And just too think that only about a month ago you were asking about my shoes on Yourprops. You are the exact type of member that I hope joins the RPF. You jump in with both feet (no pun intended) and get to work.

Top work mate.

49. S02

S02 Member

Great work!!! Another McFly converted!! Nice work with the EL :)

50. lukebrynycz

Cheers Brad, much appreciated feedback. I always like to give back to communities in some form and not just leech everything. Very hard but rewarding work!

I reckon I could do another pair in a few days now with all the measurements documented for everything. I'm going to have a bit of a break this week and get the 2nd shoe done next week maybe.

To the multiple people wanting to buy them via pm, I'm sorry but I don't have different sizes and I'm not planning on selling them. Firstly, I don't really have the time to do more and secondly, I don't want to get on the wrong side of Nike ;-)

I added the velcro strips last night to the shoe btw, the strap is more sturdy now and holds in place at the front nicely. I also superglued the white strap holder to the back of the shoe so it holds on when taking them off.