Eomer from LOTR build - WIP

Question on the belt -- is it all craft foam, or have you stitched the craft foam onto another belt? It looks like it's going to turn out well, too.

I finished the belt today, but I haven't gotten any good pictures of it. I had a real internal debate about how to do the belt/sword hanger stuff. It needs to be strong enough to support some weight, so straight-up craft foam is not an option. I knew the right way to do it would be to get some leather belt blanks and cut, tool, dye, etc. However, I have never worked with it before and while I'm not intimidated, I don't have time to learn before Dragon Con (I seriously stood in front of the belts at Tandy Leather for a good while yesterday trying to decide). What I did was get some double-sided carpet tape from Home Depot. It's basically duct-tape without the silver stuff. I sandwiched that between two pieces of the thinnest foam, and then cut, tooled, and painted it the same way I did the rest of the armor. It seriously feels and looks just like the real thing, and I suspect it will have no problem under the load it needs to bear.

It fits really well!!!

You have no idea how relieved I was/am that it does. Paper mockups and resizing photos in Illustrator can only go so far once you start in with real materials and curves and layers. The whole time I was doing the pauldrons I was like "these are too big" and then I'd look at stills again and measure and measure and measure. Well, they're NOT too big, but they are BIG. Karl Urban himself mentions as much in one of the interviews on the TT appendices.

The whole time I was doing the pauldrons I was like "these are too big" and then I'd look at stills again and measure and measure and measure. Well, they're NOT too big, but they are BIG. Karl Urban himself mentions as much in one of the interviews on the TT appendices.

You'd think there could be a Rohirrim Football league, right? *hehehe* I don't think I have seen that interview of Karl... but yeah, they are huge!

And I get the remeasuring, believe me. No matter how much you work on the pattern, it is still super hard to trust them. :p

I'll be cutting and painting a lot of these over the next couple of days as my wife works on the tunic/other soft parts.
Any suggestions on attaching the foam scales to a cloth base? Sew it? Glue it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376888001.502670.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376888018.076013.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376888044.687303.jpg

I'd probably prefer to sew at first, but I don't usually know for sure until I try it out and see how it looks/hangs. I usually try a couple of things first.

I really cheated on my husband's scale... if I were to do it again I'd follow your method here. :)

I finished the belt today, but I haven't gotten any good pictures of it. I had a real internal debate about how to do the belt/sword hanger stuff. It needs to be strong enough to support some weight, so straight-up craft foam is not an option. I knew the right way to do it would be to get some leather belt blanks and cut, tool, dye, etc. However, I have never worked with it before and while I'm not intimidated, I don't have time to learn before Dragon Con (I seriously stood in front of the belts at Tandy Leather for a good while yesterday trying to decide). What I did was get some double-sided carpet tape from Home Depot. It's basically duct-tape without the silver stuff. I sandwiched that between two pieces of the thinnest foam, and then cut, tooled, and painted it the same way I did the rest of the armor. It seriously feels and looks just like the real thing, and I suspect it will have no problem under the load it needs to bear.

Well, it looks like the real thing -- great job! I'm going to file this method away for later projects. Because somewhere along the line, I'm sure it'll come in handy.

The paint job on the scales looks very authentic! I can imagine it's also very time consuming. Given my druthers, I'd probably stitch them, as that's more my forte than prop/hardware work; everytime I've tried to glue anything, it's come undone, anyway. On the other hand, as Guri says, you can't be sure until you have an idea how the layers of that foam will drape. You may want to take some scrap samples and try stitching some onto a scrap of your fabric to see if you'd be happy with the way they'll work together.

Progress is happening - my wife has completed the tunic/shirt using the first, simplest pattern on this page minus the skirt portion, and it looks great! (pics soon). Once she volunteered for this, I left the choice of fabric completely in her hands and honestly, I probably would have never chosen ANYTHING if I hadn't done that, because it looks so different in every single image and I'm a terrible decision-maker. We ended up with what I believe is a poly suiting fabric, probably this or similar. I like it so much I may end up wearing it by itself. Seriously, for such a dead-simple pattern it looks damn good.
She's also shown me samples of the embroidery she's doing on the green skirt/wrap thing (I was just planning on fabric paint).
Finally, I spent the last two nights assembling the upper torso portion of the chain mail (which can be seen in a past life here).
susan06.JPG
My original idea was to just do the arms/chest, then some kind of leather/fabric filler/straps under the harness down to the skirt where the chain would continue. You can see an image of this concept in the Rohan section of the Weapons and Warfare book. I'm still not sure if it would be more work or less work. Either way, I'm then going to spray it with copper metallic spray-paint, so that's why I want to get it done before I finish the scale - afraid of leaving it until the last minute and driving to Atlanta with paint fumes.

