The Place Beyond the Pines (2013,RYAN GOSLING OUTFITS)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by joelgoodson, Nov 8, 2011.

1. joelgoodson

joelgoodson Well-Known Member

Hi, I know the movie hasn't come out yet, but it sounds awesome and in the same vein as DRIVE. Once again, Erin Benach is the costume designer.

Synopsis:
    motorcycle stunt rider considers committing a crime in order to provide for his wife and child, an act that puts him on a collision course with a cop-turned-politician.

Thus, I'm currently slowly trying to come up with the different costumes. So far I got the Metallica shirt, and cut the collar just like the one in the movie.

[​IMG]

Overtime I will also be looking for the leather pants, boots as well as this jacket :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. shanegrohl

shanegrohl Active Member

Keep us updated!

3. jonnytrooper

jonnytrooper Well-Known Member

I posted this over on filmjackets.com, but I figured I'd post it here as well.

The jacket is from Firstgear (Hein Gericke). The pants are from International Baggyz. The helmet is a matte black Bell MX1 with the visor and decals removed. The white/grey jeans are from Ralph Lauren, but I don't know if they're from a previous or current production, and I haven't been able to find them.

Beware of a subtle variation on the jacket from Firstgear. You want to look for the one with elasticized cuffs that have zip and snaps. Jacket:

Pants which were actually purchased from this store:

Retro 1980s Pants: 80s deadstock vintage -International Baggys- Mens black and white cotton skull and crossbone print totally 80s pants with two inset hip pockets and enough sass to get you into even the most prestigious of dive bars. Imagine hopping

Helmet:

Bell - MX-1 Matte Black Helmet - BTO Sports

Also, here's his Metallica Ride The Lightning T-Shirt with graphics on the front and back:

Vintage METALLICA Tshirt/ ORIGINAL1989/ 1987 by sweetVTGtshirt ... pe=vintage

I have plenty of reference images if anyone needs any.

ameliewincheste likes this.
  4. jonnytrooper

Again, I posted this over on filmjackets.com, but I'll post it here as well:

Here's an update:

Today I received the jacket from the link I posted earlier:

There were two versions of this jacket made. The company on ebay has two separate listings; one with pictures of the correct jacket and one with pictures of the incorrect jacket. The one pictured in the auction above is the correct one. In actuality, they're sold out of the correct one. It was just a mix up on their end. It's still a great jacket, and seeing how it fits me well, and I'm not sure if I'll come across the correct one in my size in such good (NWT) condition, I'm thinking about keeping it. Anyway, just thought I'd keep anyone who's interested up to date on it. Let me know if anyone comes across any other pieces from the film.

5. ruste

ruste New Member

I can't tell by the picture but is that a side zipper like the one in the film?..and what size are you, because I was tempted to buy it but the jacket being in women's threw me off

6. jonnytrooper

They're actually vents, but yes it has two in the front like the movie. Like I stated above, the picture is of the correct jacket, but they're out of stock, so they'll send you the variation. The features that make it incorrect are:

No black corduroy lining on collar
    No exterior snap pockets
    Horizontal seam on back is on the upper back instead of mid back
    Back zippers half the length they should be
    Only zippers on cuffs instead of zippers, elastic and snaps
    No horizontal seam across arms
    No shoulder stitching (sort of like raglan)

The jacket fits me well. I'm a slim 36R with a 29in waist. The sleeves are short, but not comically, there's just no gathering at the wrists. It's a snug but not uncomfortable fit. Theres quite a bit of room in the chest because it's intended for women, but it doesn't look strange. It's quite snug at the waist because of the elastic, and it wears a bit high in the back. I think a 38 might be hard pressed to fit into it, but it's just right for me. If you don't mind spending the extra money, there's a medium of the SA version on Etsy:

Vintage 80s Hein Gericke red leather cafe racer style by antique

Let me know if you have any other questions.

7. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks Active Member

8. jonnytrooper

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  9. ruste

ruste New Member

So I just ordered the jacket off of etsy cause its such a good match (and bigger since I'm lean and 6'2) but ill let you guys know when I get it and post pics

Thanks Johnny by the way

10. jonnytrooper

That's great ruste! Congratulations! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

11. jonnytrooper

Here's the one I have. Again, it's not the correct one. I think this jacket was called the 'California ll' and the correct one was the earlier version called the 'California', but I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ruste

ruste New Member

So the one off etsy would have been the 'California'?

And yeah now I see what you meant when you said the back vents didnt extend

13. jonnytrooper

Ruste, I believe that's correct. You definitely got the correct one either way.

14. jonnytrooper

A size Large of the SA jacket is on ebay:

Also, I saw the movie today. It was incredible. I'll leave it at that.

15. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

Good work Jonny! I'm desperately after one myself...whats the colour like in person? Please let me know if you notice any others pop up online, the one on ebay wont deliver to the uK :(

16. jonnytrooper

Thanks Tommy! It's a pretty potent red in person. I think the pictures of me in the mirror are a pretty accurate representation. What size are you after?

17. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

Well I'm 6ft, well built, 34" waist so I guess a large? Yeah it looks really vibrant! Hopefully if i get my hands on one I'll beat it up a bit! haha :)

Cheers again

18. jonnytrooper

This one may be your best bet:

It's the version I have (the non-SA one) but it's your size, a pretty good price and they ship worldwide. It's possible that as more people begin to know what this is, the prices might get higher. I'm very happy with mine, although I am keeping my eyes peeled for the correct one in my size.

19. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

Just ordered that one mate! Really excited to see it...going to have to see if i can weather it a bit though i think! Cheers again Jonny

20. jonnytrooper

Not a problem! Keep us posted on the weathering. I've considered it, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

21. ruste

ruste New Member

Is it just me or is it now impossible to find any hein gericke jackets..still trying to find one in my size..saw one on eBay for 44 and as I was buying it had sold crazy

How's your search going Johnny

22. jonnytrooper

It is difficult to find them now. But I think we'll continue to see them pop up on ebay every now and then. I'm still searching, but I'm happy with mine regardless. Ruste, didn't you get that medium on Etsy? Did it not work out? Here's a picture of what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  23. ruste

ruste New Member

I did, but it was just too small in the back and in the sleeves.. I figure if I'm gonna pay 250 it mine as well fit. Yeah I got the skull pants too, and I found the leather pants..heir also hein gericke and they're vintage 80s..also I'm pretty sure the boots are toe cap boots from the vintage collection from doc martens.. I already happened to have a pair of 1490 from the vintage and they look great with the pants.

24. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

Nice collection Jonny! I ordered a 44 jacket too and they got back to me saying they only have 42 so i hope it fits...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  25. jonnytrooper

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  26. ruste

ruste New Member

Yeah I do thinking about returning and already called the store to see if I could, might hold onto it though since its so hard to fine it.
    and yeah those are the boots I was talking about online they're sold out but I found them in store.

- - - Updated - - -

And awsome find tommy it took me forever to find them myself. Are you gonna bid?

27. ruste

ruste New Member

If you guys were smart I'd delete the post with the link, that is if you wanna get them cause there are to s of other people going through the posts (which makes a lot of competition lol)

28. jonnytrooper

Good thinking. Tommy?

29. jonnytrooper

Check it out:

30. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

Link deleted, if anyone has any leads on the jacket in large please drop me a PM?

