DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Boba Debt, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

This looks like a good job, my only advice would be to try and match it to the single available high quality photo from the exhibition to get it just right, even if it contradicts the measurements I gave.

BTW, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cWj6q_bZ8

should give you an idea of some of the weird stuff in this exhibition. 10% real props, 40% very badly made fake props, 50% fan art (including a twi-lek nude painting)

Also pause on the macrobinoculars, might be useful?

The exhibition featured in the press a lot, but I have been too lazy to search the Japanese internet much more yet (where the good press pics came from)

google/twitter/youtube
    スター・ウォーズ展
    スターウォーズ展

and
    スターウォーズビジョン

to see if you can dig anything else up! (all of those say star wars visions)

thd9791 likes this.
  2. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks man
    Also forgot the Barbican Vader saber is there. cool cause it has MPP parts, weird because it isnt seen in any movie :lol

3. thd9791

Trying to replicate all 3 sets of pics, a little flat black paint pen, a washer that fit between all three screws to mask the paint....some sandpaper, toothpicks and JB weld to make the grey goop....plan on adding epoxy to make the yellowish crap!

Attached Files:

newmagrathea and halliwax like this.
  4. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks great Tom! :thumbsup

5. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

It's looking good. The spacer may be just a bit thinner than that, it does look really high - but that's what I thought when I saw it for real anyway. You can recreate the exhibition pic by standing back and zooming in to remove camera distortion and really get forensic with the positioning to see if the spacer size does need adjusting.

The screwheads you've used look a little bit different, like the sides of them are flat - in the pic it looks a bit more domed (like a ball of dough - not sure of this screw head's name) - also maybe slightly smaller in head diameter, what do you think? It is about making the paint excluded circle be the same diameter as the reference.

There was flat grey adhesive/putty etc flush with the surface and the yellow staining literally looked like dried up ketchup stains.

[​IMG]

At this point if whatever you end up with matches the image perfectly (measurements wise) it is better to use your discovered measurements than my eyeball measurements from the time.

thd9791 likes this.
  6. thd9791

I love this.

I'm going to try and back up and zoom in to get a more accurate picture, no idea why i hadn't thought of that lol

and you're absolutely right about the screws, there were screws like that used on a lot of electronic equipment back then (ampliiers, calculators to name a few) and I have yet to find some lol

I applied JB weld to the center of the circle which dries to that grey lego color - and I'm going to find some poor epoxy that dries yellow/brown and dab that on too, thanks!

7. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hate to bring this up again but looking at this picture the disk does not look thick

It looks more like a thin disk spaced away from the bracket more.

[​IMG]

I don't see a solid side edge in the areas indicated with dots

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. thd9791

It's okay,

Other than what Mortifactor said, here's what I'm seeing.

In both these pictures there's a faint line that looks like the continuation of the plate/disc edge. The first one is where that pale curvy part on the bracket gets cut off, approaching the disc...it especially also has a shadow of the thicker disc laying on the bracket. The second photo has a faint grey line, parallel with the upper edge of the disc trailing away on the right.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 10.26.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 10.25.58 PM.png

granted this is blurry as hell - but we're at a loss for physical info. Many times the props we make have verbal confirmation, and for now this may be one of those times.

Also, the closest edge of the disc is lacking paint, making me doubly sure the edges are an optical illusion, based on it all being sprayed with black paint.

Edit: also, since I'm working on a custom bit based on these photos, it's apparent to me you really nailed these parts :lol like the bracket was my basis for making my custom disc from scratch, because of how accurate it is

9. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The NOT Thorens disc piece of metal is almost exactly the same thickness as the bracket. I can't put calipers on the real metal in person of course, but what I have in reference (very clear HUGE images, up close) shows them to be nearly identical. 1/8th" stock.

redbutton, newmagrathea and thd9791 like this.
  10. thd9791

The stock I used was 3.2 mm Aluminum, but I got it from the recycle bin of a local metal shop, so it is basically 1/8" stock. The bracket from the ESB run is literally 3.07 mm from my last reading, and the more I stare at what I have, and the Japan pictures, the more I like it. The rounded bottom edge of our brackets is the only difference I see.

