Death Star Micro Tiles + Trench Run (STL files V8 available)

This is long, loooong overdue - how is it heckin' May already? Well, I didn't *quite* complete this in time for May the Fourth, but almost!

At last, V7 of my tile set is here.

You can go read up on all the details and download the files at Death Star Micro Tiles - monster.party.hat

Tiles-All-Shadow-Jumbo.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose this was inevitable -- someone is selling prints of this tile set on eBay....but they're really bad FDM prints, not resin.

Buyer beware - these are meant to be printed in resin; without scaling them WAY up, they look like utter crap printed on an FDM printer with PLA.

So of course I can't leave them alone once I'm on an updating roll - I've added a whole new category of tiles for a quick update pretty soon, modelling the tiles from the Emperor's Throne Room Tower section of the Death Star II in ROTJ. These are very different from the DS1 tiles in ANH (which also make up a lot of the final battle scene sections of the DSII).

Core-Category-I (1).jpg
Core-Category-I.jpg
untitled.jpg
img2.jpg

The ROTJ tiles all have these crazy pieces of photoetch which were used for the main DSII model; most of the originals are 3" square tiles, modeled here in my standard 20mm size. Any smaller and they wouldn't be able to resolve any of the fine detail in the photoetch sections.

I suppose this was inevitable -- someone is selling prints of this tile set on eBay....but they're really bad FDM prints, not resin.

Well that's pretty crappy. :-( Profiting from your hard work. You've been so generous to share your work here and it's too bad to see someone taking advantage of that by doing an 'unauthorized run' of sorts.

Dan

DS-Micro-Solid-all-tiles-v8-preview.jpg

Here's how the mosaic of all the files in the set has expanded so far. I will likely publish this update after the holiday weekend -- there's still a few more tiles to complete before it's ready. This layout is just for the fun of seeing them all in one image - I had to significantly rearrange it to fit all the new tiles in, which are the ones in green.

View attachment 1579119

Here's how the mosaic of all the files in the set has expanded so far. I will likely publish this update after the holiday weekend -- there's still a few more tiles to complete before it's ready. This layout is just for the fun of seeing them all in one image - I had to significantly rearrange it to fit all the new tiles in, which are the ones in green.
I'm currently printing all of these and they are awesome! Quick question though, the Core E tiles with the cylindrical tower (E4, E0 etc), is the cylindrical tower meant to be oval in shape? The inner diameter appears to be 9mm in one direction, and 8mm in the other (for the 20mm tile sizes). Other size variants also appear oval in shape. Other designs of this shape appear to be symmetrical.

I'm currently printing all of these and they are awesome! Quick question though, the Core E tiles with the cylindrical tower (E4, E0 etc), is the cylindrical tower meant to be oval in shape? The inner diameter appears to be 9mm in one direction, and 8mm in the other (for the 20mm tile sizes). Other size variants also appear oval in shape. Other designs of this shape appear to be symmetrical.

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Oh wow, I never noticed that, but now that you point it out it looks completely obvious! Nope, that's a defect -- I don't think the original is ovalized. I must have scaled it unevenly at some point during the process and failed to notice. I'll see if I can correct that in the next release.

I'm also trying to do the Pyro Model using your tiles, but for the life of me can't see this one in your files list. Probably just my senility. :p
View attachment 1611961

Not your senility - I'm pretty sure that's a minor variation I haven't modeled.

Well, that took a lot longer than anticipated, but I just posted V8 of the Death Star Tiles STL set.
As usual, it's up here - Death Star Micro Tiles - monster.party.hat

The biggest addition here is “Category I”, the set of Death Star 2 tiles from Return of the Jedi, as posted above. I also completed “Category H”, based on 8 of the high-altitude DS1 tiles, and added a new original tile to the Originals category.

This does still have the slightly ovalized interior of the cylindrical tower in the Category E tiles; I wasn't able to easily correct that. I FINALLY don't have any more tiles on my queue of tiles to model, so I'll spend a few cycles trying to re-do that one at some point.

With all the size variations, this brings the total number of files in the set to a mind boggling 237!

Core-Category-I2.jpg
DS-Micro-Solid-for-blog-all-tiles.jpg

Attachments

• DS-Micro-Solid-for-blog-all-tiles2.jpg
    DS-Micro-Solid-for-blog-all-tiles2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 66

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back