Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1 Lightsaber Design

I have the worst luck with rubber bands, and now o-rings. Must be something about where we live. What size/material is the appropriate replacement for these?

PXL_20230818_162322924_copy_1612x1209.jpg

I have the worst luck with rubber bands, and now o-rings. Must be something about where we live. What size/material is the appropriate replacement for these?

View attachment 1729989

Oil-Resistant Hard Buna-N O-Ring, 2 mm Wide, 28 mm ID

Attachments

• Obi TPM Assy v10b.png
    Obi TPM Assy v10b.png
    480.5 KB · Views: 60
The only shortcoming I see now is the lack of a groove in the neck to hold it in place. From Dewy's resin stunt thread, a crop of one of the reference images with the o-rings captured in resin and painted silver:

Screenshot_20230819-182918.png

The o-ring appears to be in a groove set a fraction down from the head, enough to leave an all-around gap, which just isn't possible to do on this replica. The 1.5mm on mine doesn't leave a gap when pressed against the bottom of the head.

Actually, looking at it again, the prop o-ring appears rather beefy. I wonder if it is 2mm, and there's a deep enough groove that half of the width is sunk into it.

The only shortcoming I see now is the lack of a groove in the neck to hold it in place. From Dewy's resin stunt thread, a crop of one of the reference images with the o-rings captured in resin and painted silver:

View attachment 1730460

The o-ring appears to be in a groove set a fraction down from the head, enough to leave an all-around gap, which just isn't possible to do on this replica. The 1.5mm on mine doesn't leave a gap when pressed against the bottom of the head.

Actually, looking at it again, the prop o-ring appears rather beefy. I wonder if it is 2mm, and there's a deep enough groove that half of the width is sunk into it.
Excelsior made a point of this in his earlier post when he made his mods on his kit, determining that there was a groove.

Yeah, I saw that. And the subsequent suggestion of a replacement part. If AK and Dewy were to offer one with the Qui-Gon or the resin stunts, I'd be in.
I'd also be down for another run of this hilt at some point with the further research we're doing;D.. but suppose we need to enjoy the stunning prop we have in the current and make those small upgrades work the best we can:)

Do you have a link to the o ring? Did you order it online?

I used this link from Dewy and just picked a different size:

Oil-Resistant Hard Buna-N O-Ring, 2 mm Wide, 28 mm ID

I have read a little about this on some early replies on this thread, but I am still not 100% clear on what the explanation is for this. And I am just super curious about what the consensus kind of is. I know dewy's model overlay proves that the floor saber is the same as the hero reference photos, but I'd be super curious about what the conclusion is on why the emitter lip is higher than the washer in this scene. Anyways this is out of pure curiosity.

Side note, I just completed my build of this hilt and I just am so grateful to be able to own something like this...it's truly incredible what Anakin Starkiller and Dewy have been able to accomplish. When I was a little kid I used to take photos of the TV with my moms old digital camera of this very scene, only imagining what it'd be like to hold the real deal. Dream come true! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1732.png
    IMG_1732.png
    634.5 KB · Views: 58

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back