EP III clone helmet. Rough sculpt PIX*

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by clonesix, Oct 16, 2005.

1. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

I have been working on going episode III lately. The helmet for the EP III clone trooper has taken me three weekends, and it's not even half done.

This is carved in 4 LB density foam. This is my sculpting medium of choice for its fast shaping abilities. There is another foam bucket thread elsewhere in the forum, its a stormtrooper bucket. I wanted to show the foam clone.

If anyone would like to comment on the proper description, "sculpted" vs "carved," please feel free to post thoughts.

Here it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks wackychimp for hosting. Thank you for looking.

2. glim999

glim999 Sr Member

Holy S*** man, that looks amazing.

3. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Agreed. Keep us posted.

4. CTF

CTF Sr Member

Way cool, dude. Just awesome.

I've admired you work for ages. :)

5. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

That looks great Jon , having seen your EpII helmet , I know this will be just as nice :)
    Keep us updated.

6. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AWESOME...

I can´t seem to find this foam in Germany :unsure
    Any european rpf-members, who can tell me about its availability and possibly a brand name in Europe/ Germany???????

Anyone?

Markus

7. skygunbro

skygunbro Well-Known Member

Very cool sculpt....cant wait to see it done..im sure you feel the same.....I sculpted mine form bondo mostly...this foam seems super to work with any hints on where to get it from? thanks

8. sithlord23

sithlord23 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great man. Any chance of seeing a pic of this next to a stormie helmet for size reference?

9. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I've got a few questions:

1) How dense is this foam? It's got to be more dense than say, couch foam, correct?

2) How do you get such sharp angles?

3) How do you cast it from this point? Is it vac formed, or do you make a mold (does the foam absorb the silicon), or is there another way?

Either way, that's pretty * cool :thumbsup

-Fred

10. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

thanks for all the feedback. This is a work in progress and wanted to share it. I will post more as it progresses.

1) read 2nd paragraph of 1st post.
    2)All anlges are made by block sanding the flat areas with 400 grit sand paper.
    3)The next step is a surface coat of resin, glazing putty, and high-build primer. Wet sand to glass smooth.
    3a)No, the foam does not absorb silicone. The silicone will pick up all the detail of the foam.

11. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just awesome.

I am pretty sure that the foams correct description would be "(high pressure) extruded polystyrene foam" (X EPS). Products in the U.S. sure come from Dow Chemicals or various others, in Europe for example BASF produce an XEPS that is labeled Styrodur, and comes at different densities. For example of the pressure resistance, Styrofoam/Styrodur/XEPS is put under budilings foundations to insulate against heat loss, or is used to make cnc-cut sliding casts/jacket casts for concrete parts.

As a funny side story, DOw Chemicals was the only manufacturer who produced XEPS in a white colour. Since it can be easily cut using a hot wire, and can be painted and glued together, XEPS is very popular with architects for building scale model buildings for presentations. But Dow changed the colour a few years back to their cd colour blue. A guy from Germany picked up all of the white XEPS he could get his hands on, and afterwards made a pretty penny on selling the genuine white stuff to those crazy architects :lol So, if you find white XEPS somewhere, you know that you don´t want to tell the seller that it is valuable. GOd, no one needs the Eumig craze on XEPS ;)

Michael

12. deralis

deralis Well-Known Member

Looks great Can't wait to see the Completed helmet at Next years Comic Con....

13. TD-4242

TD-4242 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I must say it is looking really good. How do you plan on doing the Mohawk?

-Bill

14. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

Is that delivered?

I paid $31 for the block that did this helmet, and had extra.

The mohawk is going to be made in mdf skinned with styrene.

15. Locke5

Locke5 New Member

Awesome man...one of the more accurate Ep III buckets I've seen to far. Can't wait to see a finished version.

Is it going to have a closed bottom with removable back piece like the EPII bucket?

16. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

Wow, the more I hang around these forums the more amazed I get. Super job. cannot wait for the final pics....

17. Goffcorp

Goffcorp New Member

Eh...It's okay I guess.

Not bad for your first try. ;)

Goffcorp

18. Chuey

Chuey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh look, Six has more fans drooling again. :lol

19. Darksaber212

Darksaber212 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Can't wait to see the finish job. :thumbsup

20. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

The mohawk is in the making. Here is a first look at teh dome with the mohawk.

[​IMG]

21. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i wish i could get some of this foam in the u.k.

anyone know if anyone stocks it?

z

22. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

It is a pretty common building material. I am sure there must be companies in the UK that sell insulation. If you can't get in in blocks, then perhaps sheets? I know you can buy 2" thick, foil backed sheets.

If there is enough interest, I can look into buying some and shipping it out. I know that you can purchase it through the web, but I seem to get the idea that you get it in 12"X12"X12" block. I think that something like a 12"X24"X6" block might be more practical.

23. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

looking good.
    -Goldenrod

24. division 6

division 6 Master Member

As usual, outstanding work Jon.
    And it looks like this one won't take you a year to make like tha last one. ;)

D6

25. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ive had a look around google but it just seems to be the flexable stuff.

i'd be interested in getting a block shipped over, do you know what sizes they do?

can you sand it smooth?

cheers

chris

26. division 6

division 6 Master Member

When I worked at a sign company we got some samples ranging from soft to rock hard.
    I aquired the samples and occasionally use them for small projects. (12"x12"x1" sheets)

The harder the material the smoother you can get it.