(Thanks Scott)

11. chubsANDdoggers

chubsANDdoggers Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    russellsch, CT1138 and cjchiu like this.
  12. chubsANDdoggers

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  13. chubsANDdoggers

This is still my old scope. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. thd9791

A little something to keep this thread active. While waiting for the Boba Debt / Think Jedi scopes I painted up a adamata scope casting, including installed brass screws in front.

Attached Files:

newmagrathea and redbutton like this.
  15. redbutton

redbutton Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I helped a we bit.. Came out so cool, guess I have to build one now.

thd9791 likes this.
  16. chubsANDdoggers

This looks awesome

thd9791 likes this.
  17. chubsANDdoggers

That picture looks great as well

russellsch, redbutton and halliwax like this.
  18. thd9791

Thanks! Chubs I'm a big fan of your paint/finishing work, especially weathering.

19. chubsANDdoggers

Much appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. chubsANDdoggers

spacer and FH.. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russellsch likes this.
  21. el toro

el toro Well-Known Member

Here's another photo from the Japanese exhibit. I've attached both the original photo as well as a version that I lightened up.
    DSC00351-1024x681 copy.jpg DSC00351-1024x681.jpg

thd9791, ataru72ita and newmagrathea like this.
  22. chubsANDdoggers

I haven't seen this pic just yet! Thanks for sharing

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  23. chubsANDdoggers

I just started some build threads. My first here on RPF in detail. Quite possibly a little redundant for most but I'd still like to share.

I've finished two so far. A full build thread for TFA blaster and a short one on this HOTH scope mount ..

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278441

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  24. thd9791

Don't know how I missed these, thank you!

My "red goop" is way too tall, looks like just a smear flat on the disc

25. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And there's this thicker Thorens disk, which might have been used: (photos enlarged using Perfect Resize)
    TD 124 bearing 002a.png

And this thick disk that might have been placed between the pistol and bracket:
    TD 124 bearing 003a.png

Perhaps there was zinc plating on the thick disk
    (which explains the brass color seen in the framegrabs of Solo firing on the probe droid) that then began to degrade, which leads to the rust color seen in this recent photo:
    blaster DL-44 ESB MGC 21eeee ???????????.png

Info from this website:
    http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/td124page.html#dd

26. scottjua

if the other side is FLAT then it's certainly possible...

The thing people see as a Brass spacer... doesn't look brass to me at all (In fact I can see it very close up and it's NOT brass...but is steel) in my reference... looks stained just like the front disc from glue and rust.

27. chubsANDdoggers

I figured this might be the case but without any real pictures its hard to draw the conclusion. What post are you referencing if you don't mind me asking?

These threads can get very long and it's easy to miss one or two along the way so sorry in advance if I did.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Going by what you mentioned I did a quick repaint with metallic silver and some rustic paint to see what it would look like..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. scottjua

I'm not referencing any post, I'm referencing some private images I have been given access to that were taken at LFL Archives. They're not mine to share, so I can't but I can see most details very clearly.

chubsANDdoggers likes this.
  29. chubsANDdoggers

Oh wow that pretty awesome for you

Always curious as to what LFL actually has on hand and what they don't. Most of these OT blasters (SW & EMPIRE anyhow) were lost to private collectors from my understanding so there isn't much left to draw from.

Thanks for adding this info with regards to the spacer

30. mptachenko

mptachenko Active Member

I am getting started on a Live Fire Luke Hero Bespin build. Does anyone have a better picture or reference for where exactly to place the flash hider on the barrel?
    So far this is the best one I could find.

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=420925&d=1420173619

I have been over this thread and did not see anything specific on this topic and have not found and really good side views.

Thanks

31. thd9791

Basically, mausers have a set barrel length. if you lop off the vertical sight at the tip, you can slide a FH onto the barrel. The barrel tip pokes out about 1/4 inch from the inside surface of the FH cone. Most folks don't need to measure the rear barrel length, instead just sliding it back a little bit from the tip.
    DSCN4000.jpg

32. Mofritz6

Mofritz6 Jr Member

I just purchased both possible greebles that could be on the side of the Luke ESB blaster for $6.80. Any idea how much they're worth(They are original)? BTW, I'm not thinking of selling them. I'll probably hold onto them until I see a cheap M19 scope pop up somewhere, and then I'll get the mauser, flash hider, and bracket and complete the build.

