DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Boba Debt, Dec 6, 2014.

1. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

haha yea, I think it also fires a big laser on it's own during the battle and even as a kid I didn't understand that part.

Also, those bumps look like screw heads to me on the buckle. That's why I was intrigued! the bottom screw looks misaligned.

2. chubsANDdoggers

chubsANDdoggers Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mystery no longer!! Anyone else have or seen this picture before??

317dcdcf9f59d63c0a25694e8e064efc.jpg

Before I reveal what’s under that smile I’m going to design it up and build this bad boy!

3. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

5. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

But that seems to be Luke´s life firing C96...did it have identical details as Han´s Hoth blaster at some point???

VERY curious and awaiting the reveal!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

8. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

scottjua and teecrooz like this.
  9. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's the hoth blaster. Since it was in Norway it was the only one there. The Live fires never left the UK.

Field Marshall and halliwax like this.
  10. OdiWan72

thanks for clarification Scott!

I think it´s just old bakelite radio knob glued to the disc

Field Marshall likes this.
  11. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  12. chubsANDdoggers

That’s it! That didnt take to long.

And as scott mentioned it’s most definitely the HOTH blaster. You can clearly make out the flash hider as well. Nice work fellas

13. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

Do you think it's possible that the disc came from the back of the knob? Also, any ideas on which radio?

14. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know it's probably not but it looks a drawer pull knob.

15. mptachenko

mptachenko Active Member

I'm into old amps, radios and the like and knobs don't have bases like what we see left on the Hoth blaster. The potentiometer that the knob mounts to does not attach like that. It makes more sense that the knob was just glued to the scope bracket to cover the screws. The prop department did a bunch of glueing of random stuff to make things look more fancy and space age. That also explains what we think of as the glue residue on the brass disc.

newmagrathea likes this.
  16. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

So do you have any guesses on what I'm assuming is a knob from which radio model?

17. Mara Jade's Father

I cannot really see the whole shape of the knob. I assumed the knob's base is just the right size to fit into the inset and left the yellow glue residue.

But what are we seeing?

It is a knob with a stem/pedestal something like this:

[​IMG]

Or is it cylindrical and something like this:

[​IMG]

These are just rough examples in order to convey my thoughts/questions.

18. mptachenko

mptachenko Active Member

As the previous Mara Jade's Father says "But what are we seeing?"
    It is hard to even tell what the shape of it is.
    I do know that Telefunken was a very popular European Radio company but we still don't know for sure if it is even a radio knob. Who would have thought that that the greeblies on the ANH blaster would have come from an airplane model or V8 engine model!

19. chubsANDdoggers

This is what I see..[​IMG][​IMG]

It’s obviously not 100% clear by any means but it’s there. Just not sure if it looks like this..[​IMG]
    Or this..[​IMG]

I’ve also made it so it slides right on and covers the disk completely..[​IMG]

Here is some more pics I’ve gathered..[​IMG][​IMG]

And yes for all u metal gods FM will be making similar ones as well. Golden age of Star Wars we are living in

20. ALLEY

Funny enough...I prefer the version of the "Hoth DL-44" in its current state in which this large doofus knob greeblie has fallen off.

Weird, I know.

scottjua likes this.
  21. mptachenko

mptachenko Active Member

Not weird. I agree! The knob looks clumsy. The Thorens disc exposed looks more elegant and interesting. It even looks more thought out as an attachment for the scope mount.

I think the coolest ESB DL-44 would have been the Bespin flash hider with the Thorens disc scope mount and the notched light ring M-19 scope!

22. thd9791

Wait, how did the exposed plate get the ring of black paint? There is only glue residue in the center of the disc.

23. ALLEY

It looks to me like the knob fits inside the center circle of the disc, just inside the perimeter ring that contains the mounting screw heads. I can barely see what appears to be one of the screw heads butted up against the outside perimeter of the knob greeblie on the lower right hand side of the knob.

Forgive the crudeness of these approximations to illustrate what I am describing as the approximate diameter of the greeblie knob sitting inside the mounting screw ring on the disc (below):

IMG_0755.JPG

I imagine with only glue holding the knob greeblie onto the disc, that the knob survived only a few pulls out of out of a holster before the glue (like the glue on the lightsaber t-track) failed and the greeblie knob flew off into the snow.

The original knob greeblie is probably still buried in the snow in Norway :)

Attached Files:

scottjua and thd9791 like this.
  24. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ding ding ding.... this is what I see as well. Maybe not quite as small, but it DOES look like those screw heads are poking out there on the circumference of the doofus knob.

I also don't see that mega chamfer.

