EP VII Millennium Falcon

Here's some work I've put into making the mandible walls accurate.

fun bonus, these new parts are printable, in theory (currently scaled for a 5' Falcon)

overlay.png

mandible wall.png

Man Steve! They certainly have changed a lot of detail on her. Not just the sidewalls too. I'm sure you see all the surface detail that's been changed as well. All that pipework looks kind of overdone to me. Sitting on top of the already over greeblied sides.
Btw- I'm thinking of trying to make the new radar array. Or did you make a printable file for the 5 fter as well?

Man Steve! They certainly have changed a lot of detail on her. Not just the sidewalls too. I'm sure you see all the surface detail that's been changed as well. All that pipework looks kind of overdone to me. Sitting on top of the already over greeblied sides.
Btw- I'm thinking of trying to make the new radar array. Or did you make a printable file for the 5 fter as well?

so yeah, the dish in the render is printable. I don't have enough reference yet for the actuator behind the dish, so that model will have to wait.

here's a render of the dish on its own. I need to fiddle with some of the details still (like those horizontal pipes), but on the whole this fits really nicely with photomatches from various angles. It's just a smidge over 5-inches wide, for the 5' Falcon.

dish.png

- - - Updated - - -

yeah the pipes are a bit crazy. But at the very least I can kind of see a logic to them. As the years go by, more and more crap is getting bypassed and rerouted.

I know one thing that I always wondered about with the sidewalls... with this being a pirate ship, why leave the sidewalls and pit machinery vulnerable with no protection against strikes? I mean yeah it kinda looks cool, and yeah it makes it look like they keep upgrading, but you would think that places like the pits and the sidewalls would be covered with panels to give that extra bit of protection while running from the Empire. All it would take is one hit on one of those components that would throw off impulse thrusters or the gravity generators and then they'd be in big trouble!

I think in the vein of hotrodding, it's like having the hood off an old ford. Whatever that's supposed to do (cooling?) I don't think Solo really thinks about getting in a firefight, he's concerned with speed, a quick get away. Maybe the mechanicals work better with direct exposure to a vacuum.

Think of this also: Almost all the actual armor plating you see is covering portions of the ship where there's pressurized compartments. I think the Falcon has many many redundancies with her mechanicals, so it doesn't matter if any of those exposed pipes get hit. The armor is just there to prevent loss of cabin pressure in a pursuit.

That kinda makes sense... I know that over the years I've often just started at the various parts of the Falcon wondering what is the purpose of this part or if this moved what would it do. Kinda fun when you think about it.

Oh here's a good question for ya... if the Radar Dish is what helped them to determine a path for lightspeed travel, when Lando busted it in ROTJ how were they able to jump into Lightspeed with it gone after blowing up the deathstar?

I know there have been attempts and depictions in the past, but I've always wondered what a "stock" YT-1300 would look like. Probably more streamlined with more coverings and plating, perhaps no dish or antennae, smaller cannons...etc?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back