EP VII Millennium Falcon

yep, I'm a fan too. No interest in people moaning about this one. Sure it's clunky, but it has its moments, and most of them involve the Falcon, so I'm happy as a pig in #@$. I understand if folks don't want to get burned like last time, but give it a rest. It was fun. It was definitely better than any of the last three. And it's just the beginning.

I know this goes without saying... and you'll probably beat me to it... are you making the 15" access panel covers hinged? ;)

Last edited:
Hey Steve, no screen grabs I can find yet, but I did find a small 800px deleted scene image of the interior.
Found it here On page 3 of the article it says about this image "...appears in the Visual Dictionary."
View attachment 571214

And an image on Amazon from the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Incredible Cross-Sections Hardcover which you may find interesting. :)
Looks like they painted the cross section art over an image of the model from the film.

View attachment 571215

Some nice detail on the back of the radar dish and other areas. :)

I notice that on the cross-section they include the corridor leading to the central gunwells. :) Nice touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this goes without saying... and you'll probably beat me to it... are you making the 15" access panel covers have a hinge? ;)

not till I see some screencaps of what's behind it, otherwise I'll just torture myself making a panel that hinges down and then has a big blank behind it.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice that on the cross-section they include the corridor leading to the central gunwells.
smile.png
Nice touch.

it's definitely one of the best falcon cross-sections I've seen.

I notice that on the cross-section they include the corridor leading to the central gunwells. :) Nice touch.

I noticed this too. Looks like the actual set is lacking the hallway shown in the cross section when looking at the interior leaked photo found in this thread:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=147319&page=219

10417468_10203329417788871_7989189963600330058_n_zps67c804a5.jpg

But I understand it. It's movie magic.
That's the way the sets were built in the original gunner scenes in hope.
No long hallway to the gunner access ladder

8200030110_fcb98b1d70_o.jpg

When you start to lay it out physically, in the real world it doesn't work and you need a hallway of some kind.
The DeAgostini model has it with an angled hallway:

YI530H4DA_536b7961-bcc2-4361-9f71-9fe2e2e5be2a_large.jpg

Similar to the Hayes manual:
mf7.jpg

Steve, I know you have talked about how in TFA they show the gunner module spinning on the hull facing 180 degrees in the Jakku scenes.

I wonder if that would help solve the issue here.

If the whole gunner module spins in the center, and the access ladder tube is offset and directly under those circular viewing ports, would it make sense that the whole module spins to put the ladder closer to the main hallway when gunners need to access the guns?
I mean, Han or Rey could hit a button in the cockpit that spins the gunner module and access tube into "access position" where the ladder lines up closer to the hallway like it does on the sets. I still see a need for a hallway -but it would be shorter.

mf.jpg

The biggest problem with this idea is the location of the ladder and opening.
It's upside down in this shot:

14953329510_88453c7fdd_z.jpg

Because of how the gun is attached in this shot:

18qfve33yyyg5jpg.jpg

Last edited:
When you zoom into the cross section, apparently they acknowledge the rotating gun well:
"Gunrunner Gannis Ducain refurbished gun well with custom rotating core."

gunrunner.PNG

The starwars site recognizes Gannis Ducain as one of the former owners of the Falcon along with Lando.

Funny they acknowledge the "custom rotating core" and the crosssection shows some rotation bearings in place, but the gun well access ladder and hallway looks like it isn't designed to do much spinning in the cross section image.

yep, I'm a fan too. No interest in people moaning about this one. Sure it's clunky, but it has its moments, and most of them involve the Falcon, so I'm happy as a pig in #@$. I understand if folks don't want to get burned like last time, but give it a rest. It was fun. It was definitely better than any of the last three. And it's just the beginning.
I agree 100% !!

Re: Thoughts about the Millennium Falcon in "Star Wars The Force Awakens"

I find it crazy how much whining people do about stuff that doesn't matter.

So the Falcon is more maneuverable in TFA...

in Empire Strikes Back, did people whine as much? Go watch ANH, the scene where they first leave Mos Eisley... Han needs to lose a Star Destroyer while the make the jump to light speed... so he casually veers left.

In Empire Strikes Back when the falcon can suddenly maneuver an astroid field did everyone get all "Oh so now the falcon can move quickly? that doesn't quite fit with what I know of it's previous, limited screen time"

Gads.

Haha! The movie isn't perfect but the stuff some are nitpicking and making a big deal over is laughable. I mean, really?!

Re: Thoughts about the Millennium Falcon in "Star Wars The Force Awakens"

I think most of the time the originals (4 thru 6) get built-in immunity from criticism of the same things the other films get picked over with a fine tooth comb about.

People to this day still complain about the Special Editions and Prequels. This one just came out, so I can't expect people to be quiet about any criticisms they have already.

As someone who hasn't seen it yet, what parts of the Falcon do they show, besides the obvious?

People to this day still complain about the Special Editions and Prequels. This one just came out, so I can't expect people to be quiet about any criticisms they have already.

As someone who hasn't seen it yet, what parts of the Falcon do they show, besides the obvious?

From what I remember watching the film you just see the main cockpit, the main hold room (although it does have the forward side wall removed and there is a small room there with a bunk, like seen in the cross-section image posted earlier, the one with Chewy in it), and you see the gunner turret room (with the gun mounted on the bottom instead of the top), as well as the entry ramp and cockpit hallway and cockpit rear wall...pretty much everything we have seen before plus that small added room and back of cockpit wall...some of the details are slightly different, like the deck plating in the main hold is changed, but the interior is basically the same as the OT...hopefully we will get to see more areas in one of the later films.

From what I remember watching the film you just see the main cockpit, the main hold room (although it does have the forward side wall removed and there is a small room there with a bunk, like seen in the cross-section image posted earlier, the one with Chewy in it), and you see the gunner turret room (with the gun mounted on the bottom instead of the top), as well as the entry ramp and cockpit hallway and cockpit rear wall...pretty much everything we have seen before plus that small added room and back of cockpit wall...some of the details are slightly different, like the deck plating in the main hold is changed, but the interior is basically the same as the OT...hopefully we will get to see more areas in one of the later films.

Also a shot from within the "Leia Kiss Scene" room out the door to the main hold, and the corridor to the cockpit has the cockpit attached now, so there's a shot down that hall toward the center of the ship that pans over and you're looking at the open door to the cockpit, a view never seen before.

Hmm, that's interesting. I remember some speculation from before release that perhaps you see more of the back part of the ship. I wonder if they designed or even built it in reserve for future films.

One thing I've always been curious about is the padding. Regardless of what it is supposed to be, does anyone know what it is was made of? Like some kind of cream colored leather over foam?

I dont see why the whole turret needs to spin, considering you get the full movement with how the quadlasers can pivot in all four directions like a ball joint. There is just no need to swival the whole gunner bay, just the seat.

finished up my TFA wankel. Funny looking thing... Looks like they modeled the wankel-half on the starboard side (a little roughly) and then mirrored it and called it a day. C'mon guys... though I guess you could suppose that whatever that thing is on the falcon was replaced with a newer version of a different brand or make.

wankel.png

also, this is what I have on the look of the actual set piece. I saw some more behind the scenes material that confirmed the T-intersection to the left of the ramp. Wish they'd shown more! Maybe some stuff will surface from the cutting room floor?

aside from the extra bit of corridor, and the new med bay off the main hold, it still follows the ESB floorplan for the set peice. Doesn't reconcile any of the bits in even the new cross-section.

View attachment 573861

- - - Updated - - -

anyone hear anything about a TFA blueprints book? That would make my century...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back