DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Boba Debt, Dec 6, 2014.

1. chubsANDdoggers

chubsANDdoggers Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think what ur seeing there is the back of mount itself?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Starchaser

Starchaser New Member

Hey Chubs, While looking at your awesome Hoth build pictures, I noticed the improved look of the Magazine detail on the underside. I checked some other threads and saw how you used the template to create some of the additional detail (mine is on its ways from Shapeways - thanks for uploading there), but how are you getting the look of the “press button” mag release? I have one of your earlier builds with the countersunk hole and was hoping I could upgrade it myself. Can you share how you do it, as I don't see any reference to it other than using the modified Allen key to mark the center position? Thanks.

3. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Guys...the black knob is not covering the philips-screws IMHO.
    You can clearly see the top and lower right screw sitting on the disc with the black knob being attached in the center, NOT overlapping the screws...otherwise the black chipped paint vs. glue residue wouldn´t be explainable ;)

just a scetch done on my phone...(the yellow circle for the top screw ist shifted to the left, sorry)

hoth.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    thd9791 and newmagrathea like this.
  4. chubsANDdoggers

Ya of course! Sorry I guess I didn’t go over that part. It’s a pretty easy solution and it works out really well. I’m constantly trying to improve my builds so when I started modifying this part on the denix.. [​IMG] I realized I had to shorten the bolt that is used to hold the sight down. Otherwise it would be to long and stick out..[​IMG]
    So after I did this I realized I had a little bit left over which would work great as the “press button” on the mag. Using that exact template you got off my shapeways page I found the center and then marked it by using a center punch.

Next I drilled into it using a drill roughly the same size as the bolt. To make the hole bigger around it I used a drill bit like this one.. [​IMG][​IMG]

Here u can see the uncut bolt sitting in the drilled out hole..[​IMG]

Once I know how much to cut off I just make that cut. Make sure to use tape on the small end when cutting or there is a good chance you’ll lose it. Then just use a dab (to much and it will get messy) of epoxy to hold it in place.. [​IMG]

Once finished the bottom of the blaster should looks like this [​IMG]

While the top sight on the denix can also be modified to look like this..[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Here is a link to said mentioned mag plate stencil thread for those that might be interested..

Magazine Release plate ENGRAVER STENCIL

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. chubsANDdoggers

Its definitely possible and I’ve considered this as well but what I think u’re seeing is not the actual screw but snow maybe??

If it was the screw itself if would be directly on top. Not forward and off to the left? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. OdiWan72

Ii IS in the area you marked...I just couldn't draw precisely on my small phone display, when I posted my edited pic, hence my comment about the yellow circle being shifted to the left ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  7. chubsANDdoggers

You mean to the right?? Still tough to see any screw up top. The bottom you can make out a possible screw (maybe snow as well). But it’s anyone guess with this pic so who knows

8. OdiWan72

I agree to DISagree :D

I was the first who said the knurling on the fh was drawn on and nobody shared my opinion...well, I was right *hehe*
    Now I say the -missing- knob is/ was just the size of the inner circle with the 3 screw being visible around the greeblie. The few available reference pictures AND the yellowish "glue residue" in the center of the disc support this theory IMHO :cool

Proof me wrong, happy to be it as long as the discussion brings us closer to nail down the details of the actual prop.

9. chubsANDdoggers

Same. I don’t care about being right, just raising questions while looking for answers.

OdiWan72 likes this.
  10. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well I've been saying for a long time no that the base of the knob only covered the inner part within the screws. However my belief differs is that I think the knob was more of a mushroom shape (stem base and larger head). I'm not staking any money on that. The main reason I was leaning that way was because when you look at the image of Han firing the blaster, the knob seems to have a larger head. May just be an illusion but I'm staying open minded.

