EP III clone helmet. Rough sculpt PIX*

clonesix

Master Member
I have been working on going episode III lately. The helmet for the EP III clone trooper has taken me three weekends, and it's not even half done.

This is carved in 4 LB density foam. This is my sculpting medium of choice for its fast shaping abilities. There is another foam bucket thread elsewhere in the forum, its a stormtrooper bucket. I wanted to show the foam clone.

If anyone would like to comment on the proper description, "sculpted" vs "carved," please feel free to post thoughts.

Here it is.

3qtrfinal01.jpg

aoneside01.jpg

Thanks wackychimp for hosting. Thank you for looking.

AWESOME...

I can´t seem to find this foam in Germany :unsure
Any european rpf-members, who can tell me about its availability and possibly a brand name in Europe/ Germany???????

Anyone?

Markus

Very cool sculpt....cant wait to see it done..im sure you feel the same.....I sculpted mine form bondo mostly...this foam seems super to work with any hints on where to get it from? thanks

I've got a few questions:

1) How dense is this foam? It's got to be more dense than say, couch foam, correct?

2) How do you get such sharp angles?

3) How do you cast it from this point? Is it vac formed, or do you make a mold (does the foam absorb the silicon), or is there another way?

Either way, that's pretty damn cool :thumbsup

-Fred

thanks for all the feedback. This is a work in progress and wanted to share it. I will post more as it progresses.

Originally posted by Gigatron@Oct 17 2005, 05:29 PM
I've got a few questions:

1) How dense is this foam?  It's got to be more dense than say, couch foam, correct?

2) How do you get such sharp angles?

3) How do you cast it from this point?  Is it vac formed, or do you make a mold (does the foam absorb the silicon), or is there another way?

Either way, that's pretty damn cool  :thumbsup

-Fred
[snapback]1098273[/snapback]​

1) read 2nd paragraph of 1st post.
2)All anlges are made by block sanding the flat areas with 400 grit sand paper.
3)The next step is a surface coat of resin, glazing putty, and high-build primer. Wet sand to glass smooth.
3a)No, the foam does not absorb silicone. The silicone will pick up all the detail of the foam.

Just awesome.

I am pretty sure that the foams correct description would be "(high pressure) extruded polystyrene foam" (X EPS). Products in the U.S. sure come from Dow Chemicals or various others, in Europe for example BASF produce an XEPS that is labeled Styrodur, and comes at different densities. For example of the pressure resistance, Styrofoam/Styrodur/XEPS is put under budilings foundations to insulate against heat loss, or is used to make cnc-cut sliding casts/jacket casts for concrete parts.

As a funny side story, DOw Chemicals was the only manufacturer who produced XEPS in a white colour. Since it can be easily cut using a hot wire, and can be painted and glued together, XEPS is very popular with architects for building scale model buildings for presentations. But Dow changed the colour a few years back to their cd colour blue. A guy from Germany picked up all of the white XEPS he could get his hands on, and afterwards made a pretty penny on selling the genuine white stuff to those crazy architects :lol So, if you find white XEPS somewhere, you know that you don´t want to tell the seller that it is valuable. GOd, no one needs the Eumig craze on XEPS ;)

Michael

Is that delivered?

I paid $31 for the block that did this helmet, and had extra.

The mohawk is going to be made in mdf skinned with styrene.

Awesome man...one of the more accurate Ep III buckets I've seen to far. Can't wait to see a finished version.

Is it going to have a closed bottom with removable back piece like the EPII bucket?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back