Nice find on the newspaper prop! and no the leather pants are too small for me

31. ruste

ruste New Member

that paper is a pretty great find. And yeah I will if I come across any larges up for bid on eBay cause I'm still looking for one too

32. ruste

ruste New Member

33. ruste

ruste New Member

Also forgot to mention that I think the jeans are Ralph Lauren since the costume designer kind of noted it; I'm pretty sure he dyed them and dirtied them up including the little rips at the knee-I think they're the white optic jeans from 8 seasons ago

34. jonnytrooper

Good work, Ruste. I know the costume designer said the jeans were Ralph Lauren, but why do you think they're that specific pair, and do you have any pictures? Also he wore two vintage t shirts, both inside out, one of them is blue and says "SPAG'S' (a store in Massachusetts) which he wore when they were talking about how they would rob the banks, and the other one is white and got quite a bit of screen time and it says "HOT ROD" on the front and back along with either text or graphics that I couldn't make out. He also wore a sleeveless (not short sleeve with the sleeves cut off) white t shirt under his coveralls. I have this one, but I couldn't say whether or not it's the correct one, although I can say that the stitching on the sleeve opening is the same:

Amazon.com: Augusta Sportswear Men's Sleeveless Crewneck Jersey, White, Medium: Clothing

Also here's the hoodie I got. It's certainly close, but it'd be difficult to say if it's the exact same.

Amazon.com: Hooded Pullover Sweat Shirt Heavy Blend 50/50 - Black 18500 M: Clothing

And his bandana:

Amazon.com: Bandanas - Forest Green Paisley Bandana #5: Clothing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  35. ruste

ruste New Member

I think they're the optic whites cause of the fit most other Ralph Lauren jeans and collections have a looser fit a lot more old school preppy. The black label collection is known for their slimmer fitting design.

36. ruste

ruste New Member

Did anyone one of you on here win the hondaline pants

37. jonnytrooper

It wasn't me. I put a bid in early on but they weren't my size anyway. Hopefully I'll run across a size 30 some day.

38. Drivr

Drivr Member

I put in the second highest bid... somehow some jackass crept in in the last 10 seconds. I was *. oh well. I mean i guess they werent for me. sucks tho-bad!

39. ruste

ruste New Member

40. jonnytrooper

^Seems shady. The picture they have is from the auction of the screen used jacket. And it's a little fast to have reproductions already. I also noticed the photos they have of their Drive jacket are actually pictures of the jacket from Steady. I'd be careful.

41. ruste

ruste New Member

I agree I just thought I'd let you guys know..and in their description they get the back wrong

42. TroyE523

TroyE523 New Member

Nice! This looks really interesting. Looking forward to the end result, been considering doing a DRIVE cosplay for a while now. Not so sure I want to drop the money for the jacket just yet though. Might need to brush up on my sewing if I want to make one from scratch, haha.

43. ruste

ruste New Member

Hey if you're considering doing drive you should check out Steady Clothing; they had one of the first replicas, I have it and its pretty spot on

44. TroyE523

TroyE523 New Member

Awesome- just checked it out. Really decent price for a jacket as well. I'll have to consider it, it looks almost identical really...

45. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

Finally received my jacket today! The same as Jonny's...and I completely agree its a very good buy! Also a very good fit (I bought a 42, when in actual fact im a 44, 6ft, 34" waist). A little short on the back but not ridiculous. From the front it looks virtually the same as the real one in the film! Im very pleased :)

46. jonnytrooper

Glad to hear it!

47. tommyhoward

tommyhoward New Member

I messaged the guys at slimfitjackets, and this is the Jacket they have made to be bought directly from their site, available now! If anyone orders would be great to see photos of it in action :)

070.JPG

48. jonnytrooper

Now that all of the skull pants are sold out, we have this budding entrepreneur on ebay. Over twice what they retailed for, and yesterday they had 10 available, today they have 2 and say they have very limited quantities. Meaning there's more incentive to snag a pair if there's only 2 left, then once those are gone they'll put another 2 up for sale. I understand that it's just business, but I can't stand when people do it with movie memorabilia. Like how a Tom Ford tie that Craig wore in Quantum of Solace can sell for $900. Drives me crazy.

End rant.

49. Drivr

Drivr Member

ALRIGHT GUYS CHECK THIS **** OUT?!!

Speaks for itself... Oddly overpriced but hey pretty legit.

50. jonnytrooper

Very cool, but isn't it kind of overkill that Gosling signed it? I mean... he road it in the movie, isn't that enough? lol