Fallout 2 Enclave Advanced Power Armor MkII

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by HighlanderFX, Jul 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HighlanderFX

HighlanderFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thought I would try to make this before November. I've always been partial towards The Enclave (despite them technically being the bad guys) and the design of the power armor in my opinion is incredible and has captured my imagination ever since I first played the game.

Anyways..reference pic I'm working from..

[​IMG]

I'm modelling all the detail parts out and printing them to see if they are the right size and shape. A slow process but everything seems to be pretty close and I'm happy with the results.

[​IMG]

The air filter on the side was a bit of a challenge for me to get right but I like where its at now. I drilled a tiny holy and used a bit of wire to act as a hinge for the latches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope to make more progress on it this week and post by the weekend

GhostMinion likes this.
  2. HighlanderFX

So I have a question for the forum..since there is no reference of the "right" side of the filter..there's a good bit left to the imagination on what it could look like. I have made a small disc from perforated metal and inserted it into the filter. Does this fit with the post nuclear motif? On one hand I really like how it looks but on the other I think it looks too much like a speaker. Maybe some small horizontal vents would look better.

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  3. HighlanderFX

Or something like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GhostMinion likes this.
  4. Stormie

Stormie Well-Known Member

Maybe you can put the mesh underneath the horizontal vents? Incredible work so far!

5. HighlanderFX

Do you mean use a wire mesh or the perforated metal disc I cut out to be put underneath the vents? And thank you!

6. Stormie

Sorry I mean the perforated metal disk to be put underneath the vents.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  7. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I agree. I think if you put something under the perforated disk it would suggest a depth like filtering material. I'm more interested in if your head can actually fit inside it. It doesn't look like it has enough depth to fit your head in.

8. HighlanderFX

Right now the measurements are this..
    VxsbGZc.jpg
    The helmet is 7.5 inches wide at the shallowest point around the eyes.

My head is 6 inches at its widest (minus the ears), 6.5 inches tall in the back of the cranium and 7.5 inches from nose to back of head, so I figured there is enough room for a reasonably larger head than mine in addition to some form of padding. Maybe I'll do a helmet interior kit once this is done.

As for the filter ideas, I usually find that simpler is better, but I do like the idea of having something behind the vents acting as some kind of secondary filtration before it gets to the primary filter. However, I think the perforated disc would make things look a little too "busy" (not to mention, isn't it a thing where you don't mix dots and vertical lines?) I'll post a pic of actual wire mesh behind the vents in the morning to see what you guys think.

VxsbGZc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  9. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the plain horizontal vent lines work best of your options. Lovely work!

GhostMinion likes this.
  10. GhostMinion

GhostMinion Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love what you're doing with the filters! I've modeled this helmet for 3d printing, but did the "Remnants Helmet" version from New Vegas. The filters are much more simpler, and vanilla. I had always wanted to do a version more accurate to the F2 cover art, but glad to see someone else tackling it! Subbed for sure. :thumbsup

Here's my filters, minus the rivets and the middle filter element. Have no idea what to use as the actual filter element.
    enclave filter.png

Again, love how yours are coming out! Would love to see a run of this version........:love

HighlanderFX likes this.
  11. HighlanderFX

I was surprised no one had done this one yet. I could certainly do a run if there is enough interest, but lets see how it turns out in the end :p

[​IMG]

I used copper wire and wrapped it around to act as the "filter stripes". I'm thinking of using watered down Elmer's glue to smooth the gaps and make it more solid. The small air pockets would be disastrous for molding.

12. Stormie

Do you think a little bit of plasti-dip and a brush work for that? Maybe the the brush would leave too much texture?

13. HighlanderFX

I was thinking of plasti-dip..but i've noticed it tends to like to bubble on me (possibly due to humidity?) I'll test it on some wire and see what it looks like.

14. GhostMinion

Yeah, it always seemed to me that it looked like spooled wire in those filters. Is this a real type of filter? I tried and tried to find a real filter that looks even somewhat similar through Google, but have found nothing. I even have some digital artwork some guy posted years ago of this helmet, and the filters look the same. Like it's wire or something.

Seeing how it looks on yours, I'm starting to think I'll go the same route as you.

15. HighlanderFX

A quick pass with plasti-dip made it look really good. Definitely try it this way with yours.
    [​IMG]

GhostMinion likes this.
  16. GhostMinion

Here's some of the pics I was referring to earlier. In case you didn't already see them, I figured I'd drop them here for some good reference for your armor build. Still rather elusive with the filters, but honestly it looks like yours are on the right track. Plus, the filters in these pics actually look more like the ones from New Vegas.

apa 1.jpg apa 3.jpg apa 2.jpg

One thing I forgot to ask earlier: You are going to run the hoses from the helmet to the suit itself, right?

17. HighlanderFX

Correct. One 40mm hose connection that comes from the right cheek, one 2 inch hose that comes from the top right of the head and two 1 inch hoses that come from the top left of the head. I have been unable to source any hoses that look like the game art (nothing close to the same texture) so I'm going to make my own. I want them to be very flexible/soft so when I turn my head the torque from the hoses doesn't strain my neck.

18. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

looking good so far can't wait to see more.:)

19. HighlanderFX

Small update.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made holes for the center rivets and popped them in to see if they were the right size. I still have to clean up the separation line and fill in some small gaps. The 40mm hose castle had a few iterations on how much to space the "merlons" from the "embrasures" but I'm happy with where its at now. Basically the hose attaches to the castle and the castle fits into the helmet cheek so its completely removable for convenience of travel (the filter and filter elbow fit into the helmet the same way, along with the three hoses on the top).

I'm currently printing out the mouth piece which will fit into the front of the helmet and make the edges nice and symmetrical. The "beak" will sit on the inside of the mouth piece. Hope to get that done by this afternoon.

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Did you print the main part of the helmet? That has a lot more room than I thought it did.

21. GhostMinion

This is coming together very nicely. :thumbsup

Filter looks fantastic, just absolutely fantastic.

22. HighlanderFX

No I didn't. The main part was solid MDF until I made a quick mold to make a hollow rondo/fiberglass cast. That's what you see in the pics.

23. HighlanderFX

Back from a little vacation. Got right to work and fixed a few things that were bugging me. I added the beak and fangs in to see how it looks..
    [​IMG]

The parts left to do are the lenses and the small metal hoses that come out of the right cheek.

Nikolaus and GhostMinion like this.
  24. GhostMinion

Sweet lord that looks sick!!!

25. Stormie

That is so beautiful!

26. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

helmet looking good man....... looking real good........ keep up the good work!!!! :thumbsup

27. HighlanderFX

Small update.

Printed the side tubes and made the holes for the tiny mouth "clips" . I'm finishing up the lenses soon and then doing a test pull on my vac form.

[​IMG]

Dao2 and GhostMinion like this.
  28. HighlanderFX

Added the rubber gasket around the eyes and the two "nobs" around the base of the mouth. Tomorrow I'll begin molding the whole thing.

[​IMG]

Edit: I think I might need to make the nobs bigger, they seem a little small to me when looking at the F2 artwork.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  29. GhostMinion

How's the fit?

30. HighlanderFX

I was going to say like a glove, but there's plenty of room to move around inside. A foam helmet interior is on my to-do list.

[​IMG]

Sporkey, GhostMinion and Dao2 like this.
  31. GhostMinion

Yeah, that is freakin' SICK!!!

32. libernull

libernull New Member

Awesome!!! Can i order one for me? :D Long live APA ;)

33. GhostMinion

I second that!

34. gothic

gothic Sr Member

looking cool

35. HighlanderFX

I'll make a post in project runs with pics of the finished product.

Dao2 likes this.
  36. VaultDweller

VaultDweller New Member

Any idea how much one of these will go for?

37. HighlanderFX

I'm not allowed to discuss prices outside the Junkyard but I will be sure to explain everything in my Project Run post soon.

38. Stormie

This is the best ever! I hope I can get my hands on one.

39. GhostMinion

Hey, how goes the progress? :)

40. HighlanderFX

Waiting for parts for my 3D printer, it had a small accident with itself and needed a new heating platform. I still need to print out the lenses.

In the mean time I've been juggling fallout costumes. Trying to re-do my NCR ranger as well as the Enclave APA

41. libernull

libernull New Member

Don't wanna be a bitch or something but one thing that was bothering me. Holes for tubes, aren't they headed to low?
    This is what i mean, closer to original XSegh7w.jpg

42. HighlanderFX

No you are totally right. That unfortunately was not the only detail that was off. When I attempted to mold the helmet, I left the rubber gaskets in around the eyes, which ended up inhibiting the mold rubber which ultimately ruined the mold and most of the helmet.

I re-modeled the helmet to be more accurate with a bunch of changes. I am waiting for my new 3D printer to arrive in January to print this in one go.

[​IMG]

It's not totally perfect because the artwork would not be able to fit an actual human head in there without it being abnormally skinny, but I got it pretty close. It still needs some tweaking in a few areas.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  43. libernull

libernull New Member

New model looks great. *, i need to start collect money ;) Sadly X-01 from FO4 doesn't look so good :(

44. HighlanderFX

yeah, I agree with you on that.

45. HighlanderFX

Just for fun I put my model on the X-01 to see how it looked..and I actually really like it.

Side by side comparison. Granted mine has a much higher polycount but I can still imagine the entire thing in the same level of detail; it looks very much the part.

[​IMG]

I have been notified that my printer has been shipped to me from California..I hope it gets here soon because I cannot wait to print the new helmet out.

GhostMinion likes this.
  46. libernull

libernull New Member

Have a any close up shots? :D

47. GhostMinion

I like the Fallout 2 version better. Although, the nice thing about building a Fallout 4 version would be that it's huge and wouldn't have any trouble getting a human head into that one.

Can't wait to see your re print. I feel your pain, too. Attempting to make a mold for the T-51b helmet did not go well..........:cry

48. chimmera30

chimmera30 Well-Known Member

Incredible!!!!!

49. LoneWanderer

LoneWanderer Active Member

Excellent work man! Keep it up!

50. HighlanderFX

Finally my printer arrived! Spent the afternoon setting it up and now its ready to print 'round the clock.

[​IMG]

GhostMinion likes this.