Hi grey, I know the picture you're talking about with the chain mail that's got a leather band in the middle, I'd be interested to see how that's made. Tactically it makes sense if you're going to wear a breastplate over the top.

I don't think I've discussed the wig here yet. I spent lots of lunch hours early on browsing wig sites, and then watching YouTube wig reviews (which is a whole subculture and a GREAT way to see what the different styles and colors actually look like). I ended up landing on the "It's a Wig" Lace Front Fine in the color DX2002, and I think it's nearly perfect. Only problem is that my head is slightly larger than the ladies' heads for which it's intended. As long as I style it right you'll never know.
http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/itwiglafrwig7.html
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377194197.703092.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377194217.736966.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377194101.937987.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377194101.937987.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 127
Hi grey, I know the picture you're talking about with the chain mail that's got a leather band in the middle, I'd be interested to see how that's made. Tactically it makes sense if you're going to wear a breastplate over the top.

Yeah, I had the idea before I saw the picture, and then that sort of made it ok. I'm coming down firmly on the side of doing it, now after thinking on it a bit. The fewer additional sheets of mail I have to weave the better. I think I'll use the same heavy cotton I'm using for the green skirt thing, and put some metal eyelets along the edges.

Grey, pardon me while I totally fangirl the Susan Pevensie battle outfit! =D That one is on my "to do" list, but much further down the line, given all the accessories that have to be done, alongside it.

The wig looks like it'll work really well... and yeah, the wig reviews on YouTube can be really helpful. As can the styling advice vids.

This is really coming together and looking awesome. The Viking provenance for the tunic is actually fitting, given the parallels with Rohan. Can't wait to see more progress pics!

Boots!
There's not a ton of great reference for his boots, as they're covered up by the shin armor. So I referenced this page of viking clothing to at least have some idea of what he could have been wearing. I have a couple of pairs of tall boots for other costumes, but neither is quite right. I pretty quickly found these Thomas Brown Adult Boots and ordered them.
10926528.jpg
They're definitely costume boots, very cheap, and not quite as tall as I'd like - especially because I'm a tall guy - but they look surprisingly good for what they are and they'll be mostly covered up anyway. I did remove all the existing laces and replaced them with velcro - the originals didn't go tight enough and looked sloppy. Then I hit them with a healthy dose of black and brown acrylic to filthy them up.

Grey, pardon me while I totally fangirl the Susan Pevensie battle outfit! =D

Thanks, that's the work of my incredible wife, who for some reason hasn't joined the RPF yet. Queen Susan's in the middle of an extreme makeover, getting a set of smaller diameter chain mail and wet-molded leather corset. When it's all done I think we'll do a crossover photo shoot. It's what Tolkien and Lewis would have wanted.

Costume or not, the boots do look "period appropriate," and dirtied up, covered with armor, I think they'll be perfect for what you want.

Can't wait to see your wife's revamped Queen Susan. I think Tolkien and Lewis would have gotten a kick out of Su and Eomer hanging out. Wait... there's probably a fan fic for that, isn't there? ;) It actually has struck me more often in recent months the similar themes that Tolkien, Lewis, and White were exploring in their own ways. Just wish someone would do a new take on Once and Future King like we got with Narnia and Rings. =)

Have y'all hit panic mode yet? =D

Over yesterday and today, I whipped that wooden sword into shape. Still working on the scabbard and straps for it, because I never formulated a plan for that part and now it's come back to bite me. I also got the scale mail and the chain mail completed. Pics of those coming soon.
u5e8a5u2.jpg
y5yte2yj.jpg
a8abady7.jpg
guzy5y5a.jpg

Really nice job on the sword! I ran into a similar issue with my sword for Valkyrie -- got it and then realized I needed a sheath or scabbard. I ended up just making a sheath from some extra microsuede; I still need to make the chest strap for it. I'm curious to see what you come up with for this. That horse detail will make the scabbard an interesting fit!

I just love this costume so much!!! You are going to look so good.... Please, please, please get in front of a lot of photos at Dcon!

Do you have any shoots planned?

oh my! Buried within a thousand Ironman thread is this awesome outfit! I have been wanting to do Eomir for ages but keep chickening out.....well done sir!

Fantastic!!! this is just amazing, as soooo much details. I am blown away! Can I ask what material you used to create the horse detail on top of the pommel?

I'm admitting temporary defeat on wearing the sword for Dragon Con. I finished the scabbard, but I don't have time to finish all the belts and straps to hang it. Second pic is the real thing for reference. Time to pack - full costume pics after I debut it on Friday.
ja8u4yny.jpg
a9amapyt.jpg

The scabbard looks great! Too bad about not being able to wear it. :( But I think we ALL get that and have been there in one way or another.

You will be bringing it next year, though, right? :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back