Face off season 4

Nigel's, north hollywood, friends, studio city.. All about 5-10 min from you. I'm assuming you mean bondo or Cabo patch when you say "ridge filler". But you should just make your own and pax. It will be way cheaper

Burman's was out of the powder you can add to ProsAide to make a filler paste with so I... improvised. If I hadn't had just four days to get everything together I could have had them order it for me XD As for making your own Pax- I had mixed some acrylics with pros aide to make my base in a pinch, but didn't have the patience to mix more and hadn't had the time to pre-paint. I've heard mixed reports how to make your own Pax- any suggestions?

If I make the call back, I sure as hell plan to be better prepared. XD

Will have to look up this Nigel's! Thanks for the tips!

Re: Re: Face off season 4

Uploaded a pic of the prosthetic I made for the audition.

To note: I was honest about the fact that while I had theater makeup experience, I had never actually made a prosthetic before, and that this was my first one I threw together two days before the interview. They were still impressed. XD

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/biliousneko/photos/makeuptest.png

I'm definitely in Alpha Proto's boat of being well versed in all the things but actual makeup, but I'm a very fast learner, and good at swift sculpts and builds! If I make the callback, I have a lot more materials I need to gather to do this properly. XD

Godddd why is it so hard to find ridge filler and PAX paint in Sherman Oaks???

How long did that take to make?

Burmans is better for industrial supplies such as polyfoams, resins, etc. For makeup supplies you can hit any of the major suppliers including Naimie's. to make your own cabo patch, mix cabosil and prosaide to a creamy consistency. spatula on and smooth with water. Nigel's carries cabosil ..they also carry premade patch, but you are better off making your own. ( when you go ..hit the FX department and ask for Brandon ..he is extremely knowledgeable in product) as for the pax, all you need is a base coat. the point of pax is to create a layer with adhesive that will bond to the prosthetic...then to the rest of your makeup with out cracking ..from there you can go in with your illustrators

ptgreek- Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to confirm! Will head over there asap. I'm such a failgirl- I know where the industrial supply places are, but not the makeup shops!

Astro Kid - One day to sculpt and mold (so the ultracal could dry over night) and a few hours to cast the foam latex. (It had to bake) And about an hour or so to slap and dash makeup on top.

I had four days to pull this all together for the audition, first day spent getting all my materials I could together, second day filling out paperwork and doing some tests and small prosthetic examples to play around with as well as the fastest so called 'life cast' of one of my manikins. My next go, I'll be making a proper life cast of myself- I'm thin so most of the proportions to my mock-up face fit, but my nose is much longer so the prosthetic kind of hurt to wear toward the end. XD Another reason I didn't connect the chin piece to the rest of the piece. (It was popping off from sweat by the time we took that photo right before I took it all off.)

If I do anything bigger than my convection oven, I'll have to give polyfoam a go. I've used it before in some form or other for stunt props. Experiment time, ho!!

please dont use your convection oven to bake foam latex!!! its realy not the proper oven to cure in AND ..it will contaminate that oven. Find someone that has a foam oven if you are going to do a prosthetic ..but if you are only doing a quick youtube audition video ..you could always run gelatin. As for the sweat .you need to block your face before you apply the piece ..either use witch hazel or zinc oxide to close the pours ..then use derma shield or e marble sealer.

and polyfoam is not really the ay to go for a facial appliance. If you have any specific questions on makeups ..shoot me a PM

Was thinking more for body pieces and the like, but yes! Again, thanks for the additional tips- as questions arise, I'll be sure to hit you up!

The convection oven is used in the studio and is dedicated to that. No food stuffs there, don't worry! Will make some phone calls if need be. :)

Uploaded a pic of the prosthetic I made for the audition.

To note: I was honest about the fact that while I had theater makeup experience, I had never actually made a prosthetic before, and that this was my first one I threw together two days before the interview. They were still impressed. XD

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/biliousneko/photos/makeuptest.png

I'm definitely in Alpha Proto's boat of being well versed in all the things but actual makeup, but I'm a very fast learner, and good at swift sculpts and builds! If I make the callback, I have a lot more materials I need to gather to do this properly. XD

Godddd why is it so hard to find ridge filler and PAX paint in Sherman Oaks???

Wow, I think that looks pretty sweet, especially for the first time ever doing it!

I saw a really cool tutorial on how to build your own oven from a stopmotion magazine. I like building stuff (obviously), it was relatively cheap, and its dedicated to baking foam. You could do that if you have the room.

I was a little bummed that Kris didn't pull it off, but Anthony did a great job as well, especially his female character. Honestly, I was just glad it wasn't Wayne. Compared to the other two, I didn't think he fit in the finale.

Me too. Any of them would've been worthy of it, though. I LOVED Kris' male character.

Thought the same damn thing. I think if only one character needed to be made, and not 2, Kris would have won based on his male character alone. His color scheme on the female is what killed him. Im glad Anthony won though. He kicked ass for the most part throught the whole thing. :cool

My only real quibble with Wayne's characters was that the female looked like she had a condom in the middle of her forehead. :facepalm

Since the first episode when Anthony won, I was thinking he would be the final winner.

Kinda fitting that Autumn was the last one picked for the final teams.

But at least she was a team player this time.

chris' male was good, the female was terrible. Waynes female face sculpture looked weird, and i didnt like it. his painting was subpar again. the only one who had two finished makeups was anthony. there was no doubt that he would win for me for one second.
even tho he got stuck with autumn

I was not paying attention to the screen when they were picking assistants but when I did look up and saw Anthony and Autumn working together I thought, "WTF man, why did you pick her?" I rewound the DVR and saw it was a last one picked situation. And she still almost sabotaged him with the mold.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Fox being on the final episode was a plus to me. It was nice to see some familiar faces return, even Autumn. Thankfully, they didn't have her do any face sculpts.

Last edited:
I'm really pleased Anthony won, too! They were all great at the end, although I could definitely sense some burn-out. The er... orange/yellow chick character would have been a lot classier if they had gone with bronze/red and gold to compliment the silver/blue male character, that neon color scheme killed me. Was not into wossisname's winged chick, either- I liked the wing idea and the sculpt came out very awesome back there, but yeah. Condom head. Was not feeling her face at all.

Sooo glad Autumn wasn't worse than she could have been. XD I was face palming at her molding feaux-pas, though. I thought the final teams were wonderfully orchestrated! It was fun to see those trios all working together and how they complimented each other! That's always my favorite part of the end of the season hahaha. Also glad they didn't do that 'split it into two episodes and have America vote' bull.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back