Suggestion Facebook Group

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by JD, Jan 23, 2012.

1. JD

JD Master Member

I know we have the RPF Facebook page... and I've suggested a Group in past (before we had a chat room). But, seeing the a "non-affiliated" Group has started on Facebook... is it possible we could have an official RPF Group - one where we don't have to worry about banned members that jeopardize things?

Supa troop likes this.
  2. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Let me take a look at it and see. I don't necessarily see why not.

3. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That would be cool. It would be a little more "personal" I guess, and a bit more fluid. Great idea, JD! :thumbsup

4. JD

JD Master Member

I'm not sure who exactly started the other group, but I think it proved that it works pretty well when executed properly. I give those guy's kudos for the effort.

My issue was with a certain banned member (not Larry) and potentially other banned members that I think brought down the quality and jeopardized that place's respectability - amongst other things. Seeing how a thread there went way off track (due mostly to a member that never identified his RPF screen name)... well, as much I as dug that other group, I think it proved that it needed a little something...

5. Art Andrews

6. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool! That acceptance on facebook was quick Art!

7. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep what started out as a cool group has suddenly gone down hill so ive pulled myself out of it, please dont let the FB group go the same way :)

Thibault likes this.
  8. JD

JD Master Member

I'm hearing similar thoughts from lots of other folks.

Sad. It started out as such fun... hopefully, we can keep the new official RPF Group fun.

9. Bootlegger137

^ What he said.

10. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

:sick .....

11. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I think Thibault is allergic to facebook lol

12. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

Ha !

No, just to the first comment ....

Supa troop likes this.
  13. Bootlegger137

I don't get it. Maybe something is being lost in translation, or I'm just missing it. :confused

14. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

15. Bootlegger137

Ok. So you're saying that you're offended that someone asked for an official FB group for members of the RPF? I mean, that's what I'm getting out of the above. If I'm misinterpreting, please feel free to enlighten me.

I will say that I don't get the point of the link. Is it to illustrate the friction between JD and the Admins here? JD is still a member, at last check. He hasn't been banned...yet. :rolleyes So how would he be jeopardizing things? :confused

16. Art Andrews

Bootlegger might be missing it, but I can assure you, we aren't.

And you should take the comment personally, as your lack of willingness to moderate what has been happening there is a direct reflection on you. There is little doubt that Sup Troop and JD's feelings on the deterioration of that group is shared by quite a number of people as you have allowed it to go from a place with a purpose to simply becoming a soapbox for angry and disenchanted individuals to spew their venom.

Interesting that you linked to that thread. Even more interesting (ignoring the jab you were trying to take) is that while JD and I might not agree on a number of things, we have managed to round a corner of sorts and things have been going in a bit of a better direction lately. That is what happens when people are willing to work together and both bend a bit due to a love for a common cause. However, if you would like to explore that "jeopardy" theme you are pointing to... I'd be glad to accomondate you.

17. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

I started the Facebook group in order to be together during the attacks, and to discuss quietly between us.
    I even invited a mod, that I really appreciate, but couldn't unfortunately joined it...
    (I would have loved to invite Art too, but I thought he doesn't like FB groups...)

Nothing was jeopardized in this group... Or, at least, could you guys enlighten me about posts that I missed ...
    If I understand correctly, the only two banned members in this group were Larry and moogybaby...
    Seriously ? Who talks about respectability ...?
    They have been banned for baiting... and so what ? Did they screwed an other member or recasted something or failed to pay a props, or something that would justify to be at the ban of the society and make this group not respectable anymore ?
    Art said in the RPF that he loved Larry and considered him as a friend... Isn't it a voucher?

The link I gave was to help you having an opinion on the OP ... You understand his demarche in this thread and in the other one like you want, mate !

18. Art Andrews

You will get no argument from me that the group was started with a good purpose in mind. I don't think anyone is arguing that. It is what the group has devolved to since then.

I can possibly understand your confusion on Tom Moogan since that was before your time, but the fact of the matter is, this isn't about whether or not you have allowed banned members into your group. It is the sentiment you have allowed to be cultivated in a group that initially was initially setup as a positive thing.

Since you are taking my statements out of context to imply a "voucher" for your group from me, let me make sure we are clear. No, I don't vouch for your group. It has become a cesspool and you have allowed and encouraged it. The fact that I once held Larry in high regard has nothing to do with what has happened in your group.

What I understand (and JD can correct me if I am wrong) is that JD, like many, didn't understand and didn't like the way we handled the temp banning of Larry and Michael, especially because we didn't post a notice about it. That has nothing to do with JD's current feelings about what you have allowed to happen to your group and his distaste for it.

19. Bootlegger137

Thanks, Thibault, for clarifying. I appreciate it. In response to your post, allow me to address things as I see them, in order...

