DRIVE (2011) Scorpion Satin Jacket

first pic of the medium:

379064_10150430199719077_609429076_8825677_260633247_n.jpg

According to the comment on Steady's Facebook: ''Jacket feels very high quality and thick. Medium has a very tailored fit to it."

well, it does look ''small'', doesn't look too baggy. Fingers crossed.

Looking at these pics reminds me more of someone's halloween attempt rather than "official" replica. The scorpion seems sized a tad small, the cuffs are just plain wrong and awful. I mean, even in the pics the ribbed material just looks cheap. I got refunded two days after a cancelled it and everytime I check back in here, I keep getting happier and happier that I did. Now only if Magnoli would post some pics of his!!!

Steady jacket is not that bad. I think they did excellent job on the scorpion and white satin is exactly the same used in the jacket from the movie. Yes, they should use different brown fabric and put diamond pattern on top of scorpion but inside lining is really nice.
It doesn't look like a cheep Halloween attempt.

I just noticed that diamond stitching in this M jacket looks way off. It does overlap.
I got L and diamond stitching is actually pretty accurate.

I'm waiting for Magonli to show us his creation. Especially the black one.

Last edited:
After a month of waiting, I FINALLY got the jacket!!!! I am going to tell you the good and the bad about this jacket. BAD: (1) After waiting for a month for GGR to ship it, Canada Post charged me $27.08 in taxes and handling fees. GOOD (1) Despite the long wait it looks AMAZING. Well worth the wait. GOOD & BAD I am a white built like an Asian, which means I am skinny. My large jacket fits snug like a shirt as opposed to a jacket. It fits GREAT on me. It's like a snug soccer jersey. If you don't like snug fitting clothes, I recommend you order one size bigger than your fit because you can't wear hoodies underneath it. BAD (3) The cuffs are flimsy and they should have been made rigged like the original. GOOD (3) For all you people, that cancelled your orders, you made a BIG mistake. It's the coolest jacket ever and people are going to be envious of your jacket. I'll post pics later

Very nice, I would have to see the entire jacket. The stitching of the scorpion seems a bit thick, but it may look really good. I can't wait to see how it looks in the end.

I just looked closer at the embroidery on a jacket from the film and the stitching of the embroidery is far less large. Much of your embroidery looks to have a corduroy quality to it while the real embroidery seems to have very fine stitching. I could be wrong, but take a look:
drive-steady-41.jpg

This is already the third iteration, so this might be the best we can do. The first one the embroidery looked too "flat" so I wanted a bit more texture. As for the colors, I've been tweaking this as well, the first lot was too orange and not enough contrast, the second had way too much contrast (the shadow looking quite brown), so this final version is quite nice to see after those previous attempts. In any case, I'll see what else can be done... and hopefully I'll have some photos of the quilt stitching on top soon too.

Hey Indy is there a way to get the embroidery to look more thready like the original? A little hard to explain but the original looks almost like if you can move the thread with your fingers as if the thread in the embroidery has some play to it. Would this be possible to achieve somehow? Also I circled what stands out to me.
DriveS1.jpg

If you look at the left side the second arm down is a bit to close to the big arm where in the original you can see there is more of a gap to it. Also the ears or horns looks to be a bit too fat, the top right claw I notice there is no contrast color there on the original. The color seems to be a bit off but it could be the lighting. Anyway I still think its looks good but if you are still looking to do changes this is what I would try to fix. Maybe there is a way you can scan the original from the high res screen used jacket pic and fix the proportions in Photoshop and use that as your vector? That way you can have the outline of the original scorpion.

I also noticed a lot difference between Indy's scorpion and original scorpion.

I think Steady scorpion is actually very close or even the same to the one from the movie.
Indy if you want I can trace original scorpion for you in Illustrator.

p.s. I'm a graphic designer.

I have a question for anyone who has a steady jacket. Is the color of the lining of the pockets brown, or the same as the cream color of the jacket?

I ask because i have seen in movie shots that it is cream but the jacket displayed on The Golden Closet(with the blood) has a brown lining in the pockets. Just noticed this but I dont know what I like better.

Indy, my wife works in the fashion industry, I told her to look at the difference in the scorpion image above, she says that the movie one is using floss to embroider, which makes it look soft and shiny, The one on the left looks a bit stiffer, is it also Floss? or another type of thread?

The jacket does look good but the color is off. Looks a bit too white Indy. The jacket in the film definitely looks to be a mix of white/gold. I look forward to seeing the complete product!

Indy, my wife works in the fashion industry, I told her to look at the difference in the scorpion image above, she says that the movie one is using floss to embroider, which makes it look soft and shiny, The one on the left looks a bit stiffer, is it also Floss? or another type of thread?

I googled this and it sure looks the part. Embroidery floss deff looks like what they would use considering this jacket was inspired by old Korean souvenir jackets. I hope there is a way to do it that way, it looks so much better.

I am glad you're open to so much feedback Magnoli because I am counting on you to release the definitive version of this jacket!!!!!

Also, do you have a creamier satin than that? more like the above photo of the original?

Just to to let everyone know, jackets used in the movie are slightly different. I also noticed that the scorpions are a little bit different on some of them. So far I noticed 2 versions of the scorpion but there is only one difference between them - it's just one leg on the left side. Indy scorpion looked sort of fat because he probably traced/used movie pics as a reference - everything appears much wider.

Any idea of what the name is of this style of embroidery (the actual technique or style, not the thread)? We're ready to do a final tweak, but want to get this next one perfect... we've already poured a lot into these prototypes as it is.

Thanks,
Indy

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back