33. thd9791

I'm not really sure of worth. They definitely feel special to me - I saved mine to use on my "live fire Bespin" denix build with a real M19.

That being said, the resin ones are pretty easy to come by and I've heard easy to make (1 part mold) so a lot of people don't spend countless hours searching for a V8 kit.

I accidentally did and have like 1 - 2.1/2 kits :lol

34. Mofritz6

Mofritz6 Jr Member

Are there any M19 scopes currently on sale and in decent condition? I have only seen one on eBay, but it didn't come with the mounting screws and the finish was stripped off of it, and it hasn't been re-listed after it timed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any M19 scopes currently on sale and in decent condition? I have only seen one on eBay, but it didn't come with the mounting screws and the finish was stripped off of it, and it hasn't been re-listed after it timed out.

- - - Updated - - -

35. chubsANDdoggers

Found this pic online. It’s interesting because u can see the mystery “knob” a bit here.. [​IMG]

el toro likes this.
  36. thd9791

that photo amazes me because the disc looks to be the same diameter as what's left over today, which would mean it covered the screws!

37. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

It probably snapped over the top of the disk and was slightly larger diameter so the disk wouldn't be seen at all. No way to prove this of course.

38. thd9791

weird that the disc has paint on it though :behave

39. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

Yeah, it is. It doesn't look like it is the size of that small inner area (where the yellow and grey glue marks are) on the disk in that photo. Didn't someone have a theory about it being a knob from stereo equipment.

40. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just because there is black paint on the disk does not mean that the it was added for the sake of the blaster build. It could have been on the found item. Also, there is no evidence to support either way if the mystery cover was originally a complimentary piece to the disk or if it was just another found item that was stuck over the top.

I have also wondered if the gold coloring on the disc is paint or glue remnants.

Solos blaster likes this.
  41. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

I always thought the goldish color looked like epoxy. There was also some grey stuff stuck to the center that doesn't really show in the pics, and it was also thought to be a glue residue.

Solos blaster likes this.
  42. thd9791

This could be a complete coincidence, but it's the same country, same set. Some of the Hoth troopers have a greeblie on their belt buckle, that looks eerily similar to the Hoth Bracket disc. This would suggest something was glued ontop of the disc..

LFL___1408%u00255B1%u00255D.jpg

I also never looked into that "weapon" that he's carrying, but I'm about to.

This came from finding some Prop Store gloves on google with crazy greeblies, and I noticed the belt buckle soon after.

43. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

EPIC Catch

thd9791 likes this.
  44. thd9791

45. thd9791

The belt buckle made it into Brandon's Star Wars Costumes book, but is not specifically talked about. They don't even mention the V8 model kit when they reference the rank badges.

Just dropped it onto my livingroom floor to flip through and that costume is there!

46. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Could there be some relation between that part and the greeble on the Snowtrooper costume? The general shape lines up as if the sheet metal piece were meant as a cover for that part with the three screws. There's discussion about the part here: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263003

47. chubsANDdoggers

Nice catch but it’s doesn’t seem to appear to stick out far enough to reflect that mystery hoth knob.. [​IMG]But it’s does look very similar to what is on there now..[​IMG]

48. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just don't envision the cap having any sort of indication (raised bumps) of the three fasteners underneath. If the cap was made for the found item to cover the fasteners, then it seems like the cover might try to hide the visual indication of the existence of the fasteners. If the cap is an unrelated item that just happen to fit over the disk to hide the fasteners, then I also would not expect it to have some sort of look of raised bumps. Again, I have no actual evidence just gut feeling.

49. chubsANDdoggers

Ya you would think because just leave it as is if not??

50. Dann

Dann Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The trooper's blaster in that photo is just a Ponda Baba blaster with a Sterling grip. AR7 receiver, mortar fins, etc. Different scope. Can't recall if it's a Singlepoint or not.

Edit: Oh, you must mean the thing that's in his hands? That's a good question! Sorry, I misunderstood. It looks almost like it should be the targeting control device for the satellite dish turret behind him.