EP VII Millennium Falcon

I just went over the footage in slow motion, and it looks normal to me. Do you have a screengrab showing the pattern?

yeah, I'd love to see the flaps in action. I did once try to have my model move its mandibles to grab stuff, and it looked AWFUL. For whatever reason it just didn't work in any appealing way. Same for a test I did of the cockpit rotating, which it's rumored the falcon was supposed to do in flight.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=543358&stc=1

You posted the pic! :) Look at the pattern of the engine vents.

Think modular, baby! If the center core space provides for 'mix & match' fitment of gear, then what's to say the whole core, being a modular weapons fit, couldn't also move within the 'socket'? It certainly makes sense that the two gun stations could mover independently of each other and the ship. It also would be logical to 1) have remote control of the weapons & 2) automatic control of the turrets to be possible. It also seems logical that the "turrets" (harking back to the WWII aerial combat aesthetic present since the beginning...) would seal off from the rest of the ship when in action to isolate 'em in case of breach. It is also possible that the sequence in ANH depicted the weapons system in a degraded state, with certain motion modes offline, eh?

So, nothing here that presents any more difficulties (perhaps less!) than any other aspect we've seen so far...

Cheers! Robert

Think modular, baby! If the center core space provides for 'mix & match' fitment of gear, then what's to say the whole core, being a modular weapons fit, couldn't also move within the 'socket'? It certainly makes sense that the two gun stations could mover independently of each other and the ship. It also would be logical to 1) have remote control of the weapons & 2) automatic control of the turrets to be possible. It also seems logical that the "turrets" (harking back to the WWII aerial combat aesthetic present since the beginning...) would seal off from the rest of the ship when in action to isolate 'em in case of breach. It is also possible that the sequence in ANH depicted the weapons system in a degraded state, with certain motion modes offline, eh?

So, nothing here that presents any more difficulties (perhaps less!) than any other aspect we've seen so far...

Cheers! Robert

True. Just because we haven't seen it before doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It's not like they took something round and made it square!

Oh wait...

At least with the turrets. ; )

I just went over the footage in slow motion, and it looks normal to me. Do you have a screengrab showing the pattern?

yeah, I'd love to see the flaps in action. I did once try to have my model move its mandibles to grab stuff, and it looked AWFUL. For whatever reason it just didn't work in any appealing way. Same for a test I did of the cockpit rotating, which it's rumored the falcon was supposed to do in flight.

I have done alot of thought about it and the only way that I can see it happening is this. The greeblies along the inside of the mandibles are the only things that move... then the center section of the Falcon spreads open to allow the cargo to be placed in the forward hold. There's a track you can basically see along the inner mandible that would be for moving along. The foreward hold has a door that would open under the jawbox and the cargo would basically be shoveled inside that way. That would explain the use of the greeblies there on the inside of the mandibles themselves and you wouldn't have the whole mandble arm moving.

I would think the ladder tube remains in place, and that the turret (and the entire turret interior of course) rotates...which means that one would have to return the turret to the forward position in order to access the tube again.

I would think the ladder tube remains in place, and that the turret (and the entire turret interior of course) rotates...which means that one would have to return the turret to the forward position in order to access the tube again.

But in the "don't get cocky, kid" bit, it's implied they can see each other through the corridor, no?

As I proposed elsewhere, it could logically have been something that was 'broke' during ANH and so the turrets weren't rotating OR Han-san preferred to 'lock' the turrets to allow for quicker exit if needed (relying perhaps on the emergency atmosphere retention force field system - EATFFS - instead of the turret closures in case of blow-out...)

Too much fun!

R/ Robert

The DK Cross Sections books Show the turret rotation track in the Falcon cutaway. This is because when the LFL archives were researched, this element was discovered, and so it was drawn in the cutaway. However, it is not entirely evident how such rotation occurs from the cutaway.

But the rotating turret feature was nixed for ANH, and the interconnecting ladder tunnel seemed to lock the hardware in place, plus the cannons seem to have a great range of motion on their gimbal frames. I discovered this just by moving one of the cannons around in its gimbal on the MPC model (not rotating the turret). However, there is some limited declination when firing backwards in a non rotating turret, which may be one reason why it was decided to “implement” a rotatable turret for ep 7. Another reason might be the “cool” factor.

All well and good, but as has been mentioned before, how is it handled inside remains to be seen. Or not. Personally, I hope we get to see how it is handled internally, and I further hope it is not a cop out of some kind.

Mark

If the entire ladder and gun rooms were to spin together, perhaps in ANH the entire assembly was spinning when we see Luke and Han going up/down the ladders. But wouldn't account for the placement of the guns during all exterior shots. In actuality, in order to line up with the ladder, when seen from the top, the guns should be pointing to the left side of the ship.