That is how I understood the purpose of the group, but that is not what it has become...at least as of yesterday evening (my time). Perhaps with the forum "secure" at this point, the group no longer serves it's intended purpose, and is evolving. That's fine. But after what I saw, it ain't for me. No hard feelings or ill will.

I'm not going to comment on this, as I don't know if JD saw something I didn't, or has more info based on the fact that he's been a member longer than either you or I.

What I see based on that thread, and now this one, is what appears to be an improvement in relations between Art and JD. That's a good thing.

20. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

I didn't saw your post while I was replying to Bootleger...

Freedom of speech is my credo... You can say that I am an *******, it's your right, and I will always fight to protect your right !

If the fellows who leaved this group didn't liked it, it's their right, but I don't appreciate to see my intentions misunderstood !

Is your last sentence a threat to ban me ?
    For what ?

21. Art Andrews

Interesting. I have seen a number of people, lately, hide behind the BS of "we are just protecting everyone's freedom of speech." The fact is, what you are doing is hiding behind the bastardization of a noble concept in an effort to justify being able to say anything you want... and that isn't what freedom of speech is about. There is a significant difference between freedom of speech and defamation. I would think, as a lawyer, that difference would be pretty clear to you, so lets not play games about what you are truly protecting.

The thing is, your intentions aren't being misunderstood. We have all said, your initial intent was a great one. Several people have also commented on how it would appear your intentions have changed... you just don't appreciate that people aren't comfortable with your current intentions.

22. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whoa Guys Please lets not fall out over this issue.

The FB group was started in good faith and as mentioned has indeed served it's purpose, by leaving the group and airing my thoughts on how sour the group has turned is not a reflection on the creator of the group or his skill to moderate it, after all that group is not affiliated to the RPF and can have as its members anyone it sees fit.

I have seen enough infighting and * on this forum over the many years i have been a member to last me a life time and i chose not to be subjected to it via a FB group.

I had great respect for one of its members too however after seeing my name thrown around implying i am some sort of spy was not on in my opinion and rather than engage in online arguments i chose to take myself out of the equation.

23. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

I agree with Simon....lets all take a step back and breath

Lets stop this infighting and move on. There are more important things going on right now to get worked up over a silly FB group.....

JD asked for an Official Rpf Group which can be controlled and moderated. One was created...Lets move on....

Festivus is over and airing of grievances will have to wait until next year......

If it cant wait, then maybe a discussion in a pm will be better

24. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

Seriously ???
    So, when people said in this group that you were a cool guy and worried about you because of the hacking, that was defamation ?

I INVITED IN THIS GROUP A CURRENT MOD OF THE REPLICAPROPFORUM !!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously Art, that's paranoia !!!

25. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

Seriously, there is a ton of miscommunication/confusion going on. Maybe there is a language barrier too :confused

THI the group started off great and everyone was having fun and joking around. We came together in a positive way when the site was down. Now, the group has become less joking around and more defamatory comments towards Art and the site.

The comments have turned from positive to negative. Check the group again and read the second to the top post. I had to re-read it to figure out what the heck was going on since not all of the comments show up on my phone

26. JD

JD Master Member

I don't have time to copy and paste and reply to every little detail in this thread.

Yes, I disagreed with the way Larry's original banning was handled. Parts of the way that was handled still bug me. Frankly, I had hoped Larry would return eventually from his current banning (and yeah, I mentioned that to a few folks here and there)... I think what happened in that 'Hitler' thread was forgivable given that the outburst had some sort of provocation. I think we all know it's way beyond that now.

It was fun seeing Larry back, but right from the get-go I had concerns that other banned members would be allowed in... banned members whose crimes were far less 'forgivable' (at least in my eyes) than Larry's.

Thibeault, I appreciated the Fallout Shelter. I did not you were the one who created it or I would've addressed you directly when I opted to leave. I thank you for creating it and showing that it could work... but, as I said I had concerns about the whole idea of it from the onset.

I thought the whole idea of the Fallout Shelter was for us discuss and have fun away from the RPF - during the hack and while the chat room was offline. Well, at least that's the way I thought it was supposed to be... I enjoyed myself there and I think lots of us had fun there.

I spoke up when another banned member joined... I spoke up because I was around years ago and I saw what happened when certain folks are alround. I don't want to be around those people, I've learned those lessons... and frankly, that goes back to my original fears with tying personal information in a much more direct fashion to the RPF (ala Facebook).

Thibault, I've heard from you twice on Facebook - and we're not even 'friends.' Once, back in September when certain folks were warned about 'plotting against the RPF' - in which we had a bit of discussion how thing's on the RPF seemed to be a little out of control during Larry's initial ban and then again about the Fallout Shelter. Obviously, you have issues with the way things are handled at the RPF and that carried over onto the Fallout Shelter...