OdiWan72 likes this.
  11. Starchaser

Starchaser New Member

Thanks so much for the additional mag plate custom detail and providing the clear pictures I can use as a guide. Your work is inspiring!

chubsANDdoggers likes this.
  12. chubsANDdoggers

Thank you

13. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bugged Boba Debt about some paint problems because my blaster BBQ paint was rubbing off a bit.

I did wet sand it, but not with alcohol! I also didn't heat it up too much - since I wanted the greebles to be painted the same color, and was afraid of melting the plastic!

14. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I use the Rustolium BBQ Black (because it is matte as opposed to Black which is semi gloss). I use a heat gun to heat the parts prior to, during and after they are painted.

I also burnish the paint with cloth rags which gives it a deep luster and removes most of the loose paint.

But I still get some rub off if I handle a part of the blaster that isn't burnished enough.

You can seal the final finish with Testors Matte Clear Coat. It is the most neutral matte clear coat available.

Alcohol is important because the residual alcohol will clean all of the oil from the nooks and crannies.

If you use water the oil will get absorbed into the paint and leach out

Using a heat gun will cure the paint without melting the greeblies, just keep the heat source moving to consistently heat up the area

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    cjchiu and thd9791 like this.
  15. thd9791

thank you! it's cheap paint that is pretty durable and I love it. I did once use the "professional" tall silver aerosol rustoleum cans and that hardened almost immediately and wouldn't come off. I was making a V2 lightsaber and that was so tough haha

Is there any special time frame for re-coats?

16. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No, with the heat it dries almost instantly so you can paint till you're done.

I normally paint everything while it is dissembled and then assemble the blast and apply a final blend coat before I burnish the paint

17. chubsANDdoggers

Hoth MGC build.. 0699d1065aac8f9fb9b9c9dddae904e2.jpg

Got the new 3/4 light port in.. 77abafda3ed3853edd42be193bad4961.jpg ef7a17b24333a5ac178e25486f4a15fd.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Dann and newmagrathea like this.
  18. Dann

Dann Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ew, get rid of that big silly knob!!

Also, you've got the wrong light port on your scope for the Hoth version!

*Gasp

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  19. chubsANDdoggers

Dann Nice catch with the light port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  20. JLinNY

JLinNY Well-Known Member

I don't know anything more than anyone else here, I am looking at the same photos as everyone else. This thread, and the fact that I picked up a MGC recently which I am leaning towards converting into a Hoth, got me looking at the pictures again.

I originally thought I saw some glints from the screws, but I am rethinking that. Why? Because I don't see the reasoning behind leaving a plate with screws exposed like that. It's pretty sloppy, in my opinion. I now believe that a knob from a turn table or some such thing was used, and it covered the whole plate. I think the glue circle came from the center post of a knob like this one (I am not saying they used this exact one!):

knb-105_lg.jpg

I think they installed the disk, painted it with the screws, and installed the knob. You can see a spot of black within the glue circle. Maybe when the knob fell off it pulled up that bit of glue, exposing the back paint. The other thing though, is when I look at the photo of Luke holding that blaster in the snow, I kind of see a lower step like you would see it they used a knob similar to this one:

knb-68_lg.jpg

I really like what Chubs did, I am going to follow his lead with one of these knobs. At least until a better photo comes along. It would be an easy fix right? :)

Shingouki28 likes this.
  21. thd9791

Here's a question: why paint it before installing the knob?

22. Hostamon

Hostamon Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Found this last week. Hoth Blaster.jpg Hoth Blaster.jpg

23. Dann

That's a really cool painting!

Somebody should model that blaster, it looks like it's begging to be printed in PLAstic!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

24. thd9791

thats pretty sick, its like the hoth trooper AR-7 mixed with the Broomhandle Mauser

that being said, I DID find some audio knobs that look like top hats with a very thin rim, almost like we all pictured this hoth disc would be.

My only problem is the paint around the screws, if the knob were capped over them they would also be bare, with glue and stuff.

