DUNE 2021 Crysknife

Back again with another Crysknife, this time I had a go at a different blade shape, the same as Dr. Kynes' knife. This one has a 3D printed handle but the blade is made from 10mm acrylic that I shaped on the belt sander. I still haven't nailed the paint but I'm getting closer to what I want, definitely more knives on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4387.jpg
    IMG_4387.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,078
Just wanted to come back and share some photos of my 3d printed replica, model courtesy of Gizmodels on Cults: Download STL file Dune 2021 crysknife • 3D printer model ・ Cults

I printed this on my Anycubic mega S and finished it up with filler primer and some Dulux paints. I based the paint colours on the replica, so they're a bit too cool when compared to the actual props, guess that means I have an excuse to make another one :)

My interpretation ended up like this; the black gradient has blue undertones rather than yellow, and the handle is made to look like leather, whereas on the actual prop it's just a darkened continuation of the blade. I think the film version is much more cohesive, but I like the different look that my knife has that makes it my own. Enjoy!
Great paint job - love it!

I’m getting a cast soon and would love to hear your painting techniques.

Great paint job - love it!

I’m getting a cast soon and would love to hear your painting techniques.
Thank you, and please post yours here once it's done! for the paint on mine, I used pretty standard techniques, spray paint base and acrylic weathering, etc. For the gradient I used Pinata Mantilla black ink through the airbrush- this specific black has a really nice blue undertone. For the handle, I actually started with the dark colours first, then built up layers of brown and orange by stippling it on very lightly. Everything got a black and raw umber wash and sealed with gloss clear. Hope that helps!

Not to derail this thread, but wanted to say a huge "Thank you!!!" to Malibu139 who very graciously helped me get one of the United Cutlery crysknives. It was quite the saga given Irish customs, but we held our cool :D

I'm now the very proud owner of one of these, and it's all thanks to his kindness! Malibu139 - "Sir, you are a gentleman!" as we say here.

Happy Christmas, one and all!

Well I sent my factory repaired one back to BudK asking for an exchange and they just gave me a refund… so now I gotta wait until they have free shipping again to buy a replacement. It’s weird that it’s listed on 3 other sites that look like identical clones of BudK. Wonder if they’re all from the same warehouse.

Most likely.
I buy from a bike shop on line that is actually part of 3 stores, same layout of websites.
All within the same town.

Not to derail this thread, but wanted to say a huge "Thank you!!!" to Malibu139 who very graciously helped me get one of the United Cutlery crysknives. It was quite the saga given Irish customs, but we held our cool :D

I'm now the very proud owner of one of these, and it's all thanks to his kindness! Malibu139 - "Sir, you are a gentleman!" as we say here.

Happy Christmas, one and all!
Really glad to help out and extra glad it made it before the holiday!

Thanks for the kind words my friend!

yo
Per joberg's suggestion - can anyone help me out with an order for one of these cryskives? BUDK or the like won't take my Irish credit card, but happy to pay someone in advance who can help an Irishman out! (Genuine article :D - born and raised here! Also, will need shipping to here!)
u can also get an account with a forwarder like myus. Send it to their warehouse and get them to ship it to you. Thats what I did

Finally finished mine! This is the one offered by Jediguy. I would’ve liked the grooves in the handle to have been deeper and writing on both sides but it was still a great print, and nice it came with a sheath. Thanks again Luiz! And thanks to everyone here who provided reference pics and tips!

I’ve never done something like this before so it was certainly a learning experience. Definitely would like to take on another one with the lessons learned from doing this one.

Attachments

• 8003EAEC-F012-4E63-BD59-C1BBBB145BC5.jpeg
    8003EAEC-F012-4E63-BD59-C1BBBB145BC5.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 245
  • 805C8A8D-79C4-4840-BCBF-F1F319271601.jpeg
    805C8A8D-79C4-4840-BCBF-F1F319271601.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 196
  • FC97FD9B-DE6F-49E7-BB0E-B0D697215AA5.jpeg
    FC97FD9B-DE6F-49E7-BB0E-B0D697215AA5.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 202
  • EF7E3315-B35C-479A-B986-A3D342C961C9.jpeg
    EF7E3315-B35C-479A-B986-A3D342C961C9.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 188
  • AB61DADA-B2F4-4B25-83A3-D9EA51B4F804.jpeg
    AB61DADA-B2F4-4B25-83A3-D9EA51B4F804.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 184
  • 33C52E03-46EB-4531-85B1-99CF87DEF057.jpeg
    33C52E03-46EB-4531-85B1-99CF87DEF057.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 212
Hey everyone!
Just wanted to ask, if anyone else noticed this:
It seems like all of a sudden most of the Crysknife-listings dissappeard on Etsy. Especially the more accurate ones that looked liked scans from the original prop (or the licensed replicas by United Cutlery...?).

Has anybody heard / experienced anything official by Warner Brothers closing down the "fanmade replicas"??
Could be just a coincidence - but still seems kind of weird, though... :oops:

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to ask, if anyone else noticed this:
It seems like all of a sudden most of the Crysknife-listings dissappeard on Etsy. Especially the more accurate ones that looked liked scans from the original prop (or the licensed replicas by United Cutlery...?).

Has anybody heard / experienced anything official by Warner Brothers closing down the "fanmade replicas"??
Could be just a coincidence - but still seems kind of weird, though... :oops:
Warner Bros taking them down for copyright it's the Harry Potter wands all over again.

My stillsuit kits were taken down too.

I'm in the process of naming them something else to avoid that.

But yes WB doing what WB does best.

I think re-naming them would, maybe, be the best recourse;) WB is doing what is legal under the law. We'll have to live with it...

Warner Bros taking them down for copyright it's the Harry Potter wands all over again.

My stillsuit kits were taken down too.

I'm in the process of naming them something else to avoid that.

But yes WB doing what WB does best.
Alright, I figured as much...
Sure I know that this is WB's legal right. Still I'm a bit dissapointed.
I wish they would understand that keeping their fanbase happy is worth far more for their franchise than selling an extra bunch of licensed items. :confused:
But as joberg said: We'll have to live with it...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back