Perhaps the seat doesn't move at all and just the top circular turret section rotates... that would still work and no interior would be compromised very much at all. When firing from behind you wouldn't be able to see out the window anyway and would have to rely on the computer screen to tell you where the enemy is at! But honestly, I figured with that large hull section on the bottom towards the rear where the landing gear come out would have been hidden guns to make it alot easier for firing on trailing targets rather then rely on the top mounted guns the whole time.

Perhaps the seat doesn't move at all and just the top circular turret section rotates... that would still work and no interior would be compromised very much at all. When firing from behind you wouldn't be able to see out the window anyway and would have to rely on the computer screen to tell you where the enemy is at! But honestly, I figured with that large hull section on the bottom towards the rear where the landing gear come out would have been hidden guns to make it alot easier for firing on trailing targets rather then rely on the top mounted guns the whole time.

I like the idea, but since the turret windows are dished inwardly, the solution would have to be very creative.

Mark

I like the idea, but since the turret windows are dished inwardly, the solution would have to be very creative.

Mark

Yes, the dished viewport! Just ignore that... if you don't then you realize the gunner's can't see much at all... not that visual targeting even makes much sense given the speeds & distances involved - plus the darkness of space!

For my rationalized MF build, the gunner's viewport will only be used as an emergency backup for the holographic targeting system and will be a simple protruding bubble for the head. The guns will mount vertically in the center of the current 'window', so they have a full range of motion and can 'close' the gap in the rearward fields of fire. The turret disks will rotate. The gunner's stations will be internal pressure vessels aka 'globes' that allow a full 360-degree view of the near space around the ship (think 'Last Starfighter'), using the aforementioned holographic projection system. All this is tech that was demo'ed in ANH, if done using somewhat less 'slick' SFX than is now possible. Even the idea of automatic gun operation is allowed (actually preferred again because of the speeds, etc.) since the ship has a 'brain' - so why not the weapons system too? So gun system modes could be with one or two gunners at the stations, or remote control using what would essentially be a visor mounted system or full automatic - are all within the 'envelope' of the SW universe. Basically, gunners would be tasked with target designation, not engagement since it would be beyond most 'organic' operators to do so in "space combat". Various degraded modes would also be available, resorting to manual control as automatic systems fail or are damaged. Sort of the 'last hope' situation.

Oops! Waay off topic.. sorry! Yes, rotating turret disks!

R/ Robert

Mark

Well I believe the window "frame" around the dished window is as deep as the dished inward window itself (try to say that 3 times fast I dare ya!) So it would be possible that just the turret alone would spin around and the seat remains in a stationary position (semi-stationary as it also moved when he was firing while seated). Now something that I've been thinking of is what if the whole room were the size of the turret section and rotated with it... that would mean it was larger and the entrance behind the seat would rotate on a central ring as well so that it would look like the ladder was spinning in the opening as the turret rotated around. Which also means that the window is actually smaller then the room itself and it does look smaller in the film. So, instead of the room being indicative of the window, the room would be indicative of the turret round itself.

Yes, the dished viewport! Just ignore that... if you don't then you realize the gunner's can't see much at all... not that visual targeting even makes much sense given the speeds & distances involved - plus the darkness of space!

For my rationalized MF build, the gunner's viewport will only be used as an emergency backup for the holographic targeting system and will be a simple protruding bubble for the head. The guns will mount vertically in the center of the current 'window', so they have a full range of motion and can 'close' the gap in the rearward fields of fire. The turret disks will rotate. The gunner's stations will be internal pressure vessels aka 'globes' that allow a full 360-degree view of the near space around the ship (think 'Last Starfighter'), using the aforementioned holographic projection system. All this is tech that was demo'ed in ANH, if done using somewhat less 'slick' SFX than is now possible. Even the idea of automatic gun operation is allowed (actually preferred again because of the speeds, etc.) since the ship has a 'brain' - so why not the weapons system too? So gun system modes could be with one or two gunners at the stations, or remote control using what would essentially be a visor mounted system or full automatic - are all within the 'envelope' of the SW universe. Basically, gunners would be tasked with target designation, not engagement since it would be beyond most 'organic' operators to do so in "space combat". Various degraded modes would also be available, resorting to manual control as automatic systems fail or are damaged. Sort of the 'last hope' situation.

Oops! Waay off topic.. sorry! Yes, rotating turret disks!

R/ Robert

Ignore the dished window, eh? I suppose. Maybe there are 4 dished windows (2 top, 2 bottom), none of which move, and the turrets rotate to pick up the aft most windows so as to jive with the footage. Of course, when the turrets rotate to fire aft, the gunner (who hasn’t moved either) will be looking thru the same window, but now will see the underside of the turret portion that used to be aft. And no one will be under the aft windows! Those are just for looks…yeah…that”s the ticket.

Actually, your rationalized MF build concept is well considered.

Mark

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back