I too have some reservations, but I'm not going to allow myself to be blindsided by the coy arrogance of some and just allow them to continue to poison the well - perhaps that's why there's been an exodus from your group? Maybe thing's are just too negative with some of the people that have been allowed in? Well, I could say I told ya so... oops, I guess I just did.

In the end, this is just a hobby forum board. Yeah, it's a bit more to some of us... but, *, get some perspective on the matter - life's too short.

I'm going to go eat my Cheerios and do my crossword now.

Bootlegger137 likes this.
  27. JD

JD Master Member

Yeah... and a slew of posts were also deleted when it was discovered that Art was invited to the group as well.

That's paranoia.

28. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

I wasn't the one who deleted them, but you mean, your deleted posts ? Deleted in your favor ? :facepalm

29. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

Yeah, JD, you mean, when you heard me when I warned you to remove your "free larry young" avatar, because Art told us to remove them, but you weren't included in his PM ... Be nice with someone and he will bite your hand !

30. Bootlegger137

So you're equating JD leaving your FB group, stating the reasons he left, and asking Art to consider starting an "official" FB group with "biting your hand?"

I'm pretty sure we've all said that the group was started with great intentions. No one questions that. I applaud you for thinking of it, because the thought never even crossed my mind. It was a brilliant idea. What is being questioned...or, more accurately, lamented...is the direction in which the group has gone.

31. JD

JD Master Member

I stand by everything I posted. I spoke up when posts were deleted (mine included) when it was discovered that Art was sent an invite. No one did anything 'in my favor' and I really don't think I need your protection (as was extending via message).

I didn't delete a single post of mine until I left the group - at which point I deleted everything I could that I posted. Nothing in my favor - just a blanket deletion.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  32. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

You hadn't get it Chris... Nothing to do about the FB group.
    What I meant is that :
    I warned JD in september that he should remove his avatar concerning the Larry's temp banning, so that he won't have troubles with Art and could keep his membership there, because, a dozen of members, including me, were warned and asked to warn other members that had this kind of avatar.
    I never mentioned the RPF handling, just the fact I was upset ... And I have enough class to not copy and paste our FB conversation...

For the rest, the official FB group is a good way to allow members to express themselves in an easiest way, like we have done in the group. It's more "fun"
    And I never disagreed with this or blame members to join it ... That would be stupid !!!

What I don't appreciate is "the way things have been handled" comments... Come on guys ! It might be a "care bears" comment, but we are a sort of family and friends united by the love of movies and props... If you didn't liked it, you could have just leave it, and that's all...
    I might be oversensitive... I just thought it wasn't nice to say this, that's all. :unsure

33. JD

JD Master Member

Yet, you copied and pasted Art's Private Message to you regarding the avatar/code of conduct to me in a message? Ummm...

Yeah, I wasn't part of another Facebook group that received a warning about their Free Larry avatars. I wasn't a part of that group - therefore, it was Ok for me to have that avatar.

I can understand this. But, I find it odd that your group spends its time * about the RPF/Art --- yet it's ok to handle it that way?? That's hypocrisy at it's finest.

Practice what you preach.

34. JD

JD Master Member

FWIW - yes, several months ago I had a Free Larry avatar as has been discussed here. I was allowed to keep that avatar because I was not part of Fb group that was allegedly critical of the RPF.

In 2005, I had a couple of avatars that I was asked to remove (in fact at least one was pulled). These avatars were Monoply images and I believe a monetary figure. I got harassing PMs from members regarding it. One moderator went in and deleted it - while I was PMing another mod about it. In fact, one Mod asked me to remove it as 'personal favor.'

Just so you know I'm not stranger to avatar 'censorship' (cough).

35. JD

JD Master Member

Also Thibeault, was one of the messages deleted from a banned member stating that he would physically assault Art if he were to meet him in person?

Will also add: have banned members in your group admitted they have sock pupper accounts here on the RPF?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  36. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Y'all sound like bickering old maids. It's a friggin' FB group.

37. Bootlegger137

This is true. The thread probably should have been locked after Art created the group.

Oh well. :rolleyes

Perhaps it's time to move this discussion to the appropriate place...the OT? :lol

Organic Mechanic likes this.
  38. JD

JD Master Member

It's a sign the RPF is getting back to normal, ain't it?

39. Art Andrews

My thoughts exactly. We must be somewhat getting over the hacking incident if we are all back to strangling each other... :unsure

40. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Seen this happening too.

Don't you just love us though ! :lol :thumbsup

41. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

I made the same observation in a different thread yesterday. :lol

"Feel the hate!" - it spans sites and media! :angry

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012