Eomer from LOTR build - WIP

Adding a reference image for the pauldrons. I'm realizing I've still got a lot of dirt to add!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376281798.123019.jpg

I loved all th' armors used in LOTR your definitely nailin' it very accurate I love this GP. A real work of art can't wait ta see it finished keep up the great work.:popcorn

Thanks for the encouragement. This has been a costume I've promised myself I'd make for a long time and it's extremely satisfying to start seeing it actually come together. I now know there are details I've left out or gotten wrong, but that's the sweet curse of building to a deadline. Sweet because it would never get done at all without a looming convention on the horizon. For this year, I've already decided to postpone the helmet, and the sword might be the next casualty, depending on whether I can get some extra days off before Dragon Con. Thank Eru my amazing wife volunteered to help with the sewing parts. Just for fun, here's the current state of the sword project- my first time attempting anything of the sort: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376364553.931538.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376364575.303114.jpg

...I now know there are details I've left out or gotten wrong, but that's the sweet curse of building to a deadline. Sweet because it would never get done at all without a looming convention on the horizon.

Amen on that one!

For this year, I've already decided to postpone the helmet, and the sword might be the next casualty, depending on whether I can get some extra days off before Dragon Con.

It seems that most costumes are in a continual work-in-progress status -- we do them, then we find things we'd like to re-do or re-work, and we're off again on version 2.0, then 3.0, and so on. The work you have been able to accomplish is amazing, with a great use of materials. The choice of quality over quantity is a hard decision to make, but, in this case, well worth the sacrifice of the helm and possibly the sword. The other option might be to pick up a latex LARP or cheaper Rohan-style sword to fill in till you get yours together.

Still, a great build. Really nicely done!

HOW DID I MISS THIS!!!??? I so so wish I had been able to find it and follow this from the beginning.

It was one of my favorite costumes to create ever. I too had a terrible time with the $(*(%*#)$ pauldrons. I'm wondering if it was my pattern that didn't work for you. (I'm Jedielfqueen)

You're doing such an incredibly beautiful job... I love the metal base choice you made and your use of craft foam makes me clap. *hehe*

Unfortunately you are now ANOTHER reason I am going to be sick missing Dcon this year. There are going to be Elven Archers too.

Please, anyone following this thread and reading this if you ever make (or see) a LOTR or Hobbit build thread, let me know about it? I simply cannot figure out how to find these things on this site. All I ever see is Iron Man and super heroes. :(

Anyway - I will be following now and if there's anything I can help with let me know - I know it's late... but I thought I'd offer anyway.

It was one of my favorite costumes to create ever. I too had a terrible time with the $(*(%*#)$ pauldrons. I'm wondering if it was my pattern that didn't work for you. (I'm Jedielfqueen)

Hey! Yes, your site was a TON of help (and inspiration), especially for vambrace and grieves pattern. I gave your pauldron pattern a shot, but it didn't work for the materials I wanted to use. It still helped me make sure my scale was more or less correct when I patterned my own. I'll try to post as many of my illustrator templates as I can when this is all over, and hopefully pay it forward a bit.

I saw the elven archers thread, too - incredible. I also imagine there are going to be some amazing Hobbit/dwarf costumes, considering the photos I've seen from other conventions this year. Too bad you're going to miss this year, but I have a feeling Tolkien track won't be going anywhere soon.

Anyway - I will be following now and if there's anything I can help with let me know - I know it's late... but I thought I'd offer anyway.
Actually, Guri, what did you do for the tunic/shirt/base layer? I have this image, and I'm planning to use a very simple Viking tunic pattern with an added collar, but I'm still not sure if that's the best option and what material to use. Currently I'm planning to use something natural and breathable, and dye it if necessary. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376415888.546809.jpg

We actually just used a long sleeve gray t-shirt for ease and comfort. The collar I made orange for some reason and sewed on to the silver mesh we used for his chainmail.

you can kind of see it here:

http://www.jedielfqueen.com/conventions/Dragoncon04/eomerglorfindel.jpg

But I think your idea would be much more what Eomor would wear. haha!

That's an awesome reference pic, btw, I have not seen it before! It looks like it might have some quilting, like what Boromir wears under his vambrances. But it's hard to see at that low rez. It would make sense for a warrior to have some padding for combat.