I dub thee greeblie henceforth shall be called "doofus knob" ^_^ thy creator of thine name is Alley...

veektohr, thd9791 and halliwax like this.
  25. ALLEY

I am honored sir! :)

veektohr, halliwax and scottjua like this.
  26. mptachenko

mptachenko Active Member

2nd.
    Yes, the "doofus" knob!

scottjua and halliwax like this.
  27. chubsANDdoggers

Here you get a better idea of just how big it actually is. Certainly it can’t be smaller than the mystery disk itself. The circumference looks to be close to the same size as the front of the m19 scope .. ?? ef480856dbae50e191501697bed5342d.jpg 6a76afb90fa7135f6a0cb2a1f05591aa.jpg 71db4913cc710b599278b5ad792b1343.jpg 58ff413fdf0b60a8da6242e002494b6e.jpg 47fef9cfe50e01532f695db70d409158.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Field Marshall likes this.
  28. Mara Jade's Father

I do not believe that the clarity of the image makes your outline the only possibility. I still think that it might be a knob with a narrow base such as an option I posted prior.

i think the the large head of the knob accounts for the large size we see from angles but a narrower base would allow it to sit in the center within the screws.

i also think that it explains why there is paint on the outer rim of the three-screw plate and not inside. I think everything was assembled first then painted. When the knob fell off, it left glue residue with no paint underneath.

at least that is my take.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  29. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

Makes sense, they would have glued it indoors where it's warm and then taken it outside in the cold and the temperature difference would cause the different materials to shrink at different rates.

30. OdiWan72

Your model is looking just like a COMPAC windage knob cover

31. chubsANDdoggers

Maybe I’m thinking ya. They also made an appearance in EMPIRE on Boba’s EE-3 so the prop department did have them lying around. ??

32. ALLEY

Hmmmm....

...a windage knob cover (of some type) as the doofus knob may be on the right track:

IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0757.JPG

It may have required filing/grinding/cutting out small slots in the windage knob cover base to accommodate the scope mount screw heads, thus allowing the screw heads to "peak out" around the perimeter edge of the knob cover, as some of use are seeing in the production photograph.

This would be similar to the cut outs made in the v-8 pistons to accommodate the scope bracket mounting screw ends sticking out on the other side.

Good eye Odiwan!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    halliwax likes this.
  33. chubsANDdoggers

Yes good eye Obiwan!

It’s probably the same or similar knob that u also see on boba’s Blaster as well as on the GK. I’ve got one coming in the mail that I designed to fit right over the mystery plate covering everything up. I’ll share what it looks like once it arrives.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  34. chubsANDdoggers

Speaking of HOTH blasters here is one I’m currently working on.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  35. chubsANDdoggers

Almost finished..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

halliwax likes this.
  36. chubsANDdoggers

Here it is finished on a partially modified denix..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

37. thd9791

nice work on the FH!

38. chubsANDdoggers

Thank you thd9791!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    el toro likes this.
  39. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a question - how does it work with the flash hider and the sight. Do you have to remove the front sight or is that hidden inside the flash hider?

40. thd9791

You'd have to remove the sight, in order to slide the FH on like a sleeve

41. chubsANDdoggers

Depends on the build and who’s parts ur using. For my HOTH design (pictured in previous post/and directly below) I have it so u just cut the barrel off right after the sight and the FH slides into place nice and snug. [​IMG]

But for my BESPIN I have two options. One that’s just like this HOTH Blaster (slides into place and the details on the front simulate the barrel coming through) or where u only cut off the sight only and the FH slides into place. WITH the front of the actual Mauser sticking out as pictured here..[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  42. chubsANDdoggers

This is what I see. Hard to truly know if it’s has groves or not but my guess is that it does (similar to Fett’s EMPIRE blaster) Thoughts?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

43. JLinNY

JLinNY Well-Known Member

Chubs that looks pretty neat. I just went back and looked at the pic of Luke holding that blaster, I am pretty sure you can see the screw heads though.

44. chubsANDdoggers

Thanks man. It’s obviously very subjective but I’ve looked at it long and hard myself. I’ve zoomed in on it and even have played with the exposer. I only see what I’ve drawn up but obviously the pic is not the clearest and again it’s subjective. Also apparently there is better (or at least more) pictures out there but the people who have them are not sharing [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  45. thd9791

Yea, that's a tough photo to work with.

I personally see two light bumps in the exact positions of the screws around the edge of our mystery knob. One at the top and the one closest to us on the bottom

46. Mara Jade's Father

Yes, that is sort of what I think i have been seeing too.

I think the shape is similar (not exactly) to this:

[​IMG]

I think it is a knob that was glued to the center of the disk. Not a knob that covered the disk. Then they painted the blaster and that is why there is paint on the outside rim of the disk but not the center and why there is what appears to be a goldish color glue residue in the center.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  47. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

It could be snow stuck on it creating those bumps. There is snow on the scope.

48. SpeedRacerx

SpeedRacerx Active Member

While my opinion doesn't really matter, I see this mystery cover being the scope lens cap from one of the many WWII scopes most likely laying around the prop department at the time. Maybe even a camera lens cap. At least thats what I sort of see when I look at this picture...

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 8.32.41 PM.png

49. Hecubus114

Hecubus114 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I may be alone in this, but every time I look at the picture, I see this shape:

dlknob.jpg

SpeedRacerx and halliwax like this.
  50. SpeedRacerx

SpeedRacerx Active Member

Crank that volume knob to "11".