EP VII Millennium Falcon

I think it just adds to the overall mystique. I'm glad there is no continuity. And... it was an awesome movie. :)

I agree, that's what I mean. I wonder what the details are like on the model they used to digitally fill-in the full scale set.

by the way, here's a case in point, you have no idea how many times I tried to photomatch that early image of the partial full-scale falcon. That was ********* infuriating! It never worked, but it would come so so close.

That early partial set piece looks like it was just built for viewing/shooting from one side without any strict measurement standards. You can see how how the port nose is wider than the starboard just looking at it.

Attachments

• SpanishLeak1.jpg
    SpanishLeak1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126
yeah, there's definitely some kind of forced perspective at work. Parts of it looked a little flat in shots from the movie, but the over all effect is still great. Especially panning shots with the sun behind her. Here's hoping there's more of that in EpVIII. Hmm... now that I think of it, I really hope they don't attempt some further update, to honor the way she changed between ANH and ESB... nah, they wouldn't... would they?

yeah, there's definitely some kind of forced perspective at work. Parts of it looked a little flat in shots from the movie, but the over all effect is still great. Especially panning shots with the sun behind her. Here's hoping there's more of that in EpVIII. Hmm... now that I think of it, I really hope they don't attempt some further update, to honor the way she changed between ANH and ESB... nah, they wouldn't... would they?

I dont think they will change her at all. They will probably pick up right where EP VII left off.

Any of you guys see the HUGE 2-dimensional jigsaw MF that Walmarts have been displaying over their electronics areas? They've had ours up for over a month, finally took a look at it today and it's actually got a lot of detail. Wonder what that's based off of, it's gotta be around 5' size.

EDIT*** Guess it pays to look up the info, it's from Battlefront :) *****

Hey Steve Vitek posted a behind the scenes video,....theres so much Falcon goodness in it

It now says its private,....damn

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to the video in 1080 without sound.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B25Xsf1r3lGjaTVKbHJBV2J4WHc

This video and forum post CONTAINS SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't seen the film. I think that applies NONE of the readers of this forum.

Since these are before and after comparisons, with two widescreens, the full resolution you will get from these screens is only about 520 pixels high.

Some good spots for taking screens of the digital Falcon:

At 1:29 there is a great screen of the falcon parked on Jaku. and the whole taking off sequence. Some of the best shots for model matching.

3:14 More of the Falcon parked in Han's freighter. -This may all be set pieces and there's a lot of camera movement/blur.

6:18 The Falcon is coming out of hyperspace and hitting the trees at Starkiller Base.

9:10 Chewie picking up rey in the Falcon after her lightsaber battle with Kilo.

Last edited:
It kinda saddens me that all the ship shots were done using CGI. With all the money they had at their disposal, they could have actually built the real ships and used them instead of making them all digital. I think that's why Ep4 has lasted for so long. Everything was actually built. Sure the Sand Crawler was just the tank treads... and the land speeder was just on a gimble... but all the ships were actually built in a real environment. They were shot against a blue screen too but hey, it seems like CGI is just a crutch these days. I don't mind it for helping obtain some impossible shots, but come on. What's the harm in trying?

I think most director's today have lost that creativity. They rely so much on CGI these days they forget that back before computers all the effects were all done in camera. Made you really have to think about how a shot was gonna be handled. Made people be creative in how they got a shot. Nowadays they don't care. The biggest difference that Star Wars HAD over Star Trek was the fact that it inspired people knowing that everything was actually created in real life. Not some computer. So what if the sets were bigger in this... it has nothing to do with the ships at all. With all the time they spent on the CGI they could have done the same thing with an actual model. If they couldn't figure out how to do it with a practical model, then yes I can see the need for CGI, but only as a LAST RESORT... not the FIRST OPTION! You stop an think about how many hours we've all spent making the perfect models. How many hours of research we've spent on figuring out what model kit this little part came from and that little part. How many sleepless nights we've spent trying to recreate something we KNOW actually exists! Now what are we suppose to do with these new ships? Download them? Comon Hollywood... you've got the time, the money, and the talent staring you in the face! You keep saying "oh it's more cost efficient to do it all on a computer these days" and I'm so tired of hearing that phrase. In this forum exists some of the most talented people on the planet. Here you have a cornicopia of resources, models, artists, and geeks that have basically crafted their lives around doing this exact thing. USE US! GIVE US THE OPPORTUNITY to show you the difference between REAL and CGI... Allow us to prove that it's more then just an art form... it's actually possible to do and probably under budget! Hell, I'm sure that most of us would jump at the chance to just be a part of the Star Wars universe and wouldn't even want to be paid (well maybe a percentage of the royalities! LOL) Honestly... If I knew that my ship or model was going to be used in an actual SW movie... I'd gladly donate it! Even if it was just a background shot!

WOW! I never noticed Poe's wings closing / opening when in went into the "reactor" (whatever it was called) VERY COOL! Great vid!

I loved the sunlight moving naturally on Poe in the cockpit,.....the same way the Falcon cockpit was on a gimble,....brilliant

Loved the Falcon.....and the lightsabers with their own GLOW!!!!

J

I know... they were touting how all the sets were huge and all the practical effects, and then you realize that all the ships were all CGI and I'm like really??? Then I see the sets and see all the blue screen everywhere and a, like REALLLYYY??? What happened to all the practical effects??

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back