ecl's Kermit the Frog Puppet Replica (later builds, using my newest patterns)

Those YouTube vids are great; thats how I learned the stitch as well. It takes some practice; just keep going at it.

The pads I use for the feet are simply some thin cardboard—but styrene works ok too. The only issue I’ve had with styrene before is that contact cement has a way of distorting it (chemical reaction i think), but another type of glue can be used to glue it to the felt. The pads help to give the bottom of the feet a bit more structure and stiffness, while also providing a ‘floor’ for the stuffing to sit on top of, if you want to give his feet some definition in top.

I have a question about one of your patterns. The pattern for the legs, is it one piece that you fold over and sew or is it a piece that you cut out twice and sew it together? just as a reminder, heres the pattern in question

Attachments

• KermitLeg.jpg
    KermitLeg.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 381
I have a question about one of your patterns. The pattern for the legs, is it one piece that you fold over and sew or is it a piece that you cut out twice and sew it together? just as a reminder, heres the pattern in question

For the leg pattern, it is one piece that you fold over and sew—only one seam (unlike the head, which is in two halves). The same with the arms too, just fold over and sew.

For the leg pattern, it is one piece that you fold over and sew—only one seam (unlike the head, which is in two halves). The same with the arms too, just fold over and sew.
Ah, ok, thanks! and by looking at it, the seam goes on the back of the leg?

That’s correct! The seam runs basically down center of the back of the leg. When you attach the feet, you can also use the back seam as a guide to align with the back of the foot.

You're welcome! I look forward to seeing pics of your build. I'm definitely to try building another character at some point, and eventually possibly another based on an original design as well. Puppet building is actually kind of fun!

Here's the "photo puppet" version I made. I actually removed the wires in the arms and legs, so he's now more of a hybrid of a traditional posable photo puppet and the puppet kermit. I didn't want to worry about the wires eventually breaking from repeated use, so I just left the wires in the neck and mouth in place.

View attachment 940769

View attachment 940770
[This puppet is amazing. I’m looking for a patter to make one for my grandson. Is there a pattern somewhere? I don’t seem to be able to locate.

Hey There! Today’s Jim Henson’s Birthday! I have a question. How many Kermits you’ve made? Like Place ALL of a kermits like a family photo! For mr Henson?

Hey There! Today’s Jim Henson’s Birthday! I have a question. How many Kermits you’ve made? Like Place ALL of a kermits like a family photo! For mr Henson?

Happy Birthday to Jim Henson!

And that’s a good question: I’ve made a total of 13 Kermits since this all began! Hard to believe, but there have been a continuous string of small changes and experiments with materials that I kept wanting to try. I wish I could take a pic of them all together, but some of them went to friends/family, and a few were sold—I typically only just keep one around here in my collection.

The most I’ve had here at one time was 4....luckily, I do have a pic of that! The bottom left one in this pic Is the only one that isn’t a functional puppet, with a solid foam body and closed bottom. This photo was a from 2 years ago, so slightly older builds (but basically from the same patterns that I used today, although my most current pattern/builds are more refined overall) The first three I’d made were slightly bigger, from being scaled up to use 40mm ping pong eyes.

1A2C3947-1908-48D8-AC39-9BA556A43626.jpeg

Happy Birthday to Jim Henson!

And that’s a good question: I’ve made a total of 13 Kermits since this all began! Hard to believe, but there have been a continuous string of small changes and experiments with materials that I kept wanting to try. I wish I could take a pic of them all together, but some of them went to friends/family, and a few were sold—I typically only just keep one around here in my collection.

The most I’ve had here at one time was 4....luckily, I do have a pic of that! The bottom left one in this pic Is the only one that isn’t a functional puppet, with a solid foam body and closed bottom. This photo was a from 2 years ago, so slightly older builds (but basically from the same patterns that I used today, although my most current pattern/builds are more refined overall) The first three I’d made were slightly bigger, from being scaled up to use 40mm ping pong eyes.

View attachment 1352018

I'm loving that photo!

I spent years tracking down a decent Kermit and settled with the Master Replicas version.
(Kermit is currently waiting for me to finish his Banjo and log display).
Kermit.png

I Love your work, thanks for sharing!

Thank you! And thanks for sharing that pic! The MR Kermit is still one of the best pieces of Henson merchandise out there. Looking forward to seeing the banjo! The one must-have accessory for Kermit :D That’s a very cool looking Leonardo mask as well, love the ninja turtles!

How many pieces do you use for kermits body? I’m using your old patterns

Generally, I end up using 7 pieces, although that sometimes depends on how the foam pieces end up getting cut (they can vary often times).

Something like this (below). From what I’ve seen in several references is that Kermit’s back has a pointed look to it, and his chest tends to be flatter. One my current builds, I will often trim the pieces to slightly different shapes and widths to get that look (Two back pieces a little wider, etc.):

642C11F6-3D4A-4232-898E-9384269B7222.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back