D6

27. Honus

Honus Sr Member

You might try geting some balsa foam from these guys.
    http://www.softroc.com/americanfoam/default.asp

I think it's a bit more expensive but it's supposed to carve and sand really well. Ususally I just get big 4' x 8' sheets of blue foam from Home Depot and glue them together to get the thickness I want.

Jerome

28. wyrwolff

wyrwolff New Member

OUTSTANDING as usual, Jon... Can't wait to see it :)
    Jesse
    "Happiness is a Warm Smartgun"

29. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

30. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

I have a few helmets on the workbench.

I gonna need a bigger bench

[​IMG]

31. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member

I have a bench here in Kansas City that would be more than happy to alleviate your space problem.... :D :D :D :D

32. siLv

siLv New Member

Send the 501st Helmet over, he will have a great spot :p

33. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

That last picture floored me....amazing. Your talent really shines with that pilot helmet....up until now I have seen decent interpretations of that helmet but you have just set the bar so high that it will be tough to raise it from here....your inner circle that is privy to your work is are fortunate indeed.

34. billy1974

billy1974 Well-Known Member

Master Replicas look out. Great work clonesix.. Bill

35. Locke5

Locke5 New Member

I'd take one of your buckets over a MR any day...that is, if they ever release their buckets. ;)

I kid, I kid...

36. punisher

punisher Sr Member

how do you mirror the detail on both sides so evenly? what is your secret.?

Scott

37. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

punisher,

that is best answered with pictures, a center line, a ruler, a compass, several triangles, squares, and a calculator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

Hey Jon, did you also use this foam to build your armour from? As always amazing work.

39. Java

Java Sr Member

Looking great 'six.

40. casey

casey New Member

i have a few questions if you dont mind: what kind of resin and glazying putty? and what kind of application? i imagine spraying it on would be difficult.

41. badger

badger Well-Known Member

Never ceases to amaze me what talents are on this board.

You are a sculpting god.

'nuff said.

42. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

Thanks guys. Now I feel guilty just letting the helmet sit on the workbench and not touching it all weekend.

43. badger

badger Well-Known Member

best way to get rid of that guilt is to send me a helmet, nothing to it.

;)

badger

44. punisher

punisher Sr Member

Oh, ok thanks. still, YOU ARE AMAZING :) did youdraw up the line art yourself to trace onto the foam? great job on that also.

Scott

45. Danaedhel

Danaedhel Active Member

you are my hero..

[​IMG]

could you post those drawings, please?? thanks in advance..

I can't wait to see it finished :D :D

46. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

These are amazing Jon.
    Did you get my last pm?
    -Goldenrod

47. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Looking amazing. Keep us posted.

48. journeymanprotector

journeymanprotector New Member

awesome work, I'm just beginning to learn the wonders of foam, we're using the standard white foam in a sculpting class I'm taking.

I'd posted a separate thread but thought I'd get an opinion here if possible, I'm thinking of using some type of foam for sculpting bucks for a vac-table. I'm not so concerned about it being hard enough, but rather that the heat (and any resulting fumes) won't be an issue.

Do you know how this stuff reacts to heat, have you ever tried vacuforming it? I'd love some feedback on whether the heat (which dissipates pretty quickly after the pull) will be too hot and cause any dimpling in the foam and consequently ruin the pull.

I'm just so impressed with foam's versatility and want to avoid working much with resin or plaster and I don't have tools for woodworking. I plan to try the vac on some foam anyway when I make the table but thought if anyone had burned their house down trying it before it'd be nice to know ahead of time :)

Very awesome work, I'm really starting to think I want my next suit to be an epIII clone...

Thanks,
    Phil

49. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, serious question.

WHAT IS THE FOAM CALLED THAT YOU USE TO SCULPT ?

The term "foam" and "expanded foam" is used loosely throughout this thread, so I assumed that it must be some kind of expanded polystyrtene insulation foam.

But today I got a call from a heavily disappointed Odiwan72, who had visited a local building supply market due to a hint from me, but didn´t find the locally available STYRODUR (product name used in Germany for expanded polystyrene foam for insulating walls) being the same kind or similar material as the one you use for sculpting.

So, we need a clear technical description of the material to compare it to other brands and their insulation products. The usual short term for that stuff is "XPS" for "expanded polystyrene".

Dow Chemicals make something that is sold as STYROFOAM(blue colour) (another brand name that has been widely accepted as being an actual materials name), but they also use the names PERIMATE, FLOORMATE, ROOFMATE, respectively named for the intended use as perimeter insulation, wall insulation or roof insulation :p .

The main difference in the appearance and quality is the level of insulation and pressure resistance the XPS has. And I think that is what the distinctive characteristics are that might help us finding a similar material.

I hope you guys can help.

It is that letter and number gibberish that is printed on the side or the top of the blocks/sheets you have that certainly will help us find the right material.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
    (sheesh, engineers degree and can´t name a sandable polystyrene from the top of my head ;) )

50. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Michael,

thanks for the support...it´s much appreciated :)

Markus