25. chubsANDdoggers

Solo’s bespin.. 2ad7aa457a8bbef370ad759f1f1f4090.jpg 8e25681e5af70637f2b106f3d2487cad.jpg 8481fa4382f2d4ce2f266c01b9b40750.jpg 04d52413ddb5fcd0c6dee4acde079048.jpg 6dcbd1bb7f496531a41ea0901b8cdfea.jpg 757640e7a14e451d988bd6911697c5bf.jpg dd7285a31039bc54af71c07591b15d3d.jpg 3815a9dbe0619df58750ac778f135a3a.jpg ca3b43ab5b304735318dfc27df8dfa2a.jpg 2d60b14049e782b7e39649b5772bb95d.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Davy Jones, Dann and ataru72ita like this.
  26. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Beautiful. Did you weld up the pin holes for the trigger, etc?

27. chubsANDdoggers

So what pics is there of the right side (with the mystery disk) of the hoth blaster other than these? 9b87ecc8724dc7ce4e8a7f83b9dc1502.jpg 799e33f613cd09846284d9afa5b8677f.jpg 671d5279266241eb04012009e41319b8.jpg 580ee56c90ee99d5fee1a708169af1bb.jpg 397c09a625d2d0f388379f3b76df8f16.jpg 8cd5e6b4782653b22bb6445d9bd005f6.jpg 2cca4c651cd74d6da783edea0fba2f7d.jpg

Field Marshall likes this.
  28. chubsANDdoggers

Thanks. Ya pretty much. Then sanded it down and used some primer as well.

Field Marshall likes this.
  29. Dann

Nice work on that Denix! Love what you did with the trigger.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

30. chubsANDdoggers

Dann likes this.
  31. Shingouki28

Shingouki28 Well-Known Member

As the prop department used Volvo parts for the Han in Carbonite panels, do you reckon there could be a chance they may have nabbed the car stereo dials for the scope mount disc covering?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

32. andyroo

andyroo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Credit to Entropy for this picture that was shared in another thread.

I'm not sure which blaster this is - looks to be an ESB/ROTJ hybrid (someone care to educate me?) but could this give us an insight into the 'mystery knob'?

IMG_0855 (1).JPG

33. thd9791

This is a cast of the ANH hero body and an M19 scope. the S bracket was created to reach the mounting posts and the little feet of the scope. Used popularly in the swamp and in Luke's pocket on Bespin. Not on Hoth unfortunately... Hoth and Bespin hero blasters used a full regular Mauser shaped body.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and on the Muppet show

andyroo likes this.
  34. andyroo

Cheers, it was worth a shot!

35. thd9791

ALways!

I wonder if they cut slots in a dial/knob and we're only seeing 2/3 of the screw head.

I can't get over the fact that there is paint on the disc in the width of the screw heads, but those set pictures don't look like a top hat! How did the paint get there

36. andyroo

Just spotted this posted by @Egon in the 'Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern'. I don't remember seeing this picture in this thread -

hothhanbrown.jpg

Mystery knob on display.

timw1031 and thd9791 like this.
  37. thd9791

I'm beginning to think the plate and central knob that fell off were a later addition to the blaster. They painted the grips at some point, whats the chance they replaced the knob?

38. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

Or they could have made a couple blasters, one with a handle painted black and one with the wood/brown handle. Has anyone tried to screen match a black handle to the brown?

39. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    thd9791 likes this.
  40. thd9791

That looks like the hero blaster setup! On an mgc?

41. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

42. chubsANDdoggers

That’s Han’s “bespin” styled blaster I believe you see pictures there. I know it’s the hoth base set but the only place you actually see the “Hoth” styled blaster is when filming moved to Norway. It’s a strange world back in the late 70’s early 80’s where they seem to not have cared to much about prop continuity.

43. ed-209

ed-209 Well-Known Member

That gun is actually a Man from UNCLE toy gun.

Attached Files:

gunnerk19 likes this.