The pic shows the green skirt really well too! I always wondered how it came together at the top.

Yeah, I found that on Tumblr by searching for Theoden. Seriously.

Anyway, currently working on the armor, and couldn't resist a group shot:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376440558.541353.jpg

Ha! Yeah, it gets surreal sometimes. I'll be searching for something on images and see myself pop up...

It just looks so great... I use craft foam as leather all the time and I'm still stunned at how realistic you've gotten it.

Any chance you're going to Alep3?

Not sure of our con schedule for next year yet. It's a possibility if we skip DCon. We're in IL, so it wouldn't be quite as far.

Craft foam magic formula for me was to iron it first, using scrap fabric between it and the iron, then cut and tool it. Then paint with one or more coats of acrylic, then a wash of some brown antiquing glaze I have, (but watered-down brown acrylic would be fine) to bring out the details and add depth. Finally a coat of cheap acrylic varnish (mine's Ceramcoat from Michael's).

Thanks for the details! How did you affix it to the metal? And did you use large rolls of the white foam?

I don't know what costumes I'll be making in the future, but I love hearing of new techniques with the foam. My youngest son wants the new Legolas costume (he has the LOTR version and outgrew it! grrr) I want to wait to closer to ALEP because he is going to be 12 in Sept and the 12-14 year was when my other son shot up and grew 6 inches! My youngest is super skinny and will continue to make a fabulous Legolas, but I don't want to have to make 5 costumes for him. haha! My oldest is 6'3" maybe 4" by now. I want him to go as Thranduil in armor, but he's not having any of it. He said he MIGHT do Sauron, but the helmet I made squishes his nose so I'd have to make another. Again. GRRR

You know, your technique might work for the Tauriel costume I'd like to make for my niece...

I actually got a large roll of BLACK foam, and I didn't realize how lucky I was at the time. I used it for all the "trim" around the edges of the armor pieces (cut 2" wide strips of it, fold it in half while ironing so it's a 1" wide strip, hot glue that closed, then cut triangles into the open edge so it will go around curves, and hot glue that to the underside of the armor edges. Not screen accurate, but looks great). I haven't found it (black) anywhere ever again, so if I run out tonight on my last piece I may need to figure out how to duplicate the correct color with the white foam instead.

The surface decoration is affixed to the aluminum mostly with Elmer's glue stick. I know, shameful, but it gave me plenty of time to work (unlike hot glue) and sticks pretty darn good. A few places that have pulled up due to the curve I put on the piece have been repaired with super glue, but that often leads to crazing that I then need to cover with grime. I bet some kind of contact cement would have worked, but I went with what I had on-hand.

Right on, black is a better way to go.... I forgot how sometimes paint peals and cracks and it's better to have that than anything else. You should see my Sauron, the blue foam is showing through the cracks now! haha!

And here you go! Foamies® Extra Large Roll: Black Foam | ConsumerCrafts I have no clue on shipping times.

If the piece you want to make is small, you could always buy the smaller size foam in a craft store.

I would never have thought that a glue stick would work! Amazing. I heart foam so much. I used Fabric-tac and heat n' bond a lot, but didn't have a clue for metal.

As for the pealing off part - it's probably too late now, but in the future, a hot iron on it and forming it into the shape you want will help the foam to keep the shape it cools in. Do that to it in the curve you want and it wouldn't want to peal off as much.

Thanks - definitely bookmarking that for next time. Most of the red "leather" is the smaller sheets in brown, but certain things like the trim and some strap details benefitted from having the longer roll.
Last night I added most of the connecting straps, so tonight I should have some pics of the whole assembly actually being worn.

Just a couple quick updates: I finally got the harness to a place where I can actually try it on, so I did that today!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376801039.929667.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376801073.370237.jpg

Spent the evening on a belt - please ignore my water damaged table/workbench.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376801120.268395.jpg

Feels awesome to finally try it on, doesn't it? =D I know I couldn't wait to try on my Valkyrie suit as soon as I got the top and bottom stitched together!

Question on the belt -- is it all craft foam, or have you stitched the craft foam onto another belt? It looks like it's going to turn out well, too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back