DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Oh awesome! Does that work with the guns themselves too? (Solid Denixes)

This was in regard to using aluminum black...my iPod deleted my auto quote...

Yes.

if you do use AB on you aluminum machined parts, you need to disrupt the surface first. Although the parts are not going to be highly polished, most machinist get the surface to a nice smooth finish. The AB tends to repel from it. So you need you do some light abrasions to the surface with a fine steel wool or high grit wet automotive sandpaper. If you prep the surface well, the AB may make the surface go black immediately, if not keep following the directions and reapply till you get the level of darkness you want. Don't over apply in one try in an attempt to make it black as it can just creat a shell which can chip away rather than darkening the surface. If you are going for a light weathering like on the outside of the muzzle, simply steel wool the black until it leaves the desired look.

Here are some examples of my use of AB on metal tags, muzzles, knobs,emitters. The Return of the Jedi Saber is completely done with AB.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.jpg
    IMG_2224.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 216
  • newobiemitter.jpg
    newobiemitter.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 141
  • v2wip.jpg
    v2wip.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
That is one of the most comprehensive and helpful introductions to this material, thank you!

I will absolutely have to get some :)
Yes.

if you do use AB on you aluminum machined parts, you need to disrupt the surface first. Although the parts are not going to be highly polished, most machinist get the surface to a nice smooth finish. The AB tends to repel from it. So you need you do some light abrasions to the surface with a fine steel wool or high grit wet automotive sandpaper. If you prep the surface well, the AB may make the surface go black immediately, if not keep following the directions and reapply till you get the level of darkness you want. Don't over apply in one try in an attempt to make it black as it can just creat a shell which can chip away rather than darkening the surface. If you are going for a light weathering like on the outside of the muzzle, simply steel wool the black until it leaves the desired look.

Here are some examples of my use of AB on metal tags, muzzles, knobs,emitters. The Return of the Jedi Saber is completely done with AB.

Yeah, not trying to be a dick, but I read the thread last night. Both of them. I said it had no pistons in the post above.

I wasn't going for a comprehensive differences post between the two. Perhaps I was unclear in the above post I was only asking for verification on the left side greebles on the Han Bespin were correct, because it seemed that nobody was dead on sure that those were indeed the legit details.

To be comprehensive this is what I got.

Bespin Luke:
Real Mauser
Hole in safety
Distributor part above the trigger
No pistons
Notched ring M19
Large front scope bolt

Bespin Han:
Real Mauser
No pistons
Moto coil
Cut up Moto coil above trigger
Possible hex bolt
Full ring M19
Normal scope bolts

No one KNOWS for sure the left side greeblies on the Han or Luke. From what I can see there's only the one distributor piece (if it IS the distributor piece) above the trigger on Luke's blaster. No motor coil.

on Han's there's no conclusive evidence that there's ANYTHING on the left at all. I imagine it's in the realm of making sense that they'd be similar though.

Last edited:
No one KNOWS for sure the left side greeblies on the ban or Luke. From what I can see there's only the one distributor piece above the trigger on Luke's blaster. No motor coild

on Han's there's no conclusive evidence that there's ANYTHING on the left at all. If imagine it's in the realm of making sense that they'd be similar though.

Now that is helpful. Thank you.

I'm willing to bet that the gun that Han pulled on Vader on Bespin is all resin, hence why it looks different. It would make sense for it to be resin to reduce the chances of damage to the set and actors. They did have several guns around they probably cast Luke's and used it as the stunt. Or maybe it's a completely different gun. I wonder how many new Han DL-44's are going to be in TFA.

Great tips on aluminum black. I'll definitely be weathering mine.

I'm willing to bet that the gun that Han pulled on Vader on Bespin is all resin, hence why it looks different. It would make sense for it to be resin to reduce the chances of damage to the set and actors. They did have several guns around they probably cast Luke's and used it as the stunt. Or maybe it's a completely different gun. I wonder how many new Han DL-44's are going to be in TFA.

Great tips on aluminum black. I'll definitely be weathering mine.

you know you are on to something... depending on when exactly that picture was taken of han firing.... the gun is changed in and out... is han firing his blaster, then the crew pulls his gun out, inserts lukes gun into his hand, then fires lukes and drops lukes? this can be seen at 1:02 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XgTyBzWZ0

pay attention to when the doors open, we dont see any smoke come from out of hans blaster, but when the crew goes to exchange blasters, you can see the gun has been fired because of the hammer(slide what ever its called) is open, protruding out the back of the gun

handl44_1.png

ok so maybe i should have done this in the first place, both yellow arrows are pointing to the hammers on both guns. what is the part that the blue arrow is pointing at? i think that part is the part you pull back to reload the gun.

just found a video of scotts right at the beginning you can see what im talking about, the "hammer" or "slide" is extended out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbJlbVLBj0Q

does that mean han fired that first blaster? if so i think we can say in the vader scene han is using both his and lukes live fires

My theory is they used BOTH live fires in that scene. Here's why:

With the way the scope mount bracket is threaded into the magazines, I'm thinking that they could ONLY load 2-3 rounds max to fire since the bolt holding the mount on would prevent the follower and mag spring from compressing much. So he DID fire the first shots... then they swapped to Luke's blaster (or Han's) for the close up camera, which he fired, then dropped onto a cushion...

Then crew THREW the resin stunt into the sheet for the flying cut... then vader catches resin copies.

So that one scene probably used ALL the stunts and two live fires. PERHAPS... one of the vader catch stunts was the Hoth version???? Probably not since they would want him to catch something light.

Yes - just watched that video - they had one blank per gun. Han used both love fires in that scene.

Also, they had many resin ones to toss at Vader :)

It really looks like they used every blaster they had in that scene. Don't forget about the over the shoulder shot as well. That's not shown in the clip.

It really looks like they used every blaster they had in that scene. Don't forget about the over the shoulder shot as well. That's not shown in the clip.

I didn't even think of that one!!

So its safe to say Han used both his in and Luke's for that scene

yup. And if you guys remember the only other time a live fire was FIRED was in the space slug scene. Just one shot that we SEE was live fire blank.

Here's a quick attempt at the Bespin knob I turned out on the tiny lathe. Minus the knurling, of course!

uploadfromtaptalk1442775532429.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442775544291.jpg

That looks too thick, is the overall thickness .250 or thicker?

Is the flat area .150 tall and the beveled area .100

Did you go with a 60 degree bevel

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back