Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

what is your colour mix for the falcon, If you mention floquil or master colours I will cry, if you have an equivalent colour I would appreciate it

EDITED

As I live in the UK the only access I have to Floquil "Grime" is a sample I made on holiday a few years ago (they don't like you taking paints on planes!). I've been playing around trying to find a mix with Tamiya flat acrylics. The raw plastic of the Deagostini parts seem to be a fair match for Grime.

My closest bet in Tamiya is:

33% FX-14 JA Grey (gives it the green hue that Grime seems to have)
33% FX-57 Buff
33% FX-2 White

In the photo you'll see several swatches painted on the hull part, they are in order:

1. JA Grey + white and JA Grey undiluted
2. Buff
3. Buff + white
4. My mix of JA Grey, Buff and white.

tamiya-falcon-grime-mix.JPG

I wish there was a simpler answer Vacformedhero!!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you GrahamT that is excellent and seeing Floquil Grime sample next to the deagostini part shows how accurate it is, I can use the parts I have as a guide for my hasbro .
brilliant thank you

I'm not exactly sure when it got started but I've seen a lot of references to the real 32" falcon being painted with a reefer white/grime mix but this isn't accurate. The 32" falcon was painted in straight grime. During the decision making process on colors for the master replicas falcon it was decided to use a 50/50 mix of grime and reefer white to make the model more closely resemble the falcon as seen on screen as the lighting makes it look lighter. What always struck me as odd however is that even though it was decided to use the lighter mix, the actual production pieces were considerably darker than straight grime, lol.

The 32" falcon was painted in straight grime.

Ah, I stand corrected. I probably mixed up the MR 50/50 story with ILM - I didn't know they made it lighter to match the filmed appearance. I'm amazed too, as undiluted Grime is quite green in hue - and with weathering it would go quite dark. Deagostini's raw plastic is lighter than Grime, but the correct hue - which would fit with it following the MR method.

Thanks for filling in the correct info.

Having just spent a couple of trips to Paris to see the falcon and slave 1 I don't think it is straight grime and it's def lighter than you think. I def won't be painting it grime colour after seeing it

Haha that's funny Guy !

I really think they used straight grime, she is very dark. And they most of the time used paints straight from the jars, no mix...

The lighting for the display can have a drastic affect on how light or dark the models appear. Grime looks pretty dark in the bottle but on a model this size it can look very light under certain lighting.

And I love these pics you're posting Tox!

The lighting for the display can have a drastic affect on how light or dark the models appear. Grime looks pretty dark in the bottle but on a model this size it can look very light under certain lighting.

And I love these pics you're posting Tox!
Very interesting, how was the 5 footer painted in comparison

To be fare I was distracted by the pink and green monster but still think it was lighter in tone than Grime but your pics do suggest I was going blind at this point

Colors can be funny sometimes. On something small the same color can look much darker than on something larger. Change up the lighting and it looks different still. When I repainted my MR falcon the grime looked nearly white in comparison to the base coat already on it. Certain light does bring out the yellow/tan tones in it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting, how was the 5 footer painted in comparison

Not sure on that one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbhdubf5qd2w9ac/AAAmB7d1qyhXSmK-np6l4Y15a?dl=0

ok so im hoping that the above link will take people to a file ive just put on my dropbox. its photos i acquired in a file called esb falcon. im assuming its the right one.

of course if the link gives you permission to edit, remove add willie pics or in any way mess with my entire dropbox, please let me know and ill put them back up using a different format. i hereby state i am a computer thickie and quite frankly im amazed i got this far without my little brothers help.

ive just added some more, be warned, the ones at the end are a mixture of anh and esb, im presuming that the names on the pictures come up so people can work out the mr falcon pics from the rest too.

Last edited:

ok so im hoping that the above link will take people to a file ive just put on my dropbox. its photos i acquired in a file called esb falcon. im assuming its the right one.

of course if the link gives you permission to edit, remove or in any way mess with my entire dropbox, please let me know and ill put them back up using a different format. i hereby state i am a computer thickie and quite frankly im amazed i got this far without my little brothers help.

AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing these ESB falcon photos, Great reference is much appreciated!

ive just put some more stuff in there, I've just looked at it on my ipad so I know I haven't given everyone access to 'ahem' the wonderful pictures from honeymoon. I have however noticed that for some reason quite a few haven't uploaded so I'll have another go at wine o'clock tonight. I'll also have a chance to have a look at the paint zips at the end so I'm gonna have some questions about those from the experts for sure.

Last edited:
Many thanks for these images. My 5ft Falcon file is bursting with images but my 32in Falcon file is like a starving Ethiopian and can always use more.

of course if the link gives you permission to edit, remove add willie pics or in any way mess with my entire dropbox, please let me know and ill put them back up using a different format. i hereby state i am a computer thickie and quite frankly im amazed i got this far without my little brothers help.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back